Jagged Alliance 2: Reloaded Announced

By Kieron Gillen on August 20th, 2010 at 3:30 pm.

The weekend away in Brighton had already gone awry.

There was a little – though less than I expected, I’ll admit – naysaying about the announcement of Jagged Alliance Onlne. Well, those who craved a more traditional Jagged Alliance are getting it too. In short, it’s a complete re-make with re-done graphics, a new UI and tutorials to ease us into the world of this turn-based tactical-combat game/management combo. There’s some comparison shots from the remake and the original over at Worthplaying. What’s not yet clear is what it means for the previously announced Jagged Alliance 3. Either this is it or there’s still that to look forward to. I suspect (and hope) for the latter. And – to state the obvious – I suspect there’s many people reading this who’d kill for a X-COM: Reloaded style remake. C’mon 2k! Do both!

, .

1. Solivagant says:

Are these bitComposer Games guys any way linked to the old devs of the Jagged Alliance series? I remember The Jagged Edge, which was a game pretty close to Jagged Alliance but suffered from a lot of issues and I just couldn’t play it beyond the first mission.

• Jockie says:

I only know of bitcomposer because they published Stalker: Call of Pripyat, a quick wiki research suggests that they have little to do with Sirtech.

• pipman300 says:

Yeah it’s Meduna, the link has the remake shots right along side pictures from the original Meduna which is a sandy place with a (non fuctioning afaik) airport.

• pipman300 says:

damnit pretend that’s a reply to the thread about brownness

2. Dominic White says:

If they don’t bring in official help from the team that made the V1.13 mega-fanpatch for JA2, they have already failed. Those guys have turned the original from a merely great game into a timeless classic. Overhauled AI, more freeform gameplay, more options, more logical/realistic combat. It’s all good.

• Alexander Norris says:

This. New graphics are good and all, as is the apparent change of setting, but 1.13 is what makes JA2 worth playing. JA2 without 1.13, even in shiny 3D, won’t be nearly as good.

• sfury says:

This 1.13 mega-fan-patch sounds interesting but I bet they’ll port it shortly.

If the game is moddable enough that is. Otherwise I’d be a huge mistake however you look at it.

• Alexander Norris says:

@sfury — haha, no. 1.13 adds about as much content as there was in JA2 vanilla. They won’t “port it shortly” – porting it would require years of remaking art assets, and that’s if JA2:R’s new engine is even vaguely amenable to the way the new content was introduced in 1.13.

• Sigma Draconis says:

Using the improvements of the JA2 1.13 patch for JA2:R would be a great addition. Is there anything that would prevent bitComposer from including those elements in this remake?

• Ozzie says:

JA2 1.12 already is a timeless classic for me.
      I never felt that the features of 1.13 sounded really like must haves, except for the improved AI maybe, but I guess I will start another with 1.13 after I finished the current one if it’s truly so much better. :)

3. Simon says:

I would commit crimes against humanity for an X-COM: Reloaded.

• Andy_Panthro says:

I’d take a little look over at http://ufotts.ninex.info/ if I were you.

Higher resolution graphics, gameplay tweaks, multiplayer and you can play as the aliens.

Currently in open beta.

4. TychoCelchuuu says:

And already in the first post Dominic says exactly what I was going to say. Without 1.13 Jagged Alliance 2 can only grab you for so long. Kitting out your team in the perfect set of gear and guns is a big part of what made JA2 fun, and 1.13 kept that fresh all throughout the game, with all those different attachments, ammo types, guns, pieces of equipment…

I’m also interested to see how they do the destroyable stuff. Hopefully that will be just as good as the original.

Also at this point you’d think they’d just go ahead and make JA3. Heck, make it a sequel on the same island or something, but at least change it up a bit.

5. sfury says:

You mean… I’ll finally be able to finish that game I started about 10 years ago, and never got around to finishing it because it looked more and more outdated and inaccessible as the years passed on, but still I totally loved it and it was the reason I later fell in love with turn-based tactical battles and introduced me to Fallout 1&2 ?

*cries from happiness*

Seriously, I don’t care what any naysayers might uhm.. say, when this gets a pre-order on Steam I’m immediately buying it.

6. robrob says:

Don’t be ridiculous, it’s impossible to make a turn based these days! Impossible!

7. CMaster says:

Indeed. It’s unrealistic to think that this remake could be anything other than an FPS

8. Clovis says:

Hooray, JA2 now with more modern BROWN graphics. WTF? I thought it took place in a jungle.

As much as a I enjoyed JA2, I’m not really interested in a graphics update for it. I don’t remember that being a significant reason why I liked it. Bring on JA3.

• pipman300 says:

ja2 was pretty brown dude.

• pipman300 says:

my god it’s full of brown (and dirt brown roads, and brown buildings).

that’s what ja2 looks like for the first part of the game until you get to the nicer richer towns

• Jad says:

I don’t think you can blame this on modern game design, JA2 was a pretty brown game to begin with. Sure, there were jungly parts with green in them, but even they were fairly brown jungles. And the towns were all brown.

• Clovis says:

The pics of the link show a few scenes from the original and new version. In the new version they are completely brown. So maybe they’ll reverse it in the updated version. Otherwise, you get the impression that it’s just all brown this time. Anywho, not a big deal.

• pipman300 says:

i dont really see where you’re getting the brown from. it’s more sand-tan coloured then brown in both original and remake screens.

• pipman300 says:

also the trees are greener then the originals trees.

• Alexander Norris says:

@Clovis — JA2 takes place on a tropical island, and the shots are of Drassen airport – in the north-east of the island and in the middle of marshlands. The new shots are quite obviously set somewhere in the Middle-East, so it’s a change of setting, not just “oh look, brown.”

• pipman300 says:

no i think that might be meduna. it was sandy like that in the original too. (also tropical looking trees)

9. sfury says:

You know a X-Com remake would make so much more financial reasoning now that the big budget “spiritual successor” is announced and making noise about the franchise. They could sell it like hot cakes and without much investment in ads, I even already picture special sales in the digital distribution sites – XCOM and the remake of the original in a cheap bundle (hear that Steam? HIRE ME)

Just like LucasArts decided to release the special editions of Monkey Island after Telltale had breathed new life in the franchise and Sam & Max. (or to give an example of something bad happening this way – Bionic Commando, though there it’s the AAA game’s fault for flopping, bet they sold the remake well)

• sfury says:

*reasoning = sense

I’m not sure this even makes …. aaargh forget it

• pipman300 says:

there was an x-com remake that was almost exactly like the original and it sucked because it had all the original flaws too.

maybe when it reaches the point where hard-core pc gamer nerds stop treating streamlining as if it was a curse word than maybe we could have nice things. yeah that’ll never happen. wrangling with bad interfaces and dated gameplay is a badge of honour to them.

• Nick says:

No, it sucked because it had its own flaws. You are hilariously hypocritical in your fanatic hatred of nerds who are fantical about games.

10. mlaskus says:

I rarely play my favorite old games because of their outdated interfaces. I don’t mind the graphics, those games didn’t captivate me with their looks but with brilliant gameplay. Gameplay I often find hard to enjoy if I have to struggle with the antiquated interface.

11. Cinnamon says:

Those screenshots look good to me.

As far as my wishlist goes, yes, why not look at the fan patches. Support for modders would be good. I would like some tools and UI upgrades for auto managing some parts of the world map game as I found that aspect a bit tedious in the late game. They could maybe take the friendliness to new users a bit further by having some options that make some of the enemies a bit less “robocop” lethal while not adding things like regenerating health or death proof player characters. The militia defence tactical missions were also a bit boring with all the waiting for AI characters to do their stuff. Why not have more of the mercenaries start off with proper rifles and kit as well, just a thought. And I want a pet Dinosaur that I can add to my squad. And actual ice cream in the ice cream van.

That makes it sounds like I hate JA2 but if they could just faithfully upgrade that game it would be fine.

12. GoldenNugget says:

While it’s be great if they had 1.13 improvements, it may not happen due to the sheer amount of modeling needed for all 50 pages of guns from 1.13. It wasn’t a problem in JA2 since all weapons are represented by a generic AR, smg, pistol, etc. sprite. One can only hope…

13. jonfitt says:

I remember the first time my friend told me about this game; I thought he’d said Jagger Delights.

I was imagining something like Leisure Suit Larry but with the Rolling Stones.

14. kedaha says:

I didn’t care for 1.13. All the extra guns and changes to ammo/damage/range/whatnot were completely unnecessary for me, the changes to the zones and story didn’t add anything to me, and in the end I felt it actually detracted from the game.

Also didn’t rate the A.I. all that much!

• coldwave says:

Best think about 1.13 is total removal of any kind of balance.

Like in X-com, it’s easy to break a game if you know what to do( or have no clue).

Thats what makes it exciting every time, you never know if a alien equipped with a blaster bomb( elite with a mortar) is around.

• sinister agent says:

I sort of agree. I played around with 1.13 a little, but as I hadn’t finished the original I left it. Creating a remake to make the game more accessible, and then throwing in the three bajillion guns and pieces of clothing and differently sized holsters and such that were in 1.13 seems like one step forward, two back.

Adding support for it would, of course, cater to both.

I really don’t get the people who are saying the vanilla game was merely great. It was bloody excellent, patch or no patch.

• Dominic White says:

The hojillion added guns are optional. The new suppression system is optional. Have you even tried 1.13 in the past few months? It has a huge honking configuration panel that lets you pick specifically what features you want, how hard you want it to be and more.

• kedaha says:

I haven’t played it in 3 years I’d say., it just didn’t gel with me but I played it most of the way through.

15. Jimbo says:

Yeah these ‘Rearmed’ projects kinda make sense, especially when you can ride on the coattails of a AAA game’s marketing budget, which X-Com would be able to do.

Expecting 2K to use the license exclusively for a straight remake of X-Com is still as crazy as it ever was. If it happens (and I really don’t expect it to) it’ll be because the shooter exists to support it. It’s way too small fry for 2K to bother with otherwise.

• sfury says:

The good thing about such projects is they shouldn’t cost that much, and are not such a big gamble as the AAA game they’ve invested crazy money in. So it’s easy to outsource them to a faithful eastern-european studio or something and just overlook the project doesn’t deviate from the core. (not that 2K have much authority over how a X-com remake should look, I don’t know if any of the original developers work for them at all)

16. coldwave says:

Can’t wait to blow stuff up with a dream-team Ira-Shank-Dynamo!

• Ozzie says:

What? Dynamo is actually useful! I’m sure you meant Dmitri.
      “I forget….I forget again”. :D

17. Jorma says:

Why not the first (or better yet deadly games with pretty much best mp ever) since JA2 is still wery much playable today (and the first had more intriquing management part).

18. Hmm says:

Sheesh, I played JA2 over and over without installing 1.13, so stop saying it’s a must. The game is really fun in its original form, and they’re going to change the graphics while keeping the original gameplay intact.
    Be happy they’re doing what they’re doing, other companies aren’t so nice – 2K told X-COM fans to f**k themselves, Bethesda told Fallout fans to f**k themselves.
    Looking forward to the remake, keep the 1.13 improvements for JA3.

• pipman300 says:

Bethesda didn’t tell Fallout fans to fuck themselves. Fallout fans told Bethesda to fuck off and said they won’t ever be satisfied with anything they do.

someone was telling Fallout fans to fuck themself but it was me not Bethesda

• pipman300 says:

basically the entire fallout fandom are a bunch of bratty children and they’re lucky someone decided to pick up their dead franchise and try to keep the setting true to the original because if it was me i would of gave the ip to EA just to fuck with them because i hate them.

• coldwave says:

Man, don’t be so rude, not every Fallout fan is an angry NMA manchild.

• pipman300 says:

man you know i can’t hold back the emprah’s fureh.

• Alexander Norris says:

@Hmm — just because JA2 is perfectly playable without 1.13 doesn’t mean 1.13 doesn’t make the game about five times better.

• coldwave says:

To be honest, I can’t even go back to vanilla JA2 anymore.

New inventory system, tons of guns and other stuff, lots of options to customize a game and even a suppression-fire system.

“DRASSEN EVENT ON”

• Dominic White says:

Yeah, JA2 vanilla is a very good game, but v1.13 just takes it into the realms of mindblowing greatness. The fact that they effectively had to reverse-engineer the whole game over the course of several years to do all this is particularly impressive.

• sfury says:

To be honest I find the “NMA manchilds” to be mostly true Fallout 1&2 fans, also they managed some pretty balanced reviews/writings on FO3 – http://nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=37350 You’ve mistaken them with the 4chan parts of RPGCodex, mate – now that’s bad.

And yeah there are multiple reasons why FO1&2 fans can be super-disappointed with Bethesda’s reimagining, though it’s overall a decent game – if you’ve seen something similar you consider multitudes better it’s hard to like it and that’s that.

And if you’re not ok with that, fuck you too ;)

To be honest I find the “NMA manchilds” to be mostly true Fallout 1&2 fans,

that’s right where i stopped reading.

unless you meant truly unappeasable then yeah i agree. the best way to make a good game is to listen to sites like NMA and rpgcodex and do the exact opposite of what they say/want.

• lePooch says:

That 1.1.3 patch was amazing, IF you had first played through the vanilla game and enjoyed it. Adding the 1.13 patch before that would have made you hate it.

Case in point: Screw. That. Drassen. Attack. Who the hell thought that the best way to liven the game up was to force a playerr to endure a two and a half hour attack by toughened enemies?

If you had played the game before, then the counterattack was manageable. You could either avoid Drassen for a while and head out on your own adventures, or you could ignore Drassen after taking it, lose the counter attack, and then take it back a little later.

I remember watching my younger cousin almost reduced to tears as his team slowly got picked off one by one through attrition, with the rest of them reduced to cowering in closets and church pews and hoping to get a lucky interrupt.

And the attachments, the millions of itty bitty attachments all over the place. I always had giant stashes everywhere so that I could save a particularly choice rifle scope, or a rare grip just in case a team member needing re-equipping.

For people who never have played the game, the 1.13 patch is a horrible introduction. The vanilla game just feels right.(After all the fix up patches, of course)

• Dominic White says:

I’m fairly sure that the documentation explicitly says that the Drassen counterattack is there specifically for veteran players, and reccomends newer or less expeienced ones turn it off. It’s an easy toggle in the config panel.

• Hmm says:

@pip
      Bethesda picked up a dead franchise? Stop being ignorant, please? Troika and Obsidian were VERY interested in picking it up, Bethesda simply had more MONEH which Interplay desperately needed, they didn’t do anyone any favour.

• pipman300 says:

“Bethesda picked up a dead franchise? Stop being ignorant, please? Troika and Obsidian were VERY interested in picking it up”

that didn’t make it any less dead, so what if they had to desire? they didn’t have the means.

“Beth also knew they can re-skin Oblivion and their fanbase who think Oblivion is the bestest RPG ever will eat it up.”

if that was true they would of just released TES5 ijnstead of picking up an obscure franchise infamous for having the worst fans in nerd-dom.

“Fallout 3 is a Fallout-inspired game, not a Fallout game. They couldn’t even treat the universe and canon with respect and had to rape it.”

people keep saying this but don’t explain how it was “raped” (and for gods sake quit saying everything got raped because you didn’t like VIDYA GAEM how would a rape victim feel that making a video game that a loud minority dislikes is exactly the same thing as the abuse and trauma they went through according to nerds). maybe i’m not seeing it being a neuro-typical and all who doesn’t religiously follow the fallout canon so maybe if i was i could see how fallout 3 is comparable to being overpowered and violated in a way that takes years of therapy to undo.

go back to rpgcodex before my contempt seeps through your monitor and chokes you.

• pipman300 says:

if you can’t tell i’m sick and tired of every under-socialized retch on the internet comparing things to being raped. maybe one day you will too!

• Nick says:

Maybe you shouldn’t wish people would commit suicide, might be a bit of a double standard, eh?

• Ozzie says:

Didn’t the original Fallout designer offer his services to Bethesda, and they declined? I remember reading that in an interview, but I can’t offer a citation, sorry.
      If they truly wanted to be faithful, then wouldn’t it have been sensible to get those people on board that understood the spirit of the series the best, like the ones who created it?

• Tetragrammaton says:

Ha splendid, good to see our resident troll is back to work.

19. m_s0 says:

The rights to Jagged Alliance changed hands numerous times in the last 11 years, a sequel to 2 has been announced probably 3 times, not to mention Jagged Alliance 3D which eventually became Hired Guns. Pretty much every studio that had anything to do with JA went under and these crazy germans suddenly announce that they’re gonna pull off more than 1 JA game simultaneously? Normally I’d be bitter about it, but this time I’d really like to hope that they will somehow manage to achieve their goals. I doubt it, though.

20. noobnob says:

Oh, so we get to see Deidranna slapping Elliot in 3D now? Neato.

• Dominic White says:

“Elliot you EEEEDIOT!”

I loved the story/voicework in that game. It really felt like you were putting together your own A-Team. It was cheesy, tongue-in-cheek adventure stuff all the way through.

I really hope the remake doesn’t forget that JA2 may have had a deadly serious heart of tactical graphite, but it was wrapped in a whole lot of comical fun.

• Sassenach says:

‘As Tolstoy wrote: “War, what is it good for?”‘

21. Garrett says:

1.13 was only possible due to access to the source code. Unless these people either include the 1.13 improvements or release the source along with the game, the game will be doomed to the mediocrity that was vanilla when compared with 1.13.

• Ozzie says:

Oh geez, that sounds like it would be horrible!
      I actually enjoy the “mediocrity” of vanilla very much. It already manages to be one of the greatest games ever made.

22. Joko says:

If they improve the AI they’ve already made bigger progress than most of the 1.13 content. The other most important thing in 1.13 is Multiplayers, the majority of everything else is unecessary or just a visual improvement that’s expected to be in this 3d version anyway.

Besides 1.13 started as and imo always will be a mod of the game not a “fan made patch”, and yes despite some good efforts from some members of the team the mod is far too unbalanced.
    And the overwhelming Drassen counter attack was a scratched original idea left in the code by Sir-Tech devs.

• Dominic White says:

Erm.. JA2 1.13 is far BETTER balanced than the original game. There was stuff you could exploit to break the game pretty easily in the vanilla version. Cheesy tactics are much harder to pull off with the fan-patch, as enemies generally behave a lot more intelligently and their equipment scales more on par with yours.

Yes, the Drassen event is mindblowingly hard. It’s also entirely optional and, as mentioned, the documentation mentions this, and points out that it can easily be disabled.

• Nick says:

hardly any of 1.13 is visual improvement. I’d say none of it, in fact.

• Dominic White says:

Well, you can run it in a higher-resolution window, which is kinda a graphical thing, I guess (although more practical than anything), and I think they might have restored an unused animation or two.

But yeah, it’s all gameplay, almost no graphical changes.

• coldwave says:

>hardly any of 1.13 is visual improvement. I’d say none of it, in fact.

Uhm… lightningstorms?

23. Timespike says:

PLEASE let this actually happen this time. I’d buy that thing NOW if I could.

24. Nate says:

I jizzed. Just now. In mah pantz.

25. chunks says:

me too… me too.

26. Gothnak says:

I have played JA2 to death.. Why do i not know about the 1.13 patch?

Time to install it on the new laptop i think and see what the fuss is all about…

Oh, and the greatest merc always was and always wil be Fidel… ‘Leave me alone, i’m busy!’… Best AI moment in a game ever for me when that first happened!

27. sfury says:

Like a boss!

28. navetsea says:

I hope it has GOOD voice actors, and not in the level of jagged edge or silent storm