A World Rally Championship 2010 Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on August 27th, 2010 at 1:16 pm.

Rally cars make good eating, if you can catch one.
So then, it seems that Black Bean’s return to the World Rally Championship series (which has been on hiatus for a few years) really is going all out to challenge the DiRT games as the main contenders in serious off-road racing. The new trailer is very energetic, and is making the game look like a lot of fun, even if it does seem to be lagging behind the Codies games in terms of visual splendor. Go take a look.

The game is out in October, and we’ll be studying its achievements when it arrives.

, .

1. Diziet says:

Ooh I hope it’s a return to form for an official title it’s my only complaint about Dirt 2 really. You’re in no way shape or form driving a proper rally. I miss repairing the car between rounds etc etc. I do worry that the cars look a bit ‘floaty’ in that vid, though it’s hard to tell with them cutting between the 2008 era graphics and real footage. I don’t care if the graphics are a bit old school as long as the handling feels right.

• battles_atlas says:

So you mean the incessant RAD DUDENESS of Dirt 2 didn’t make you want to stab someone in the face? I had to uninstall that game, it was sucking my will to live.

• Matt says:

I guess you’re not a rad enough dude to play with the Americans

Phinor says:

This just can’t compete with Richard Burns Rally on any level which is a shame. RBR is approaching 10 year anniversary and nothing else has come even close to it. And probably won’t in years to come. On the positive side of things, we still have RBR. It exists, and we adore it.

Couple of full stage videos from this WRC game: and . I bet I messed up the links but I’ve no way of knowing before posting this.. (or do I?)

Phinor says:

Beautiful! The links are there but the link texts are missing and rest of the message is messed up. Oh well :)

3. Blargh. says:

Why do publishers insist on mixing real footage with in game video when the [possibly early build] graphics are so disapointing and un-realfootagey?

4. james says:

sound is pretty crappy

5. BigHatDino says:

The Dirt series is in no way, shape or form a serious off-roader, so I welcome a game that actually is. I’m still having to play Colin McRae 4 to get a rally fix, it’s the last game that felt like you were driving a car on a variety of surfaces (to tell the truth, Dirt always felt like an American game, not helped by Travis Pastrana being everywhere in them).

• Derf says:

Unfortunately the trailer doesn’t come across as “serious” either. This looks like another average WRC title. I hoped they would revisit some of the grime, darkness and mud of RAC Rally.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

Travis Pastrana is pretty cool man, Ken Block is pretty uber too…
      No matter how you look at it, nothing can beat the real thing, buy a 500$ shitass car, find a fireroad, put on your dads old ’76 motorbike helmet, and go nuts >.<

6. Just Me says:

I loved the original PS2 game. two things of interest on this game. The roads are actually based on Satellite maps. The roads feel very organic. 2nd, the force feedback of the road surface, played with a Logitech wheel, is really awesome. The steering wheel will jerk out of your hands on dirt roads, and you can feel the difference between gravel, pavement, etc. It does this much better than gran tourismo, which just shakes the wheel. (you hit a pot hole, you feel it.)

no other game that i know of for both ps2 and ps3 did these things that the original WRC did on the ps2. I really hope they continue this for the ps3 version. (only game that i could hook up steering wheel, and my girl friends would have a blast, just driving down the road even at 20 miles per hour. the in car view is really awesome.)

• Jason Moyer says:

The roads are based on satellite maps? Is that why they’re as wide as a 4-lane highway?

7. Toyoch says:

Pendulum makes everything better..:D

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

Here is a rifle and a bullet. Do some good sir and put yourself out of misery..
      =P Bought 2 pendulum albums, liked one song off one of the CDs thoroughly disappointed..

8. Rob says:

Why don’t any of these games let you fall all the way down a cliff? they always cut out and warp you back onto the track.

• Blargh. says:

WRC 2 Extreme(!) did this if I recall. During the replay you could use the interior view to watch the driver and co driver, sitting nonchalantly as the car rolled over and over, as if nothing was wrong.

9. Daz says:

I wish more rally games had campaign modes like V-Rally 3

10. phuzz says:

As good a place as ever to point out why rally drivers have to be insane. Although possibly not as insane as the co-drivers who get in the car with them.