All Grown Up: New Eyemaze Game

By Alec Meer on August 30th, 2010 at 11:25 am.

The endearingly sleepy Grow series continues, with designer/animator Eyezmaze last week beckoning folk into Grow Valley. This ongoing collection of flash games is a funny series to post about, as it’s so resolutely unchanging. What else can I say beyond “the animations are wonderful and unpredictable?” While in this one one he’s extending the visual conceit into the characters interacting with the interface rather than being entirely abstracted from it, it’s still about pushing icons in the right order. The dreamlike cheer is undiminished, however, and there’s more detail and care in the animations than ever before. Play it, sigh contentedly, then try to find the secret bonus ending.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. CMaster says:

Tip for those trying to find the bonus ending – you’re looking for ways to stop things happening at all, where possible, and make them go wrong where not.

As with almost all eyezmaze games, this is brilliant.
    Still a little beyond me why a Tokyo university pays him for these mind, especially considering the terrible English used in the actual “informative” bits.

2. TheBlackBandit says:

What a phenomenal game. I love the Grow series so much. Promise me, please, RPS Hivemind, that you’ll keep an eye out for any new games.

3. CMaster says:

Oh also Alec, you typoed the tag for this post.

4. Hunam says:

Seems fun enough. I got the designer guy (the white one) so angry his head fell off.

5. pakoito says:

Straight for the walkthrough. Fine animation here chaps.

6. misterk says:

My method of playing grow is always to try a bit, decide that the logic is ridiculous and poorly telegraphed, look up the answer and enjoy the cute animations.

7. terry says:

I will check this out over lunch. I love how damn relaxing and aesthetically pleasing eyemaze stuff is.

I also clocked a new Vectorpark (Windosill) game. You seem to control an egg on a bicycle on a mysterious journey through different seasons. As usual its completely charming. http://vectorpark.com/thomas/seasons.html

8. vanarbulax says:

Really, really brilliant. Also proud to say that I got the best ending both:
    a) legitimately
    and
    b) in a reasonable amount of time.
    A first on both counts for me and a grow game.

I also thought this one was far more logical and gave much more of a reason why things fed on each other. I thought it demonstrated quite well what happens when you have a confluence of ideas and technology. So much fun watching a critical mass of innovation unfold.

9. Conlaen says:

The idle animations helped me greatly with figuring this one out a week ago. The secret ending I needed to get a walkthrough for,

Love these games!

10. Sagan says:

Yay! I enjoyed this a lot. :)

I got the perfect ending through using logic alone. All you have to do is take a couple of notes in notepad like “use dividers before pick-axe, or pick-axe will do nothing in his second round.” If one guy is ever doing nothing in a round then you did something wrong already.

11. Woffles says:

Holy crap, I remember playing this series back in 2005.

12. Lambchops says:

Aww, Eyemaze games. They may come sporadicaly but they are always sooo cute.

13. Brendan Caldwell says:

I am want huge heart for game here. It take all speak ableness from me. Smiles.

14. The Sombrero Kid says:

I would pay money for these if they weren’t free

15. LionsPhil says:

I got more fun out of this than Mafia II.

16. Choca says:

Dear friend,

Choke on shattered glass.

Thanks.

17. Something Whatever shoes says:

Also disregard the rumour going round that these shoes can make you up to 90% more suggestible to fascism, as they are just rumours*.

*allegedly