On The Menu: Diablo III Artisans Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on August 18th, 2010 at 2:51 pm.

Crafting in Diablo III, eh? Well, kind of. NPCs are going to be artisans who can do some crafting for you, as well as acting as vendors. They’re going to be characters you can – once you’ve discovered them – return to time and again, and they’ll develop and improve their skills as you bring them more interesting materials. Of course Blizzard don’t want to pull us too far away from killing beasts, meaning crafting is going to be sustained by salvaging the loot that will fall, so inevitably, from the pockets of your enemies. Anyway, go listen to Blizzard’s Jay Wilson explain how it works. It’s a huge aspect of the game that we’ve seen nothing of before. The slow hovering over menus in this trailer is quite at odds with the undead obliterations we’ve seen thus far, although it inevitable returns to that at the end of the footage, for a bit of gibby punctuation.

, , .

1. Navagon says:

I think it’s far too early to be getting interested in this one. Unless it makes a leap up their list of priorities we’re talking 2012 at the absolute earliest here. Which is a shame as it’s the only thing they’ve got going on that could potentially be of any interest to me.

2. heartlessgamer says:

I don’t know… seems just so like everything else in the hack’n'slash genre. I guess that’s what Blizzard does; refines a known type of game with superior execution. Doesn’t get me as nearly excited about the game as seeing the class previews from years gone by.

3. Dominus says:

i really like the background music.
    yet I’m still pissed that Matt Uelmen is not on the project :<

4. colinmarc says:

That’s mature content, alright. Wow.

5. Freud says:

I normally hate grinding, but when it comes to Diablo 3 it seems hard not to like it. Grinding is the whole point of the game.

6. Cooper says:

I hope those scenes aren’t very indicative.

I really liked the “Gay WoWness” of the first screens…

• Phydaux says:

I was thinking the same thing. The video is so brown, they need to inject some colour into it.

7. 12kill4 says:

Blizzard’s marketing dept. is acting rather sly with this video…

8. DigitalSignalX says:

YAY Diablo 3!!! Wait, isn’t Bob Ross dead?

9. Jon says:

Love the “looking at rainbows” quote from the video. I’m pleased the crafting systems seems to have been streamlined from the one in D2.

10. Hypatian says:

“… return to monster-fighting and rainbow-viewing.”

Ahh, Blizzard. I admire their ability to take Angry Internet Man criticism and turn it into a great running gag in their favor.

11. Dreamhacker says:

Whoa, that’s a lot of colors!

12. tomwaitsfornoman says:

Gibby is my favorite adjective.

13. Zinic says:

Seems interesting at least. I like the idea that you’ll be able to improve artisans as you progress, but there’s one hitch though.

Seems like it’ll take longer for you to return to towns this way, what with being able to basically disenchant items instead of having to sell them. Was one of the few reasons I went back at all to begin with.

14. rocketman71 says:

Meh. Craft me something to not have to use Battle.Net and then we’ll talk.

15. Sidorovich says:

Doesn’t really set the pulses racing though does it? Needed to be interspesed with more gibbiness.

16. Veldjes! says:

What a shame (also,what a rotten way to die.But oh, well…) I heard a bits from D3 music and… well… I think it is a bit crappy…at least in comparison with such masterpieces as Tristram (D1), Wilderness (D2) and Rogue (D2). Comparisons are odious, but still… Matt come back!!!:(

• Veldjes! says:

And yes, i clicked the reply button under the post of Dominus.

17. Demonbooker says:

Yeah, I don’t know if I’d even go so far as to call the Horadric Cube recipies ‘Crafting’ so much as “Grinding till your eyes bleed so that you can make an item that you are now 20 levels beyond needing.”

18. BuzzKiel says:

Back to rainbow viewing…

19. Oliver says:

I hate to say this, but by the time this actually comes out, it’s going to be very old news for me. I’m sure it’ll still sell in the many, many millions, but I won’t buy it. I’ll likely be playing the incredibly polished Torchlight MMO instead.

20. Starky says:

I think I will indeed go back to watching Rainbow

Then I’ll go back to playing with my twanger!

21. dethgar says:

Nice graphics…for 2004.

• pipman300 says:

that means i can actually run it :D

• GHudston says:

Blizzard never do “bleeding edge” graphics that only a handful of their customers can run. They make it so that the vast majority of players can run it on good settings, and even more players can run it on lower settings if need be.

They make up for it by having superior design and stylistic choices. Design > Polycount.

22. Starky says:

It’s a blizzard game they are NEVER cutting edge graphics, they are always designed to run well on an average machine.

Besides which, it is alpha footage, most of the shader/make game prettier stuff probably isn’t done.

23. LintMan says:

I really, really hope that all the crafting materials don’t take up inventory spots. The worst thing about Diablo 2, Torchlight, et al is the inventory management and trying to juggle collecting the sets and matching gems and runes and those items you can’t quite use yet and whatnot else within a tiny inventory.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

As you can (or should be able to) see, they do take up item space, but they stack per type and take up one spot whereas large items take much more space. In the end this will definitely help managing your inventory.

• Cymril says:

It also looks like they’ve gone back on the “one item slot per item” thing they were doing before, unless they’ve already announced this and I just missed it.

24. Tetragrammaton says:

i have a feeling this is going to feel incomplete after Dins Curse.