Buddy System: Portal 2 Co-Op Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on August 21st, 2010 at 10:48 am.

We don’t know too much about the robo-chums who make up the characters for Portal 2′s co-op game, but they’ve now got their own brief clip. No real spoilers here, by the way. Go take a look at GT‘s exclusive trailer.

GameTrailers, it’s been a long time since we said we loved you. Sorry about that.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Dyst says:

I saw this earlier. Looks craaaazy good. I love the robot designs though, they’re pretty incredible. I hope they say witty things.

2. Skusey says:

I don’t like the orange one’s head, it’s all pointy.

3. Sarlix says:

Something about them makes me think ‘bonanza brothers’ ha!

4. Dzamir says:

Then… the blue one can shots 2 blue portals, and the orange one 2 orange portals… cool! :D

5. Trollface says:

Is it just me, or does the modified turret still look kinda excitable and childlike?

6. Tom says:

I hope Kevin Costner voices one of the bots, like he did with GERTY in the film ‘Moon’ by Duncan Jones.

7. RogB says:

that image IS a spoiler for me.. i’ve avoided all trailers and news so far and didnt know anything about these guys.. :(
    yes, i know.. trying to avoid portal news and reading a pc games blog is rather silly.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Did you not know they were going to have a co-op?

The only spoiler is OH HEY DATS WUT DEY LOOK LIKE which I found acceptable considering I carefully choose what spoilers I intake. They haven’t really released anything that drastic.

8. Baka says:

Fudge, I wanted to get into Portal 2 absolutely unprepared and vowed to ignore every gameplay trailer.
    And now there’s a big fat “These are the new characters” on my favorite frontpage. sadface.
    Guess there wasn’t really a way around something Valve wanted to make so obvious. Still.

9. kenoxite says:

Draw mustaches on those robot faces! QUICKLY!

10. Guildenstern says:

Somehow they look like main characters from a silly buddy cop movie.

11. sleepygamer says:

I watched that, like, 5 times. And then a bunch more times just for the music.

12. GHudston says:

I could not be more excited for this. Though they remind me of the M&M’s mascots…

13. LashLightning says:

I think it’s actually a blue and a purple portal.

14. unholy waffle says:

I knew they’d make you use two separate for two halves of one portal in portal multiplayer…Here come the griefers.

• OptionalJoystick says:

@unholy waffle
      Two separate what? AHPDs? But only the little guy shoots any portals. There’d be four portals in total if the Bert shot his.
      Of course, you’re still going to need actual teamwork, so griefers will be an issue anyway.

• unholy waffle says:

No, One shoots the orange, one shoots the blue.

• unholy waffle says:

Actually, maybe I’m wrong about that. The fat one fired twice in that video. They both have portal guns, however. My guess is that they have two separate functioning portal guns if they didn’t split up one gun.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Don’t be silly. He’s not fat, he’s the Mario design. The other one is Luigi.

15. Spence says:

I was about to rage there. Good thing you corrected yourself.

16. Inigo says:

Could be set before the events of Portal 1 – GLaDOS has her old voice.

17. Dozer says:

faintly disturbed by the idea of robots needing to blink and communicate by nudging one another with their elbows. I really don’t get anthropomorphic robots.

18. Stense says:

Ahhh, they’re so sweet.

19. ilpalazzo says:

m&ms

20. Merzbau says:

DAMMIT YOU PEOPLE HAVE RUINED PORTAL 2 FOR ME, NOW I KNOW THERE WILL BE MAGIC HOLES IN IT

THANKS A LOT

• Frank says:

I HEARD THERE WILL BE A COMPUTER AND A JOKE IN IT TOO.

GOD DAMN I DON’T EVEN KNOW WHY I BOTHER ANY MORE. EVERYTHING GETS SPOILED THESE DAYS.

21. artrex says:

Just think of them as mechanical receptacles for a pair of transplanted human consciousnesses. You know… “bring your whole-body-paralyzed loved one to work day is the perfect time to get her the body of a modified turret!”
    That makes far more sense, is far more likely, and above all, is MUCH less disturbing, right? Right?

Less sarcastically, @Dominic, aren’t animals actually closer to anthropomorphism?

22. Matt says:

The blue one is plain and the yellow one is peanut, right? :D

Comment on this story