YouTuba: Red Orchestra 2 Dev Walkthrough

By Quintin Smith on August 25th, 2010 at 11:24 am.

'Tag! You're it! Hans? Hans, you're it. Hans. HANS.'

The 25 minute Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad GamesCom presentation is now available for your viewing pleasure, and I’ve embedded it in the snug foxhole after the jump. It covers everything except vehicle combat, which I can exclusively reveal that Tripwire may or may not be talking about very soon indeed.

Points of interest include the new cover system and a load of small tweaks, which are covered in the first video, and then the second video shows the new Countdown gametype, new scope tech, and the selection of new powers available to Commanders. Thanks to our comrades at Gamers.fr for getting these online.

Red Orchestra 2 : Presentation de Gamplay part 1 (Cam)

Red Orchestra 2 : Presentation de Gamplay part 2 (Cam)

__________________

« | »

1. Dzamir says:

Wow…. I wasn’t interested in this game before watching the video, but now I think I will buy it :D

2. Bald Space Marine says:

Awesome game. I’m going to buy it as soon as possible.

I’m sick of all those arcade shooters

3. Spong says:

I’m not someone who is particularly anti cover systems, I do think they have their place, but RO was so well balanced with its mechanics (aside from artillery spam). I wonder if having a cover system in place will drastically change the dynamic of the game. Possibly for the better of course but I am cautious of it anyway in case it totally screws things up.

4. Bobsy says:

I’ve always felt that Red Orchestra is not living up to its title. A tense adventure-RPG where you’re the conductor of the Moscow Symphonia at the height of the Cold War would be a much better game.

5. Novotny says:

It looks even better than I had been hoping for. I could never understand why the original RO wasn’t huge.

6. Isometric says:

Being a major fan of the original I can’t help but be super excited for this. It looks like they’re putting a lot of hard work into making it special.

7. Wilson says:

This should be very cool, but I hope they have better AI for the bots. I know multiplayer is where it’s at, but sometimes I like a bit of offline or LAN with only a couple of people.

8. sneetch says:

Didn’t know you could rent PC games. I loved Red Orchestra, a really brutal game, really looking forward to this one.

9. Alexander Norris says:

Oh no. I appear to be getting excited about RO2.

It’s the little things, really – they’re using the BF squad system (yay!) tweaked so it doesn’t spawn you in front of enemies (double yay!), and apparently they have the Call of Juarez 2 aim-from-cover system (something which a shitload more FPSes should have) along with blindfiring (triple yay!).

10. alinkdeejay says:

One of the things I noticed is how the trees look really bad. The actual model itself is probably perfectly fine, but it moves and sways too much the branches move exactly the same way as the leaves, giving it almost the impression it’s a 2D sprite that tracks the camera of the player, like in duke nukem 3d and doom.

I’m sure it will be fixed, or at least Im hope it will.

• Wilson says:

@alinkdeejay – Hehe, I noticed that too, as did the guy watching with me. I’d expect it to be fixed, but it’s funny that it stands out so much, you wouldn’t think it would.

11. Destroye says:

I won’t buy it because my computer is not powerful enough, but if they ever release it on console, I’m buying it.

12. Deuternonomy says:

Out of sheer curiousity, why have you come to this site?

13. tigershuffle says:

spent many a late night playing Iron Crescendo multiplayer/campaign of RO…….still love the tanks (if only the bots had a brain for driving your tank)

and still dip in to Darkest Hour mod every now and again

will prob get this :)

14. Jambaya says:

Here’s hoping they fix the netcode from the first one.

15. Neut says:

Loved the original, was my second favourite multiplayer game after TF2, really looking forward to this.

16. Frankle says:

I liked the Origional But never really got a chance to really play it as none of my friends wanted to play.
    I really like some of the ideas. Some that I would love to see being put into other games eg. Battlefield 3.
    Yes I know two quite different stiles of fps but a man can dream.

17. shadess says:

Wasn’t a huge fan of the original but this does look pretty damn good.

18. InsidiousBoot says:

I’m not too excited because of this video because it just looks a bit too much like the orginal to me, in the sense that it doesnt add much new things and all the sounds seem like there from the original aswell apart of some new ones like the background but i’m sure they are placeholders and new gameplay will probably be showed later on.

19. Penicillin says:

That demo was using all placeholder sound effects from the first game. They apparently haven’t recorded new effects yet, but they will :)

20. Kevbo says:

Nice, I like the countdown gameplay focused on fast fun and also enjoyed the little details throughout. Hopefully the MP is good but I’ll be buying day 1 :)

21. EBass says:

Was a big fan of the original, still pretty obvious the game is in Alpha stage, for example the AI don’t have animations for working the bolts on their rifles.

Range adjustment is nice though I’m not too sure about giving snipers scope AND iron sights, last thing we need in RO is even more powerful snipers.

When I heard the word “cover system” i groaned but its not a “cover system” in the traditional sense, looks very dynamic and excellent.

Not as pretty as I’d hoped though, but oh well.

22. T says:

Looking promising. But the one thing i dislike is the death “no-animations”, they just drop…dead

23. agent47 says:

“Maybe you don’t know about Red Orchestra. It’s like a normal multiplayer shooter, except set on the Eastern front of WW2 and bleak like an elderly man having a fag break outside a pram factory on the Moon.” = best thing said ever.