Watch This Space: Black Prophecy Footage

By Jim Rossignol on August 23rd, 2010 at 5:44 pm.

Troubled action space-MMO Black Prophecy seems to have had a fairly good showing at GamesCom 2010, and both trailer and off-screen wobblecam footage of the demo (via MMOReviews) suggest that it is looking like one of the most promising free-to-play games in Gamigo’s rapidly-swelling portfolio. The “real” flight model combined with persistent world stuff might just make this a viable alternative for all those folks who wanted to like Eve but couldn’t swallow the third-person model. There are beta sign-ups going on over at the game’s main site, and the beta apparently starts soon.

No firm release date yet either, but it’s out later this year.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Garg says:

I approve the use of epic music on the inventory shots.

• BAReFOOt says:

In case you didn’t know: That’s called “the EvE way” of doing trailers. Look at their trailers. They all have epic music. Especially the one with the JunkieXL soundtrack.

2. Ramong says:

Me too, thought to myself that this music makes the trailer worth seeing :p

On another note, I have had this game in the scope in quite some time :D

3. bananaphone says:

I like how the turret in the second vid sounds like a hyperactive dot matrix printer. It’ll make secretaries who work in doctor’s surgeries feel right at home.

4. CMaster says:

How so troubled?
    Also, (closed) beta has already started. Fairly strict NDA though (players can’t say if they are in it)

• M says:

Say no more.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Reakktor nearly went bust and had to be bought out by Gamigo to finish the game.

• CMaster says:

Ah forgot that, so long ago.
      Also, Reakktor would have you believe that their finances were always nice and rosy (at least reasonably so) – it was just the parent company that went under. I’m also don’t think that Gamigo own Reakktor – they’re publishing BP, true. But KK’s website says “Copyright Reakktor Media GmbH, respectively AAA Capital Game Production and Sales GmbH & Co. Funds No. 2 KG ” – AAA were also one of the big inital funders of BP and some other 10T games.

5. Joinn says:

So, Eve meets Wing Commander?

• somnolentsurfer says:

That sounds like the game I wanted Eve to be.

• Meat Circus says:

Also this.

If this game does an APB Ima RAWR at the Universe for mocking me so.

• CMaster says:

What we know suggests something more like Global Agenda or even Planetside I guess. Lots of instancing (although there are areas which aren’t instanced). Clan vs Clan territory to fight over. No freighter work and minimal downtime. Though there will be a crafting system apparently.

It will however be free to see if you like it.

6. Nova says:

Wasn’t »Building Better Worlds« the Liandri Corp. slogan?

7. Zyrxil says:

These videos aren’t exactly good evidence that Reakktor didn’t kidnap EVE’s artists and interface designers.

Malcolm says:

Am I the only person who doesn’t give a toss about character creators? These days it seems that if you don’t have 347 feature sliders and colour pickers you might as well not bother. I think Transport Tycoon (or Lego) have it about right – comedy facial hair combinations FTW.

9. Tetragrammaton says:

Wow, this is actually pretty damn impressive.

10. dethgar says:

I hope this isn’t a bust. MMO’s since WoW have mostly been bust though.

RIP Tabula Rasa

11. Czechton says:

Holy Shit!
    Free to play Freelancer MMO? With fucking beautiful visuals?
    They better not get me all excited like APB did and then crush my hopes/dreams.
    Although the only place I can see them fuck up at this stage is the microtransactions – hopefully they won’t ruin the game with them.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

12. darthmajor says:

This looks like World of Tanks IN SPACE…could be fun for the occasional pewpew.
    Other than being about spaceships (and these aren’t even serious business), can’t compare it to EVE. So don’t! Or else.

P.S. Seems i fail at being human, captcha made me suffer :(

13. Mechazawa says:

I wish Reakktor suddenly found tons of money and decent programmers/artists/designers to work on a real Neocron 2.

That game was flawed as hell, but i still miss it :/

• BAReFOOt says:

Seconded. Neocron has by far the most interesting vibe. It just felt so much like a real post-apocalyptic city.

14. BAReFOOt says:

Someone should *seriously* tell them, to fix their damn gamma settings! The thing looks black on black on black, on a properly calibrated screen. Or at least get some non-el-cheapo TFTs, that don’t suffer from extreme white-out. I can’t see shit, and I am the only one who can prove it’s not his own system but the video.

15. jon_hill987 says:

I like the idea of EVE but can’t swallow the third person model. This and Jumpgate have got my interest.

16. Fuddled says:

Hi,

I was just wondering if you guys could eventually do a free-to-play roundup, as it seems the last 12 months or so there has been a flood.

Obviously, just the ones that don’t reek of fail and secret “why not pay instead and no longer get only 0.5% of the experience subscribers do!” incentives out the bum.

I for one would cheer such an article. Not once, not twice, but twice and then once! Overall more than two times, but less than four!

Indeed.

17. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I wonder how this compares to Vendetta Online.

18. adam says:

I think “troubled” should have been used past tense, you’re sending the wrong message about a fantastic game that’s right on track now.

19. Dhatz says:

could it beat eve and mass effect? think so.

20. Pianosaurus says:

Is first person view optional in this, then? I saw the inside of a cockpit in one shot in the first video, but lots of third person shots.

21. BAReFOOt says:

Well… do you habe a properly calibrated display and graphics system? Very likely no. So you suffer from the same problem.