Find The Love: Mystery P.I. San Fran Demo

By John Walker on August 31st, 2010 at 9:25 am.

Play along at home!

You know what – you’re wrong about hidden object games. Sure, there’s an awful lot of crappy ones, and sure, people who don’t like hardcore turn-based strategy are happy to play them, but stop judging. They’re calming fun, and the best of the bunch are the Mystery P.I. series, made by SpinTop Games. There’s a new one out (which is a bit like saying, “There’s a Tuesday this week”) called Stolen In San Francisco, and you can download a demo from here. And then you’ll want to play it for more than the allowed hour, and then you’ll realise I was right. So there. I recommend putting on a favourite podcast in the background as you play, and then just relaxing – no one’s looking, no one is right to judge.

, , , , .

1. Dlarit says:

Asses I read magnum P.I first and was disappointed when I re-read it…

2. Theoban says:

Asses I’ve always been tempted by hidden object games, maybe it’s time to Dip The Toe

• patricij says:

Asses I never completed a single HOG :(, but Drawn 1 was sweet. Guess I prefer Peggle-like arcades and adventure-trade “simulator”-sea strategy hybrids from Sandlot like Chocolatier or Tradewinds – Odyssey and Legends were GREAT fun…

-Frankie The Patrician[PF]

• patricij says:

reply fail…scratch the “Drawn1″ part…

3. robrob says:

Asses I’m at work how can you be sure nobody is looking!

4. Para says:

Naw I’m pretty sure I got it right about hidden object games, well seeya.

5. Mike says:

John, come home. It’s okay. All’s forgiven.

6. Xercies says:

My favourite podcast Rum Doings is only out tommorow so I’ll download it then ;)

7. futage says:

Asses I bet you like jigsaw puzzles too.

8. mwtb says:

I view HoGs as chewing gum. Some people like to always have a stick on the go and as soon as they’ve masticated the flavour out of one they’ll mechanically reach for another to keep their jaw busy. That’s all fine, but when you’re a food writer and you decide to tell your readers about the great new gum you’ve found… well, you just might have a problem.

Mr Walker, I gave your promoted gum a whirl. It is indeed chewy and mint flavoured, but I’m afraid I can’t see how it rises above the other minty and dentally resistant gums I have tried in the past. As with the others, I’m left unsatiated, a bit gassy and in need of something more nutritious.

9. Reverend Speed says:

Asses. That’s a pretty shitty way to waste my time.

And I’ve seen The Expendables.

10. Matt says:

Hidden object games are what one plays on the Megatouch machines in bars.

11. amandachen says:

Not even Gabriel Knight can explain why you are searching through piles of trash for, well, 4 butterflies, a bowling pin, and a pair of scissors. It’s laughable how thin the themes and plots are for some of these hidden object games.

12. Clovis says:

Somebody warn the conductor that there’s a shoe on the track!

The fact that I got excited when I saw the peace symbol does not mean this is an acceptable form of entertainment. Items should only be a few pixels in size and blend in with the background, necessitating that the user slowly move his/her cursor across the entire screen. Once the item is found, the user should be forced to try to combine said object with every other object in his inventory and the scenery. That’s a proper man’s game.

• Matt says:

It also helps if there’s the threat of death around every corner, and the ability to lose the game because an item required for the finale was not picked up in the first location.

13. Bullwinkle says:

Hidden objects and asses? BAN THIS SICK FILTH

14. Trin says:

On the subject of my favorite podcast, please make more of my favorite podcast!

15. terry says:

Hidden Object games = the poor man’s Where’s Wally? :P

16. Freud says:

If you play hidden object games you get hairy palms.

17. Red Avatar says:

I actually enjoy playing those now and then when I’m bored :p Oh I should check if any exist for the Android.

18. Andreas says:

You should try Myster Case Files:Return to Ravehearst or Myster Case Files: Dire Grove. Those are good Hidden Object games with som lite adventure between the hidden object scenes.

19. Shagittarius says:

Can’t I just play from the picture in the article?

20. Taillefer says:

Drawn: Dark Flight, sequel to Drawn: The Painted Tower should also be out now. It’s a mixture of puzzles and hidden objects. All packaged up with a light, fantasy story, some lovely music, and looking very pretty (which is the main attraction, admittedly).

Great to play along with younger ones too.