Back Once Again: Heroes of Might & Magic VI

By Jim Rossignol on August 18th, 2010 at 9:39 am.

But who actually funds this extravagance? The taxpayer, no doubt.
(I was going for “Sixth Time’s The Hex”, but it didn’t fit.) Anyway, seems that Joystiq’s waggling info-nose has picked up the scent of a new Heroes of Might & Magic game, which is being developed by Black Hole, who previous made Warhammer: Mark Of Chaos. It will, once again, be a detail mixture of turn-based strategy and RPG, and it’s due some time next year. CGI trailer below.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. TotalBiscuit says:

Let’s hope it’s better optimised than Mark of Chaos, with it’s 3 minute loading screens.

2. pipman300 says:

i forgot mark of chaos existed until now. for reals.

• Raum says:

Well, it wasn’t a very good game.

It did, however, have very good cinematics (the best intro movie ever, actually). By the looks of it, Digic isn’t involved this time, though.

3. Skinlo says:

Hmm, was that a Balrog?

4. coldwave says:

I’m not really sure if I want a new HoMM game.

5. Hippo says:

Joystiq got the title wrong. It’s not called Heroes of Might & Magic VI. I’ll let you find out what the real title is yourself. :-)

• Phinor says:

That’s one decision I really can’t understand. Why did they feel the need to change something well-known and established ever so slightly to something that reads hundred times worse than the original? Yet they insist on saying that it’s the sixth game of the series.

• stahlwerk says:

Simple: More colons, of course! It’s an advanced marketing technique that wasn’t available when the series was first launched. You may ask: “how does it work?” to which I will answer: “heck if I know!”

6. jalf says:

@SanguineAngel

Interesting, I really liked 5. Thought it was a refreshing take on the series (and not least, it really brought some improvements to make combat flow better)

Anyway, yay! Sounds like fun. Why the square grid on the first pic though? Did Civ5 steal their hexes? :D

7. Alexandros says:

I am really quite sure that I want a new HoMM game. I WANT IT. NOW!

• Chris D says:

Elemental comes out in about a week and is not a million miles away from this kind of thing

• pakoito says:

Brad Wardell owes me 40$ I payed for Demigod.

• Chris D says:

I can understand being mad about Demigod if you picked it up early and couldn’t play it but you should probably be targetting Gas Powered rather than Stardock who tried to fix it and by and large did, if a little too late for some.

8. Leah says:

That is looking fabulous! I’d love to play that game. Thanks for the post!

9. K says:

A developer without a good game to their name and a Heroes V engine screenshot showing the human army of grey and brown fighting the undead army of grey and green when the art design in V was the best the series has had since II doesn’t look too exciting,

On the other hand I was pretty skeptical of V, and now I consider it the best in the series, so here’s hoping. Then again I was pretty hopeful of IV, and look how that turned out.

10. innokenti says:

Blurgh. Mark of Chaos was about as pointless and horrible portrayal of Warhammer in Video Game form as you could get (all they had to do was make an exact copy of Dark Omen and update the UI… but no). Heroes V, for all of its faults, became quite the fantastic game by the time of Tribes of the East that it was claiming to be at the beginning – they really did end up doing so many things right once they had more time to do it.

Ubisoft should have given Nival free reign rather than using them as lackeys (likewise with Arkane for Dark Messiah) and passing the game on to Black Hole is. It doesn’t engender much hope, really.

I’ll be over there playing Heroes II then. (I’d say enough is enough and stop flogging a dead series, but Heroes is one of the few bigish TBS games out there and I doubt they’d scrap it and fund some other quality TBS instead. So I’m sure we can put up with it).

11. InSnideJokeSayethTheKing says:

Doesn’t quite look like a bounty fit for a King.

12. Choca says:

Sixth Time’s The Hex wouldn’t have worked anyway since there are no hexes in the game.

13. Qjuad says:

Please be good please please

14. rocketman71 says:

Nice. But useless if it comes with UbiShit DRM.

I’d rather have a new Age of Wonders, frankly.

• Vinraith says:

Pretty much exactly this. I enjoyed V, and I’m sure I would buy VI if it isn’t crippled with UbiDRM. However, a new Age of Wonders game would be a much bigger deal to me.

15. RuySan says:

I love the series since the 1st one (hell, even since King’s Bounty), but V was horrible. All those corridors turned the series from a TBS to an RPG, and not even a good one. Lets see if this one is better, altough i don’t have my hopes too high.

16. Freud says:

HoMM is a great series which has failed to evolve. There is no real reason to play anything but HoMM 3 these days. Meanwhile the new King’s Bounty games have taken what is good about the the genre and added humour, story and more difficulty.

Once upon a time I would have been quite excited about the announcement of a new HoMM game but now they have to work hard to earn my interest.

• Cooper says:

I got HoMM3 from GoG a while back. It played like a King’s Bounty without the humour. Nor the level of imagination in unit design. Found it pretty dull to be honest.

• jalf says:

Failed to evolve? HOMM5 did quite a few innovations. Even a few that Kings Bounty would have benefited from.

• innokenti says:

Arguably HoMM IV evolved an awful lot. Many changes and additions to the series, but not quite enough time or resources to finish it all off. HoMM V took it all back (and then forward again), though I don’t think it’s stagnated really.

Across the five games there is plenty for everyone to enjoy.

17. GC says:

May be interesting while waiting for the next Fantasy Wars…

18. Paulinc says:

HoMM III was the pinnacle of the series. HoMM IV tried new ideas but simplified the game to much. HoMM V was more of a remake of HoMM III but did nothing to improve on the formula of the third game. Who knows, maybe the formula cant be improved! As Freud said they will have to work hard to earn my interest.

19. RogB says:

i do love the quality of the character models in this (and 5), but im not massively interested in the game itsself.

oh, I’d an expansion for mount+blade with this quality of finish!..

20. Antlia says:

I don’t want this, the third one in the series is the best.

21. Azradesh says:

Great another Ubisoft game I want to buy but won’t. :(

22. Sidorovich says:

What was that other game that RPS had said Ubi had dropped the DRM for?

I love the HOMM series but will not buy it if it comes with that awful ‘treat consumers like criminals’ DRM protection racket.

• Chris D says:

That would be RUSE. Hopefully it’s a sign they’re backing away from this whole ridiculous policy and this game won’t have it either.

• ExplosiveCoot says:

I was really excited about a new HOMM game until I read the comments. Now it might well be the second game I won’t purchase due to UBI’s draconian DRM.

23. Nick says:

Why isn’t it an FPS? What the fuck guys?

24. K says:

To all the people that say III is the best, I have to ask, when was the last time you played any of them?

III is the one I have played the most by far, but that might be more due to it coming out at a time when I had a lot more time to play it. After playing a lot of V (Tribes of the East with the latest patch and the mod to put the original campaign into TotE to be fair, it’s improved quite a bit since the first release as innokenti says.), I’m finding it hard to go back to III with the vastly improved skill and magic system of V.

In fact, the only things III does better than V, in my opinion, are the overworld map, less plot and cutscenes, though they’re embarrassingly bad in both of them, more so in V, hexes, and the campaign picking up speed a lot faster, with V’s campaign having a 5 level tutorial and a few levels more before any real challenge.

Then again I hated the beloved King’s Bounty, in which I felt the two parts of the game worked against each other, with interesting and difficult tactical battles being rewarded with having to run around building up your army again, and exploration and choosing your enemies being rewarded with boring battles where the only challenge was seeing how many medals you can grind off your enemies. In contrast, playing through the Heroes V campaign on the highest difficulty level, I have to play well strategically for the tactical battles to even be winnable, and nearly every map having your enemies grow stronger with time makes the overworld meaningful as opposed to a chore.

• Stenl says:

My favourite thing about III were the short descriptions that you got if you found an artifact or visited any of the places on the map. If V hadn’t removed those, it would be the best HoMM. As far as gameplay mechanics go, V is indubitably the best one. It even did the branching unit upgrades right, unlike IV, which fucked that up completely.

25. YogSo says:

I’m planning to pick HOMMV Complete some time soon. I recently discovered (like, three days ago) that some of the characters from Dark Messiah do make an appearance in the game, just like in the old days with the intertwining plots of the Might & Magic and Heroes series.

26. Riaktion says:

This is good news. I didn’t enjoy HOMM V… it was souless in my opinion… but then I am enjoying Disciples 3 which has been beaten up a bit… so I am probably not a good yard stick.

27. Mechazawa says:

All this talk about HoMM makes me wish they’d make a new Might & Magic game. I loved this RPGs :(

28. Vetotat says:

Ubisoft dropped the Starforce DRM just in time for the HoMM5 release. You can only hope that history will repeat itself this time.

29. wootabaga says:

I’d be interested if Ubisoft dropped their ridiculous ‘always-online’ for this one.

But the prince fellow looked like Seigfried from Soul Calibur, complete with the Soul Calibur, and demon thing looked like a Balrog. Seriously?

Comment on this story