Pretend That We’re Dead: e7

By Kieron Gillen on August 19th, 2010 at 11:30 am.

He's going to be trouble. I can sense it.

Time for a relaxing web-game? Well, e7 is partially it and partially not. As in, it’s more than just the sweeping over the alien environment in a stylish-reduced-palette style. Just difficult enough to be worth playing, I quite dig this. Woosh! Woosh across the landscape! Also, floor-deformation and bouncing. Thanks to Bakka for pointing at me. Play it here.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Jayt says:

Played this game earlier and had a weird premonition it would be posted on RPS.

2. Ian says:

Tried it yesterday and got sort of bored.

3. Diziet says:

Bricks are heavy. L7 references on RPS?

4. CMaster says:

Played it yesterday.
    Not bad, nifty terrain derformation.
    Thought the style and setting called out for more of an adventure, less of a combat platoformer though.

5. Nicolas says:

I approve.

6. Cooper says:

They can’t hear a word we’ve said

7. tigershuffle says:

L7…………ahh happy mmrs of Reading Fest in early 90s.
    im sure the singer did something frightful with her “things that help ladies rollerskate” by throwin it in to the crowd. *shudders*

pass on the game though

8. Freudian Trip says:

Played this a couple of days ago. Grabbed me for about 30 seconds then got bored.

9. Isometric says:

Love the piano in later levels and just the general relaxing atmosphere. I didn’t feel the ending was fitting though.

10. medwards says:

Didn’t like that you couldn’t retry the final level. Blew it pretty early on, figured I knew what I had to do but was just dumped to a credits screen. Very aggravating.

• Sagan says:

I’m pretty sure that it isn’t possible to finish the last level.

11. aaron says:

Yes, I completely agree. I felt the combat was unnecessary. It just slowed down the exploration and made it less interesting.

12. Alex Bakke says:

Erugh, I knew a typo would make emailing people problematic.

13. Zyrxil says:

Eh, wasn’t impressive. The visual aesthetic is quite nice, but the combat mechanics suck, and the piano music feels quite mismatched. Plus, for an intricate alien planet it’s incredibly linear and flat.

14. Rugged Malone says:

Really liked the mood of this one! Haven’t reached the end yet (I’m playing it during compiles) but the terrain deformation mechanic is really inspired.

Riding the wave over the spikes was a really nice moment for me…there was something very organic about the slow pace that felt…touching in a way. Like being forced to take a moment, take a breath, seek some balance.

It would have been nice for there to be a bit more happening story-wise; the early parts seemed to be setting up a mystery but (at least by sector 12G) it doesn’t seem to go very far with that.

15. Pheonix K says:

Fun little game. Would have liked a bit more platforming / terrain-navigating, less combat. Also, the ending was kind of lacking (but the poem at the end of the credits started to make up for it). Scenery is pretty, music is soothing, but some of the frustrating parts (wall jumping + combat) clashed with the aesthetic the game was trying to establish. 4 thumbs out of 5.