Up The Morning: Up Down Ready

By Kieron Gillen on August 25th, 2010 at 9:04 am.

I once sold comics by doing a MC Hammer crab dance.

How do I like to start the day? With a spectacular orgy with a lustful Martian pantheon. However, I’m prepared to settle with a quick flashgame. Today’s is Up Down Ready from the charmingly named Sword Lady & The Viking which just won Best Design In A Game at the recent Freeplay indie festival in Melbourne. Well done them. Basically, it’s a string of mini-games all which you control with the up and down arrows. I’m not too fond with the really boring one which comes first every time. But then again, it features a level based on MC Hammer’s U Can’t Touch This video and has another one where – I believe – it plays a chipcore version of Haddaway’s “What Is Love?” (which always reminds me of the opening gag in Consolevania’s Independent Day special). So it’s hard to be churlish. If your lustful Martian pantheon have left you hanging again, you can play it here. If they haven’t, go orgy!

, , , , .

1. JackShandy says:

Oh fuck yeah! This came from my University!

I’m still trying to track down the man responsible and shake him by the hand.

2. Miles of the Machination says:

And I totally played that when I stormed Jack’s university for a day. CAN I HEAR INDIE CRED.

3. Brumisator says:

Bwahaha, the amazing horse song from weebls!

4. CMaster says:

Damn that’s hard – and also sometimes misleading – I thought the “hammer time” segment required you to dodge the background until the first hammer smashed me.
    Also, the sound for the “Horse” is Weebl and Bob.

Toeofdoom says:

I met the creators at Freeplay and had to look the game up afterwards, but it was quite awesome. The strangest thing is it feels like it’s going to end after you get through each minigame in a single play.

6. Gabe McGrath says:

Kieron,

You’ll love this. Best 5m 9sec you’ll spend today*^’.

*If you love Haddaway
    ^And mad improvisation on a pianica
    ‘by a man in a chicken suit.

Lambchops says:

Neat wee game. I pretty much always end up dying on the greed minigame, can’t quite judge it right.

8. fuggles says:

I am surprised it won a best design anything as it was like a worse version of the 4 second games. In those it told you what to do, in this I find I trial and error through them. Case in point, MC Hammer, I too tried dodging the little hammers before something large pounded me.

Greed again, straight into the floor and died. No second chance as my last life, and I don’t really care as losing a guaranteed life on things is not good – Idea good, execution less so.

9. nemryn says:

What is love? A miserable little pile of secrets!

10. midi says:

Any day a random Consolevania mention arises is always a good day.