Stylish Gel: Portal 2 Footage

By John Walker on August 25th, 2010 at 11:50 pm.

Turret cum.

Portal 2, Portal 2, Portal 2. Say it enough times and it sounds a bit like “portaloo”. But they say “Porta-Potty” in America, so perhaps that’s why Valve didn’t realise this. It’s the Left 4 Dead 2 V-sign all over again. But that massive controversy aside, there’s even more footage of the game available, and it’s not some dodgy cam recorded by a ne’er-do-well. Oh, and there’s also the video featuring Mr Stephen Merchant recording his lines for the game.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Seamus says:

This looks like so much fun!

2. pakoito says:

Old as the hills trailers, but still fun.

3. Kadayi says:

Crazy…..but need EP3……

4. stahlwerk says:

I wonder if the bot crashing through the window is a scripted event.

• Beanbee says:

Shouldn’t be, but since their phsyics engine is predictable enough they could easily position the bot just so if it’s goo’d from above it’ll fly at that screen.

5. Aninhumer says:

Isn’t a potty already portable?
    I thought that was the point….

6. Longrat says:

As one review said for portal 1:
    Brain melting offbeat genius

Also, the bouncing sentries made me smile. Such cute destructive things!

7. pakoito says:

You’re missing two more vids, the “flow gravity” and the “red gel” ones.

8. Barton says:

Step 1: Watch which DigiPen team Valve hires and what game they made as their year end project.
    Step 2: Predict next Valve game.
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: PROFIT.

• The Dark One says:

Don’t forget small independent guys like Team Fortress Software and Turtle Rock.

I’d say the best thing about these ‘direct-feed’ videos is the sound quality. All the little clicks, hums whirs and whooshes add up when they’re used properly.

• WiPa says:

Aye, as soon as i saw the gel a few weeks ago i thought TAG: The Power of Paint.

• Arvind says:

Looks quite similar to Tag : TPOP. That’s the acronym we all should be using.

• Dinger says:

The reference intended is funded by speculation born of doing a “where are they now?” study of the Tag team. Personally, I thought they were working on some sort of Cyndi Lauper tribute album.

9. DMcCool says:

Stephen Merchant did a rather better job, didn’t he? As charming as the character is, the placeholders made me cringe. Yes, it is an english accent, no, its wasn’t well acted. Was rather afraid Valve would cave in and leave thing as they are. This is more like it. You wonder how often Das Ameicans are subjected to regional accents, in this case Bristolian, that aren’t strictly from the south east. I suppose he sounds like a hobbit to most.

10. Valient says:

Do you think a Level Editor for this game on release would be incredibly awesome? Some of the valve game community do crazy stuff with TF2 and could make insane stuff for portal 2

11. Hodge says:

That alt text for the image is just *wrong*.

12. Jones says:

I wonder if they’re going to do anything to the morality(?) core’s voice before release. It seems weird that glados would have such a robotic sounding voice when the morality core has such a human sounding voice.

13. Jones says:

I wonder if they are going to do anything with the morality(?) core’s voice before release. It seems odd that Glados would have such a robotic voice while the morality core has such a human sounding voice.

14. David says:

My mind will break, and I will love every second of it

15. MartinNr5 says:

I didn’t see Merchant record anything for anything. Wrong trailer?

16. TonyB says:

Am I the only one who felt Merchant sounded completely out of place? A couple of decent lines in there, but without any kind of processing on the voice it just left me with the inescapable feeling Stephen Merchant was following you through the game, not some slightly neurotic robot partner.

And then GLaDOS started talking and everything was all right again.

• Jaffo says:

Ditto, his voiceover ruined the immersion for me (and I like Stephen Merchant in most things, even those Barclaycard ads!)

• Ovno says:

Couldn’t agree more wish they’d just got an unknown or even left the placeholder in rather than the comedian of the minute.

Hope they didn’t pay him much to ruin their game…

• MrThingy says:

I love Steve Merchant (in a blokey bear-hug and not man-love way).

However, I’m not keen on his voiceovers for this either. They don’t seem to fit properly? (i.e., I don’t associate the voiceover with the in-game character)

• Cynic says:

Completely agree, his voice is out of place and his ‘funny’ interjections during GLaD’s wake-up ruin the mood.

• terry says:

Yes, I found it jarring too and I think its because the personality spheres in the original were still identifiably robotic-sounding, whereas Merchant is speaking the lines as if he is human (the timing, varied intonations). What I enjoyed about GlaDOS was it was like hearing a text to speech app get surly and abusive.

• Tom Camfield says:

Yar, makes you feel like Ricky Gervais will do his dance during the end credits, or Barry from Eastenders will burst in to song.

• vader says:

I completely agree with this. It sound very out of place. It doesn’t fit with the rest of the game at all.

17. Alex Bakke says:

Wow, my first alt-text, and it’s equally disgusting and hilarious. Can I expect this from every image?

18. Ian says:

I’m being really disciplined with Portal 2, I’m not watching any of the videos. I’m going to buy it anyway and I’m trying to keep everything as much a surprise as possible.

19. Bungle says:

Are these X360 videos? I noticed some cleverly disguised framerate lag in the first two videos. Good camera operator did a decent job of hiding it.

20. Decimae says:

Oh lovely, reply system didn’t work again.

21. el Chi says:

In fairness, the rest of the world won’t have a blinking clue who this voice is. For most of Portal 2′s audience, Merchant IS an unknown.
    Whilst my familiarity with that voice scuppers things slightly, it doesn’t put me off like the placeholder did. That sounded like the work experience boy phoning in his party piece.
    Also, adding processing would make the personality spheres more akin to Glados and the turrets and presumably Valve want them obviously separate. Friends and foes, like.

In other news: boy howdy, Source is looking good for her age, isn’t she?

• Polysynchronicity says:

USA poster here. I have no idea who the man is but I definitely preferred the old placeholder voice. If nothing else they should set him up in the recording studio and then include him as an option in the audio settings, IMO.

• torchedEARTH says:

He just appears to be repeating lines from the Office interspersed with Portal 2 related detail.

• Tom Camfield says:

Both audio tracks seem lame to me, I think it’s because the audio doesn’t seem to rise and fade with distance, and sounds incredibly clear (at the beginning at least, I stopped quick). I think a tiny bit of audio distortion would also help. I guess it’s all early days though, and a lot of this will be worked on.

The other lame element, however, is the The Office (UK) humour, which we’ve heard imitated for the last decade, and after The Office, Extras and all the Gervais guest appearances and podcasts gets a little wearing (IMO). Glados was something new and different, hiring Stephen Merchant, it’s something new for Americans (maybe) but old hat for most Brits.

But this is comments about a minutes worth of footage.

• RakeShark says:

I have to agree as a USA audience member, I currently prefer the placeholder’s voice as opposed to this new one. It’s not because of the accent, but the delivery and tone. The placeholder seemed to compliment the Turrets and GLaDoS, where as Mr. Merchant’s seems to stand far apart from them. If anything, the placeholder sounded like he was having more fun, which in turn encourages me to have more fun.

22. itsallcrap says:

How can this possibly still be six months away?!

And on the subject of impatience – seriously, HL2:Ep2 was nearly three years ago now…

23. Dani McJami says:

One cannot simply walk into Birmingham…

24. bobince says:

I’m a bit worried about that. Tag was great fun, but I would have liked to see its ideas stand on their own rather than being dragged into Portal.

I thought there was much more that could be done extending the possibilities of portals, rather than nicking Tag’s ideas, and adding some fairly generic platformer elements like bouncy floors and forcefields on top. The videos that have been posted so far seem to offer relatively little creative portalling, and more stepping through The Way To Do It for each new element. That may be due to the tutorial nature of the levels involved; I hope there is more to it. However, the elegant simplicity of Portal looks to be a bit buried IMO.

25. Jeff says:

“Developers, Developers, Developers, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, *pant* *pant* *wheeze* *pant*’. Go Balmer!

26. bill says:

this looks lovely – but my laptop’s never gonna run it with all that physics, go, dynamic lighting and turrets whizzing about! sigh.

27. LordCiego says:

Turret Cum? Turret Cum. Stay Classy as always RPS.

28. The Dark One says:

I just remembered the other thing I liked about this. Even the Portal gun isn’t all perfectly smooth and flawless anymore.

29. G says:

Yes me too, Steve Merchant voice is an immersion breaker for me. The gel looks a little tired in the engine but the puzzles and detail of the background world collapsing and moving walls is great.

30. Thiefsie says:

yes they need to process the ball’s voice… glaDOS is as awesome as ever!

31. karry says:

Sooo…judging by the trailer, the game will primarily take place in permanent darkness, and you will rarely, if ever, actually use the portal gun ?

Comment on this story