Barbie Queue: Liferaft: Zero

By Quintin Smith on August 23rd, 2010 at 1:25 pm.

It's a bit like Bionic Commando, only biological. So, messier.

The torrent of excellent browser games never stops! Not even for GamesCom. Indie Games posted about Liferaft: Zero last week, and it’s tricky bit of platforming with an excellent, Portal-like atmosphere. You play an endless series of cloned, acrobatic girls, and do your best to steer them towards candy and away from certain death. Your best won’t be good enough, but it’s more messed up enough to justify a play. Video after the jump.

If I’m honest, it’s ludicrously fiddly. Fiddly like performing open heart surgery, in the dark. On a cat. While wearing oven gloves. It could be that I suck, of course, but I doubt it. There’s a great deal of pixel-perfect jumping required, and the grappling hook’s mightily counterintuitive.

Luckily, it’s also pacy enough that it lures you into attempting levels a dozen times in a row, which is usually enough to complete them. Overall the experience is about as frustrating as a platformer can be while remaining enjoyable, but don’t take my word for it. See for yourself.

, , , .

1. Nesetalis says:

woah.. :O that looks exceptionally fun and difficult.

Lambchops says:

Too finicky for my liking.

3. Miked says:

The deaths are horrific, my poor clones!

4. Sam Crisp says:

Mastering the grapple physics is great fun.

5. Baboonanza says:

Now my fingers hurt :(

6. BigglesB says:

That was seriously hard. Still never quite perfected the grapple launch technique. Brutal.

7. Player1 says:

This is sooo n or n+… just harder, if possible.

8. JackShandy says:

This is the most horrified I’ve ever been about dying.

My poor clones! Sent to their deaths again and again!

9. Ian says:

I gave up on the level where there were several sets of slide-then-wall-jumps.

• Volpicks says:

What a coincidence. The game was challenging in a fun way before that, but that level was ridiculous.

• Heliocentric says:

The fact that I was playing it on a keyboard and having to manage the momentum of the wall jumps (rather than them just defaulting to fastest).

In short, I want those 10 minutes back.

10. Hmm-Hmm. says:

It may be me, it may be the controls, but it didn’t take long for me to put this one aside. But then, there’s always a fine line between too easy and too difficult with such platformers.

• m_s0 says:

Same for me, though I know it’s because of grapple controls. Plus, I’m not destroying my keyboard over a flash game :P

11. CMaster says:

Got stuck on level 22. Know what do do, even pulled it off once, but then fowled up the second or third wall jump. Bored and kinda horrified by all the blood now.

• radomaj says:

Level 22 is where I first swore of candy, but I soldier on with just getting to the bell. Level 24 now.

12. Saucy says:

Generic portal-rip off with awkward controls. Gimmick: Grappling hooks.

Indie gaming is the bastion of originality.

13. Skinlo says:

On 26 atm, getting tough.

14. GamerV says:

Finished with clone #92, and then the game told me it was disappointed with me. Well fuck you too.

15. radomaj says:

Finally did it. 101 clones, candy up to 22, going to try get some of the higher-level candy now.

16. Hyudra says:

Yeah, is it even possible to get level 22 candy?

17. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Too frustrating for me…I don’t like frustrating games….NEXT!

18. Brulleks says:

Level 20 was the one that reminded me there are far better ways I could be spending my time that didn’t make me want to punch something.

Fun for the first few levels though.

19. Nick says:

My keyboard won’t respond to up and left at the same time making it impossible for me to finish.

• Nick says:

Nevermind, just used the num-pad instead.
      Finished all chambers and got all candy.
      If you thought it was too hard, all I can say is, “Lol”

20. Mr.D says:

Couldnt get candy on lvl 27, so I decided to check bonus… Now THAT looks more like N.

21. red bull energy hats says:

I like the side of the article, and very like your blog, to write well and hope to continue your efforts, we can see more of your articles. new era hats on sale Recommend you to take a look at it, is now being discounted, Monster Energy Hats Collection in hot! Fashionable dc shoes hats Keeps with you at any time. Anybody can tell me where i can buy the best and the cheapest shoes ,I have to tell him that is baseball hats wholesale,it will be your right choice.

22. New Era Caps says:

That is an awfully astounding column you’ve posted.Thanks a lot for that a fantastically amazing post!

23. wholesaler says:

but I want to tell you there is a execting website dollar stores ,everything just be sold a dollar.yes ,it is true,my friend

24. dc shoes hats says:

it is interesting and new era hats informative article. This has been very helpful understanding a lot baseball hats. I’m monster energy hats sure a lot of other people will agree with me.

25. ChristianAudigier says:

this is a good write-up. I’m going to mail this to my friends. I come here while searching on aol I’m sure i’ll come back. thanks for sharing.

26. besthats says:

On the internet there are many online stores that offer Red Bull Hats, but it is the best. In serving customers, it always put the best service and they only sell the with the best quality. You will be pampered with a wide range of choices, many prestius new era hats offered by mvphats.com, such as red bull new era hats, new era 59fifty hats,caps new era,red bull energy hats,New Era Hats Wholesale, Monster Energy Hats,dc shoes hats,and many more.

27. lilfecolorslt says:

You can find all of your favorite teams represented in the Red Bull Caps product line. Search through the massive collection of college football, NHL, MLB, and NBA Red Bull Hats hats to discover your favorite teams. Every hat is custom-designed for your team of choice, including the New Era flag on one side, your team logo on the front, and the supporting league on the back. Ladies, these hats aren’t just for the guys – no matter who you root for, Wholesale New Era Hats has a cap that will fit you just right.

28. Cleaning London says:

What a wonderful site you got here! it is both inspiring and amusing, it can really make you think about a lots of stuff. It made me so I guess Cleaning London the other also feel the same. Thank you for this wonderful and pleasant post you got here.