Lie Party: R.U.S.E. PC Demo Released

By Quintin Smith on August 25th, 2010 at 6:33 pm.

I haven't forgiven them for those insufferable teaser trailers they first released for R.U.S.E., with those two blowjobs in £2000 suits sneering their way through the game on a multitouch table.

Lies, damned lies, and ballistics. That’s what’s in store for anybody who chooses to download the R.U.S.E. demo, which is available right now on Steam. Worth mentioning once again that R.U.S.E. isn’t going to feature Ubisoft’s DRM of legend, so it looks like this whole mess has worked itself out peacefully.

A video of R.U.S.E. isn’t to be found after the jump.

Aha! I rused you! Ha. It’s alright, this rusing business. This video’s part 1 of the walkthrough they showed at E3, earlier this year.

, , .

Richard Beer says:

Forget R.U.S.E., that is a QUALITY first sentence pun thing, even by RPS standards!

2. robrob says:

Will that Chahi thing have silly DRM? It looks lovely.

3. SirKicksalot says:

I played the shit out of this game during the betas and free weekends and crave for more.

• Lack_26 says:

Same here, I really enjoyed the game (especially since it’s an online RTS I’m actually good at, probably the only one out there). I was crushed when I found out it would be carrying UbiDRM; I’m certainly going to buy it now they’ve dropped it.

4. TCM says:

The fact this game no longer has UbiDRM has made it a Day 1, almost certainly, unless they made it suck since I played the super awesome beta.

5. Alexander Norris says:

The only good thing I have to say about RUSE is that the menus were very pretty during the beta.

6. Torgen says:

Yup, enjoyed the beta as well. No UbiDRM makes this a sale for me too.

7. pkt-zer0 says:

This is NOTHING compared to StarCraft 2!

(…so, is there any reason I should check it out regardless?)

• JohnnyMaverik says:

You might like it? IDK… if you need reasons to check out a free demo you’e approaching this all wrong…

• Jim Rossignol says:

It’s good. Really unusual pace and feel to it (like a real-time boardgame) and the RUSE concept is certainly well executed.

• Dominic White says:

What Jim said, basically. It’s a really clever and original RTS, and people seem to hate it because it’s clever and original. I guess this is why Starcraft 2 is considered king of the genre.

• Starky says:

Nah Starcraft 2 is considered King because it really is the epitome of the base building C&C Westwood style RTS.
      And to many people that is the royal standard of RTS – the whole new twists, modern slant (no base, requisition points, cover systems so on) don’t sit well with them.

I’m not one of them, but Starcraft 2 does beat out every other RTS in that style by a large margin – a damn sight better than any of the more recent C&C games.
      That and it’s single player smokes every other RTS I’ve ever played in mission design, originality (in mission design) and basically every other aspect but storytelling. The only RTS that may beat it in in-mission gameplay is Homeworld, but that didn’t have near the variation in mission goals.

Most RTs games manage 3-4 original and unique missions, while the rest are just variations on standard skirmish gameplay, Starcraft manages to have that uniqueness in almost every single one.

8. Radiant says:

Wait did those tanks just napalm an entire town?
    I’m not playing that game.

• gabanski83 says:

Yeah, I was just about to post something similar; it looks ridiculous.

• Radiant says:

I’d say horrific more then ridiculous no?

Arathain says:

It’s a function of the way the strategic zoom works. When you’re zoomed all the way out your units are counters, with a model of the unit type placed on top. As you zoom in closer the size of the model remains fairly constant in your view, and as you zoom all the way in individual units seperate off from the stack, and everything ends up at a realistic scale. It works very well in practice- your battlefield view gives you the information you need at any given level of zoom, but it does lead to some odd screens, particularly around towns.

9. Junior says:

I was really looking forward to ruse, it sounded awesome.

Then when I got to play it in the beta I found out that 90% of the ruses either hide something that’s there or make something appear there that’s not.

After a couple of matches with my intended sparring partner we were bored, other than concealing your own troops and pretending you’ve got others elsewhere there’s very little trickery in the game at all.

• Boldoran says:

Well what else would you have liked for the ruses to do? (This is not meant to be inflammatory, I really want to know). I agree that there could be more variation in them but I have a hard time coming up with interesting ones. Still the system is pretty fresh and original. I liked the open Beta in any case.

10. suibhne says:

Given that Ubi already assured us they’re not abandoning their dracoDRM, but are simply using Steamworks for this title because it makes sense, I’m missing the story about how “this whole mess has worked itself out peacefully.” Sure, this might be a trial balloon, but it sure seems like the story hasn’t been written yet.

11. Tei says:

Is like a videogame from the future. is a million times better than Starcraft2, anyway probably will sell a fraction of it. This world is crazy.

12. Kong says:

Looks very interesting, until the Flamethrowers get into action. What is it? WWII with SciFi Weaponry?

13. Zyrxil says:

World War 2 comes to Arizona! Wait…what? Anyway, the video looks nice, and I especially like the zoom out effect, where units stay the same size and the map becomes a battle planning table.

14. Morte says:

Tried the beta on a whim, and it’s bladdy ace. Played (and still playing) sc2 to death, and this will sit nicely along side for competitive online rts action, easily.

15. SirKicksalot says:

This game looks stunning and runs like a dream: Q6600 at stock speed, 512Mb 9800 GT and 4 Gb RAM, all max, played it at 1920 x 1080 and got minor slowdowns only while zooming around.
    I found the demo overwhelming at first. I mean, the first ten minutes – the tutorial – are extremely simple to play but the most fucking amazing battle I’ve ever seen takes place around you.
    And at the end you get nukes!

• Ignorant Texan says:

You get nukes?!? Nice to see they’re going for historical accuracy, then. :P

• Dozer says:

Yep. Remember the reason the Allies spent such a huge amount of money and resources and money on the Manhattan project was to take Germany out of the war before she could build her own nukes. As it happens, Germany didn’t have anywhere near enough resources to mess around with nuclear physics, at least not seriously, as the German economy was beyond breaking point just making aeroplanes, rifles, ammunition, tanks, machine tools, factories, railway locomotives, and bizarre pre-fab modular submarines that didn’t work.

• DiamondDog says:

Don’t forget all the resources they spent trying to obtain the Ark of the Covenant, the Holy Grail, summoning a baby demon to Earth and buggering about with magic in some stupid castle.

• Redem says:

The nuclear artillery kinda spoils it, though. You can kill anything with a shot from extremely long range… all pretence of strategy goes out the window at that point.

stahlwerk says:

@DiamondDog oh you don’t know the half of it!

16. TotalBiscuit says:

RUSE is pretty awesome honestly, the fact that they removed the DRM THIS ONCE means it’s a purchase and I hope that everyone else will vote with their wallet as well. But they won’t.

• pkt-zer0 says:

It’s entirely possible that’s the reason they ditched the UbiDRM in the first place. The game was never going to sell particularly well, so now they’re free to point to the lacking DRM as the reason for that. Also see: the recent DRM-free Prince of Persia experiment.

17. Droniac says:

Ooooh it’s a singleplayer demo! Downloading on Steam since that should be the proper demo experience now that it’ll be a steamworks game, right?

The multiplayer beta didn’t manage to impress, but maybe this will now that they’ve had some time to polish it.

18. cliffski says:

“This game is currently unavailable, please try again later”

That looks and sounds and smells like DRM surely?
    What is wrong with giving me an exe to download, on to my own computer, which I can then run, from my own computer/
    Bah

• cliffski says:

and now the whole demo has deleted itself. what a wate of time.
      I’ll just play Call of Duty instead.
      Nice try ubisoft, but you blew it.

19. UncleLou says:

Demo is nice, a lot going on, but it’s really not that different from other RTS games. It might look a little different at first, but you’re doing exactly the same things, just on a (visually, not strategically) bigger scale. Might be different in later missions or in multiplayer, mind.

stahlwerk says:

I was overrun at the point in the demo when you are allowed to build tanks. And that was on the easiest setting.

I’m bad at video games… :-(

21. pupsikaso says:

Just a heads up for any potential buyers, this game is more of a hands-off high command kind of game rather than RTS of the more traditional sense. Don’t expect to be able to manually face tanks, or anything like that. Also, apparently four Shermans shooting a Tiger in the face will kill it. That should be a good indication for you.

• pupsikaso says:

Oh yeah, and tanks magically heal up when not being shot at, too.

• bjbrains says:

Try that in multiplayer pupsi. The AI in the demo is intentionally easy (even on the harder difficulties). A halfway-decent pilot with the tiger would be able to spank 3-4 shermans. The game is actually far more realistic than any other “WW2 RTS” I’ve ever played in terms of combat strategy/unit usage.
      The auto-repair isn’t that fast, and is mainly a gameplay measure to stop the “repair micro” in many other RTS games.

As to the perspective: Remember that the game’s view shows oversized version of the units on higher zooms to make control easier. If you want proper scale, you have to zoom in all the way. It works really, really well in practice. Makes control a hell of a lot easier than past games of its scale.

22. klumhru says:

Shame this is the best they can do to counter SC2′s endless dreary similitude. The games highpoint was it’s initial teaser. Downhill from there.