Okay, We Played Subvein For A Bit

By Jim Rossignol on August 30th, 2010 at 4:21 pm.

Thanks for downloading this and playing with me, if that’s what you did. We had a quick game and it’s a kind of GTA2 with cyberpunk twist, only it’s multiplayer. And there are elements of Counter-Strike in there. So it’s a top down shooter with money, vehicles, a skill tree, special abilities, with deathmatch and capture the flag modes. It felt a bit like the levels needed attention to make them more playable, and to make the vehicles relevant to what you are actually doing, but hey, it’s a free 20mb download. If you want to have a go at this then the European server is currently busy with RPS types shooting each other. Go take a look. (Trailer below.)

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Schaulustiger says:

GTA2? Cyberpunk? Multiplayer?

Count me in! Downloading and installing right now.

2. Devenger says:

Okay, signed up. You shoulda given your sign-in name so you could get referrals, maybe! I’m just ‘Devenger’, of course.

3. robrob says:

Read this as Subversion, got confused.

• Snall says:

Yeah I got confused/excited too, especially because the pic looked a lil Subversion-e. Sigh.

• PHeMoX says:

Lol, same here. I want Subversion more than Subvein, but I’m downloading this anyway.

4. radomaj says:

I didn’t like it then and I doubt I’ll like it now.

5. Forceflow says:

Aww. On my phone right now, will join in later.

6. Baltech says:

Well, this could be fun.

7. l1ddl3monkey says:

And another use for the 28 Days Later OST. I’ll give it a look later on this evening.

• Krikey! says:

Aye I love it.

Dag gummit, now I’m tempted to watch 28 Days Later again.

• Sigma Draconis says:

For anyone else looking for the specific track from 28 Days Later, it is:
      John Murphy — In The House – In A Heartbeat

8. Nikica says:

“It’s a kind of GTA2 with cyberpunk twist, only it’s multiplayer.”

But..but..GTA2 has multiplayer! And a really good one, doesn’t lag that much if you don’t play with someone from another continent.

9. Supraliminal says:

Last time I tried this out it was on my old computer, didn’t work.
    I’ll give it a new chance.

Fingers crossed.

10. Baltech says:

Good fun but too chaotic for me to play it longer than 30 minutes a piece.

11. x25killa says:

Downloaded it. Played it for 30 minutes. It’s not a bad game but needs a tutorial, a basic map and spawn camping remains an issue with overpowered/leveled enemies ramming spawned teammates with cars.

Norskov says:

A bit confusing at first, I somehow managed to capture a flag without knowing it and winning the round. It’s fun for a quick little match, but as mentioned it’s a bit too chaotic.

13. Devenger says:

Game seemed pretty fun – the shooting is satisfying and has challenge, as bullets take time to cover distance – but there’s the odd (vehicles!? that run everyone over!? then explode in the enemy spawn area?!) and the disappointing (persistent upgrades, and a small veteran playerbase that use these to game-breaking potential). Not sure it’ll be able to hold a large playerbase, but I hope it does, after all the good work put into it.

14. Noobix says:

Was fun for a while. Then some people realised how frickin deadly the cars were on the levels that supported them.

Narrow strip of road between both bases and cars is just asking for trouble. I found that and the ever so present team-damage from explosions and flashbangs a bit aggravating…though that might have been the server setup.

The server actually got a bit TOO crowded for me. Perfect number would be 8vs8 or 10 vs 10 at most. 16vs16 is just too hectic on the small maps and you cant get anything done for the sheer volume of players and spam.

Its a fun kind of game if you want arcadey-type team deathmatch for 30 minutes. Just dont expect for it to feel too balanced when you first jump in as the regulars are going to be straight up overpowering you as they will be far into their skill tree :D

15. MGODP says:

It’s alright. It’s a bit too chaotic at the moment, and if i hadn’t had it recommended i would have logged out after a minute of being wrecked by cars in my own spawn. Still, cool concept, just has a LOT of rough edges at the moment.

16. Zogtee says:

You lost me at multiplayer.

17. cruize says:

“GTA2 with cyberpunk twist, only it’s multiplayer”

GTA2 + cyberpunk +multiplayer = GTA2

• jeremypeel says:

Ha, yes.

I’d like to see Rockstar North do a retrospective on GTA2, ‘cos it was a weird and wonderful point in the series.

I remember them claiming they had the means of going 3D back then already but the gaming world in general wasn’t technologically equipped for it. Not sure about that, but I’d like to hear more from them!

• cruize says:

They had planned on a 3D version after the first game, but it couldn’t be realised on the Playstation. I think I read this in PCZone’s GTA retrospective.

18. Chiburger says:

It’s not that great, actually. Too chaotic, hardly enough explanation, and what kind of skill tree detracts health for one-trick-ponies? Gunplay was mediocre at best, the lighting system is shittily implemented, and car physics is just messed up.

It has alot of potential, though.

19. Reefpirate says:

I had a lot of fun with this! I’ll continue to play, because seeing over-powered veterans just gives me more motivation to climb the skill tree. You can still get kills. Kind of like Global Agenda.

Perhaps a little too action-oriented for the ‘cerebral’ readers of RPS, but for a free download, this game is already quite polished and has lots of potential.

Right now my favourite move is the ol’ invisibility/Dash into combat knife kill. The knives are quite powerful when you de-cloak, and the target person doesn’t have the spinning blades thing up. Again, kind of like melee-recon in Global Agenda :)

Thanks for the recommendation, probably would’ve taken me a while to find this gem.

20. chills says:

Been seeing this around, have to check it out for myself at some point. Although the whole permanent dynamic lights around people thing seems odd, unless thye all happened to have flashlights on at once in some synchronised batman callout.

21. brkl says:

GTA2 was cyberpunk as well!

22. Pod says:

:D

23. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Working as a CL spam bot…good work!