Sound Of The Underground: Dwarfs Beta

By Kieron Gillen on August 19th, 2010 at 10:20 am.

This is the menu screen. The rest of the game is more functional.

Delirium Wartner pointed the Beta of the Tripwire-signed indie game Dwarfs at me, and I’ve had a quick crack at breaking open the soil and quite like it. While the title will bring Dwarf Fortress to mind, it’s much more like Diggers (and, of course, the recent Delve Deeper). While there’s multiple modes, the key one is the arcade one which generates a random underground and charges you to explore it without being over-ran with goblins, released water or unleashed lava. My main reservation is that the direction arrows you create influence both the incredibly weak diggers (who you’ll want to keep away from combat) and the handy warriors (who you’ll want to guide towards it), but it’s agreeably chaotic, gold-chasing. You can get the beta from here. I suspect Delirium got the link from Indie Games, so let’s link to them and show this video…

, , , , .

1. tome says:

“My beard sense is tingling”. Oh, I dig.

2. Quasar says:

ZOMG A STRAGETY GAME ABOUT DIGGING!? Just like DUNGEON KIPPER.

Seriously though, looks cool. Will have a go.

3. Lacero says:

I loved diggers. Even though it was crap.

Lets give this a go.

4. Quasar says:

Having played this for a bit, I can safely say it’s really good, if a bit frustrating at times.

For example, I just left a game in which I’d sent one dwarf from the home-base to blow up some dynamite, and then immediately spawned several soldiers to deal with some incoming goblins. These soldiers promptly followed the path I’d set for the first dwarf, before obligingly leaping to their deaths down the hole the dynamite had created -_-

That, and my dwarves seemed desperate to dig through the walls I had obviously placed for a reason, making controlling water flow impossible.

With a few tweaks though, I predict I could lose hours into this.

• Rob says:

I found it handy to deploy defensive dynamite around doors, usually kept them in check (miners seem to be expendable, so if they all choose to walk down the resulting hole that only simplifies things)

5. Bald Space Marine says:

Dwarfs are the new Space Marines. It’s now the third indie game I see which features Dwarfs. What’s the next step Bald Dwarfs? Space Dwarfs? Dwarf Marines?

6. ChaK_ says:

dwarf fortress 3D?

• Clovis says:

Huh? Dwarf Fortress is in 3D. This looks 2D.

• pipman300 says:

lol i wonder if any of the cultists posters on their forums are whining about how this will take away money that could of went towards tithes to their lord thy god toady one king of dwarves master of fortresses donations.

• pipman300 says:

damn what i forgot to put strikes pretend there’s strikes in there somewhere

7. Quests says:

damn, i hoped it was a puzzle-adventure, judging by the number of items on screen.

8. Nesetalis says:

anyone notice the tag says “dwards”? :p

9. trjp says:

This is fun tho there are some control issues and the ‘random’ arcade mode can be mean-as-hell at times.

Way better than Delve Deeper tho, which holds an award for ‘least helpful tutorial ever made’.

10. BallisticsFood says:

1: Dwarf fortress is like a vast, complex machine that only keeps running if you prod it in just the right way.

2: Dungeon keeper is like a bouncy castle made of evil and imps.

3: Dwarfs is like herding cats. Cats that don’t want to be herded. And have an addiction to tasty, tasty lava. Oh, and did I mention it cost money to wave your arms at the cats?

All in all, I like it, although it is rather irritating that the only way to make any cave ‘safe’ (even if it’s filled with water) is to encase it in rock and make a hole at the entrance so the vertically and mentally challenged little blighters don’t dig through your carefully made wall that has
    “Danger! Danger! Risk of flooding!”
    plastered across the front.

11. killingbutterflies says:

Sweet! I’ve been wanting a Diggers remake for years.
    Downloading!

12. Max says:

I find it strange that people are complaining about dwarves accidentally causing floods. Isn’t that the whole point of the game? You aren’t supposed to be meticulously controlling every dwarf (in fact, the tutorial recommends avoiding micro), instead you just let the dwarves do their thing while you fix their mistakes.

My only qualm is that laying paths can be a bit tedious. It would be nice if it automatically chose the path of least resistance – only digging when their isn’t a faster way to just walk there – but I can see how that would be difficult to program. And it would be nice if there were a faster way to move the view around (like a hotkey that would jump to new cave discoveries). Later on in the game it starts feeling like the furthest zoom setting still isn’t far enough.

Overall, very fun. I look forward to the full version!

13. killingbutterflies says:

Yeah, I like this. Its got potentially. The feeling of hopelessness as a wave of water slowly floods your mine is awesome.

14. MedievalNerd says:

It’s amazing how this “looks” like a total ripoff from Dwarf Fortress.

Top down view + that little water mechanic…

I’m concerned.

15. GorjoTheGrim says:

I guess immitation is flattery. Toady One is the original.