Co-opted: Torchlight II Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on August 18th, 2010 at 4:10 pm.

I heard it's got multiplayer, but I'm not sure I believe it.
Runic want to stress something to you: Torchlight II has co-op play in it. No, it really does. You might say it doesn’t and hold your breath until you turn blue, but it still does. Here’s a trailer to prove it. Oh and the game is out early next year. Before Diablo III, anyway.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. MonkeyMonster says:

Mmmmmm, pretty shinies. Looks good!

2. Serenegoose says:

I find it amusing that I just watched the D3 trailer, looked at the comments, seen a few bewailing the soundtrack, and then come to this trailer, and look! It’s the diablo soundtrack! Lost and wandering in a new game!

(yes, I know that it’s the same guy, but it amuses me regardless.)

Still looking forward to more torchlight, despite having never finished the first. I think one thing I’m noticing when I play an RPG is that I always want more classes, more shiny moves to use, and 3 just wasn’t enough for me.

3. Simon says:

I’ll definitely be grabbing this. Big fan of the original and the fact that the developers listen so closely to their community. Instead of just saying ‘oh, the MMO will be the multiplayer version’, they actually made a whole new damn game with coop. In the words of NEXTWave: This is what they want.

4. KauhuK says:

At least there will be no shortage of action rpgs. Not when Diablo 3, Torchlight 2, Dungeon Siege 3 and Grim Dawn are coming soon.

5. Psychopomp says:

I never really got the obsession over multiplayer for Torchlight. Oh no, I don’t get to clickclickclickclickclick with another person?

Aside from that, FUCK YES NO MORE SLOGGING THROUGH THAT DUNGEON FOREVER! John was really right, it needed outdoors.

• Jimmy says:

in my humble opinion, Diablo (1 and 2) multiplayer was approximately 88875498347183 times more fun than their respective single players. Why wouldn’t this be true for Torchlight?

6. stahlwerk says:

Is this still Ogre3d? It looks terrific!

7. Ian says:

LOOK AT ALL THAT WOW GAYNE-… Oh, wait…

8. Lobotomist says:

Clickclickclickclick gotta get this one clickclick

9. Freud says:

For me, the only worthwhile multiplayer in a game like this is something like battle.net (closed servers with protection against cheating and ability to trade stuff). I could care less about co-op. I tend to get manic about these things and don’t have the patience to wait around for people to play with me.

So for me, they still haven’t added multiplayer. But for those that like co-op, this is of course excellent news.

10. Jason Moyer says:

Don’t care much about the co-op, but I’m liking the (hopefully randomly generated) overland.

• Veracity says:

@Jason Moyer (in case of reply meander)

I think they said it’s all procedural maps in the initial interview, presumably based on a modified version of the “chunk” system they already have. Looks a bit corridory, as outside goes, but we haven’t seen enough for that to be anything but rash speculation. Not that I’d mind, as Torchlight wasn’t quite corridory enough for my liking. I don’t think outside is something dungeon crawlers usually manage very well, but you can hardly fault this in terms of response to what their fans have asked for.

I do wonder a bit why Perfect World is ok with it. Torchlight was a small-scope neat idea that turned into a (surprisingly?) effective money-spinner, but lack of any multiplayer meant it clearly had minimal conflict of interest with a F2P MMO in the same vein. Maybe I’m not understanding some aspect of what the eventual MMO is supposed to be, because it sounded a bit like Torchlight with instanced co-op, and so does Torchlight 2.

11. LukeAllstar says:

definitely getting torchlight 2
    the first one was awesome but it got boring after a time playing alone

now i can play with my friends and it will be awesome for sure
    new outdoor area looks nice

i bet they will even make torchlight 3 or the torchlight mmo before Diablo3 is out!

12. Hodge says:

The first one was a bit of a directionless slog, but I liked it enough that I’ll still probably grab this when it’s released. It should be good for when I’m wearing my LAN pants.

13. Tei says:

I hope the game actually enhance the diablo 2 formula or add another working formulas. Mythos was good, and aparently Torchlight was big (the way PvZ is big) but It never clicked to me. And I want more than Mythos 1.5 / Tortchlight 2.

I see really good things on this video. For once: It looks clear, even on the parts where theres firaballs everywhere, the whole screen make sense, this means very good design and great design decissions, or maybe lots of dumb luck… either way is a great achievement.

I am not really interested in Diablo3 because seems a game expensive to make, and expensive to buy, I have something personal againt the 60€ pricetag.

14. ZIGS says:

At this rate they’re gonna release Torchlight 3 before Diablo 3… and it’ll probably be better. And cheaper

• DrGonzo says:

And yet Diablo 3 will still sell 4 Bazillion times more.

According to my spellcheck Bazillion is a word.

15. Arglebargle says:

Torchlight I was kinda fun, but awful interface is evil. No more click to move for me.

16. frenz0rz says:

Huzzah, Baal runs for all!

17. SuperNashwan says:

What I really admire about these guys is the business plan, starting off small with an appropriately priced and focused game and then building on that iteratively towards the eventual MMO. Seems a more sensible way to build an MMO than sponging up tens of millions of dollars of investment and squirting it straight into some untested behemoth.

• Bru says:

Well they already went through all that with Hellgate. These guys basically knew that they had an uphill battle with investors. Now these guys are being remembered for a quirky, fun action rpg rather than Hellgate, which is a good thing.

18. Darkdobe says:

I had buckets of fun with the first, especially with a few mod/addon thingies, particularly random map generation.
    Multiplayer will turn this into my time absorbing clickfest of the month/year without any trouble at all.

19. ColdSpiral says:

I love Torchlight’s style, and

Very much enjoyed the pace. I was constantly

inspired to return and seek out even more

powerful pieces of loot. The random levels were great, and I anticipate

exploring a greater range of them and spending many hours

with friends in Torchlight II.