Lionheart: King’s Crusade Gamescom Trailer

By Kieron Gillen on August 20th, 2010 at 12:30 pm.

There's a menu over there! Get it! Get it!

We’ve had a lot of videos of the next game from King Arthur developers neocore which feature – like above – large groups of men getting handy with one another. What we haven’t had as much of is a look at menus. Because that’s what strategy games are about. Menus. That’s where the strategy happens. Yes, there’s some panoramas of the battles too, but rest assured, if you watch the following video, you’re going to see some hot menu manipulation. More info on the site, obv.

Hot.

Menus.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. MrSafin says:

It kinda reminds me a mix between Medieval Total War and Warhammer – Dark Omen. The latter one was a damn fine game…

2. Navagon says:

King Athur’s Roleplaying Wargame is superb and Neocore have proven to be very responsive to their community. I’ve got high hopes for this one.

3. Okami says:

King Arthur’s real time combats and campaign difficulty were seriously screwed up. The real time battles suffered from Overpowered Archers Syndrome – they even patched in a “nerf archers” options and even then a few units of archers would totally obliterate any opposition before they were even close. And the campaign suffered from obviously cheating AIs (you defeated a huge enemy army only to have it respawn almost instantly while it took you many turns to get your own army up to full strength even after winning a battle).

Which was a real shame, because the game looked very promising. I really hope Neocore have addressed these issues for Lionheart…

• Archonsod says:

I’ve never had an army respawn. In fact the reverse is the problem – you capture a knight, the AI ransoms them from you and fails to recruit an army for them, so you just rinse and repeat the next turn. You can pretty much run your economy by farming the Welsh.

The archers were also pretty much a non-issue when you could field heroes capable of annihilating entire armies single handed too.

• cliffski says:

Bah.
      Speaking as an amaetur archer, all I can say is, bows rock! Don’t nerf us :D

This game looks very nice. I like seeing videos of UI, as so many strategy game makers like to pretend they have just made a 3D engine, when the menu is very very important.
      All we need now is people to get over their fear of UI in startegy screenshots.

4. Xercies says:

My god! Those menus have just made me so hot and sweaty. i think I need a lie down after watching that trailer. come back to me again menus and maybe we can have some fun ;)

5. oceanclub says:

“My god! Those menus have just made me so hot and sweaty.”

I presume that’s why the “not suitable for children” message flashed up in the video. Hot hot menu action; step right in, gentlemen.

P.

6. VonFIDDE says:

Wont even touch this title, first one for me atleast was awful.

7. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Click me, my Lord!

8. westyfield says:

Hot cursor-on-menu action right here, gents.

9. Me says:

Well that music was somewhat annoying.

10. Fumarole says:

Am I the only one that cringes upon seeing a group of soldiers standing around a building whacking it with swords?

I sure hope that unit occlusion can be turned off, as well as the most of the unit flags.

11. Arathain says:

“large groups of men getting handy with one another”

“you’re going to see some hot menu manipulation”

Oo er. Judging by the way the comments seems to be following the theme, perhaps I should not watch this at work. I’ll wait until I’m home. Alone.

12. RakeShark says:

I gifted King Aurthur to a friend of mine, kinda as a gift and kinda as a guinea pig to see if the game was worth it. The report was less than stellar.

I suppose I’m waiting on a Aurthur legend game that combines elements of the ye olde DOS “Spirit/Vengence of Excalibur” games, “Dynasty Warriors” action gameplay, and the “Total War” overworld management (maybe closer to the “Braveheart” game, but you get the idea).

13. Alistair says:

Thought King Arthur was great – GOTY material. Some rough edges around the UI, but a great experience, not least because it was fantasy, but free of orcs, elves etc etc. It had a long slow learning curve which felt just about right for the boy-king’s journey. I’d say its main flaw was it became a bit repetitive towards to the end. Much preferrred it to Empire TW though.

Not enitirely sure about this one yet. It’s a remake of their previous game, Crusaders, which was itself a more primitive King Arthur, wihout the strategic overworld. The other big thing it lacked (as far as I saw on my partial playthrough) was the magical and otherworldly. Those elements really made Arthur, in the spells available to the Round Table, in the Sidhe and ghostly races, in the magical effects of holding certain locations on the battlefields.

14. Strat says:

Ah, Neocore.

The peepz who after 4 patches STILL have their forums full with people clamouring about crashes to desktop at the end of hour long battles without a save function. And then promised a fifth patch that never visibly turned up..yet oddly the saxon payware expansion pack did.

Oh, what fun one must have with their games. And business model.