European Union: Patrician IV English Demo

By Kieron Gillen on August 26th, 2010 at 2:15 pm.

Oh no! This screenshot is stuck.

One Mr Bastock informs us that following the release of the German demo there’s a PC version of the September-releasing economics game demo available on Steam. You can totally download it now. Or later. Or earlier, if you knew about it before we told you. Go demo! Go demo!

EDIT: This is interesting. The demo was up there earlier and now appears to have been removed. We’ll update with further – er – updates.

, , , , .

1. Navagon says:

Is it just me or is this game seriously butt-ugly? Patrician 2 looks a whole lot better and that was released a decade ago, and wasn’t exactly bleeding edge then.

• Skinlo says:

Thought it was quite pretty actually, but each to their own.

• Navagon says:

It’s the colour palette as much as anything. Well that and the lighting. But also the water is extremely dull and insipid, the terrain textures are too simplistic and inaccurate and then there’s the map (11th Steam shot) which just looks very pants indeed. The less said about the radioactive green glowing stuff the better I suppose.

• Sigh says:

Navagon

I think you have some valid points, but my heart melted when I saw the snow covered city…especially at night. I think I might tolerate the Not-quite-as-good-as-DawnOfDiscovery/Anno1404′s water, sharp cloud shadows, and radioactive greeness, for those fleeting moments of seeing snow fall on my Hanse aligned city while smoke gently puffs out of chimneys. Maybe I am just a hopeless romantic.

Maybe that’s why I like the snow covered nighttime map in BFBC2 despite what people say about the balance. Sure my team lost to a frenetic rush tactic, but I was spawnkilled while admiring the calendar-perfect scenery. Ahhhhh, memories.

• RedFred says:

@Sigh: God I hate the snow maps in BFBC2. All glare and shit in ma eyes!

• Navagon says:

@ Sigh

The snow does actually look good. I can agree with that. Perhaps this is partly down to the fact that nothing in those shots is oversaturated and it makes sense that the ground looks so simplistic. But whatever the reasons it does look a whole hell of a lot better like that.

2. SheffieldSteel says:

Dawn of Discovery is a tough act to follow in terms of prettiness.
    My biggest problem with the P4 video was the crazy cloud shadows. Those things are supposed to be soft and subtle, aren’t they?

3. Bema says:

Steam’s telling me the Patrician IV demo isn’t available until September…

4. cliffski says:

same here…booo…
    Isn’t there a downlaod link from the publisher? or do we not do that any more?

5. Boris says:

Oh well. Time to learn Germish.

6. Gaytard Fondue says:

First lesson: Gott bewahre! And yeah, Sauerkraut, Bratwurst, Angst, Fahrfreude and such

7. Ozzie says:

Never heard of Fahrfreude. Driving joy? Eh?? Maybe you meant Schadenfreude.
    And to reference Charlie Chaplin a bit: Sauerkraut, Wiener Schnitzel, Leberwurst!