Lord of The Rings: War in the North

By Kieron Gillen on August 18th, 2010 at 9:07 am.

She looks like a fun time.

Going through the Gamecom 2010 trailers, I noticed Lord of the Rings: War In the North, by console Action-RPG specialists Snowblind (Including My Delightful Fiance and Jim’s Delightful Girlfriend’s favoured Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance). And it’s on the PC. This is, unless I’m very mistaken, the first time they’ve brought one of their games onto the PC, which means it’s time to raise a glass to cross-format development and/or throw that self-same glass into the fire (Depending on how annoyed you get by cross-format development). Go trailer!

If you’re annoyed we haven’t mentioned the game before, This would be a good time to write “(n)old(or)” in the comment thread, I suspect.

, , , .

1. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Don’t forget – if you throw the glass into the fire, you have to make a toast! And also lose 50p!

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

no one gets my “Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon” reference? I feel old…and nerdy :)

• eph3meral says:

I’m afraid it’s a buck now at the place.

2. Dominic White says:

The Dark Alliance series was remarkably fun. Diablo meets more traditional action hack n’ slash with a dash of D&D ruleset. If they can replicate that for LoTR, I won’t be unhappy.

3. Tei says:

Jumping before you backstab some dude seems un-tactical. The sound of you jumping can alert the dude, so he can avoid, you will fall to ground in a inferior tactical position, so him have the upper hand to kill you. Standing in the center of the village, withouth cover, is not smart.
    And, what with the wizard? maiar seems to be more the schemer type, that fight trought others, and resorting to violence only as last resort.

• pipman300 says:

because why not have a wizard? they’re pretty much the only cool part of fantasy. everything else is just prancing elves and that’s no good.

• megalomania says:

The wizard is odd. The only one it could be is Radagast, and he’s meant to spend all his time talking to birds.

• Alexander Norris says:

Every wizard in LotR is actually basically an angel.

I’m not particularly pleased that they’ve decided to go with the action-hero spell-slinging wizard thing. I don’t really see what the point in using a license is if you’re just going to remove the stuff that makes it unique and try to make it more generic.

• pipman300 says:

you can’t really make lotr more generic. it set the standard for generic fantasy to follow.

• Stenl says:

It isn’t generic if it was the first to do it. There is a TVTropes page for this sort of thing, but I am not going to link it, because I know the hivemind hates TVTropes.

DarkNoghri says:

Radagast the Brown? Admittedly, all the browns in that trailer look gray, but he was definitely wearing either gray or light blue.

Maybe he’s supposed to be one of the blue wizards, that no one knows anything about? That might give them a bit of leeway.

4. M says:

Also – co-op. Which would be great to have.

5. Kdansky says:

Uncanny Valley ahoi. And they should do something about those stock sound effects.

6. Malagate says:

Sorry, but that screenshot…is that a ghost curled up on the floor holding it’s head? If so, it’s kind of neat but also makes me feel bad for all the potential abused spirits I’ve left lying around.

• pipman300 says:

yeah that’s me, sorry. i was really down about how that cataclysm thing has nothing to do with homeworld :(

7. Xercies says:

Who are you supposed to be playing? Is that Gimli and Aragorn? I can’t tell if it is supposed to be them…they look rubbish.

Anyway i wouldn’t like an RPG in current LOTR times…have a RPG set in one of the simarillion times…maybe the first age or something.

8. Meatloaf says:

Eeaaaah…. I don’t know. Show some actual footage of the game, then maybe… But right now it’s just an awkward cutscene trailer. Same stumpity-bumpity animation problems as the rest.

But in theory, I’d love a co-op action RPG set in Middle Earth, especially one by the folks who made the Dark Alliance games.

9. terry says:

I wish they’d make an open-world LOTR game. I want to play as a wandering pipeweed seller, hide from enemies inside trees and get high with Tom Bombadil.

• TheTingler says:

Lord of the Rings Online. Moreover, it’s free to play from September 10th, so you have no excuse.

I spent my first week on it just sightseeing. Finding Tom Bombadil’s hut deep in the forest and Bilbo’s stone trolls after ages of searching was such a thrill. Of course I was running away from enemies a lot.

10. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Couldn’t care less about yet another LOTR game….I demand a Discworld (MMO)RPG I can spend rest of my days in!

11. gnome says:

I wish they simply stuck to console. Preferably something I’d never own.

12. Ian says:

Man, those orcs are a bit hard of hearing aren’t they?

13. MajorManiac says:

I think this has the potential to be glorious. I’ve always liked the idea of some Elvish-Ninja action.

ChainsawHands says:

“(n)old(or)”? That pun was a sin(dar). I’m avari disappointed. This will be eld(ar) against you.

15. malkav11 says:

I think there’s been at least one PC game using their engine before (the recent Bard’s Tale game), but nothing Snowblind actually made themselves.

16. DrGonzo says:

Well I’m put off by the Lord of the Rings licence. But I’m hoping this will be a coop Gauntlet-like.

• DigitalSignalX says:

They could have avoided a lot of criticism by just making a new IP *pause for laughter*. I like the idea of it, but am scared of the console to PC inherent garbage factor AND wanton hijinks LOTR lore.

17. Brandon Castro says:

Maybe it’s one of the blue wizards? Tolkien never wrote much about them, and it’d be kinda neat.
    But really, this doesn’t look anything like Lord of the Rings. It looks much more like a hyper-violent Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings than an extra biblical story from Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings.

• Crisp says:

I’m pretty sure it’s supposed to be a man, not one of the wizards, since if you go to the site it says “choose your race” and they have man, elf, and dwarf. Also, that elf looks female, since apparently you can’t have a fantasy game without filling the “hot elf chick” quota.

Basically what I’m trying to say is that the lore is already being raped before we’ve even begun. I don’t understand why it’s so hard to stay within the framework of what Tolkien created. Oh well, maybe the gameplay will be good.

18. Oliver says:

Seriously? 3 player co-op? Who does that?

It’s not a ‘fellowship’ with 3 players. It’s a small group.

19. Davie says:

Whaaaaaaat.

I can’t help but be apprehensive. This doesn’t look like Lord of the Rings. This looks like every fantasy action RPG ever. If they can’t even make the prerendered cutscene interesting, there’s a problem.

Also, I wish LOTR Online wasn’t the only game that looked different from the films. This one has the same greyish, pointy-faced orcs, the same pachyderm trolls, the same flat-topped dwarven helmets…I just think, seven years after the film came out, that we could maybe abandon that look and move on to something original.