I Want My Mummy: Blood Bowl Khemri

By Kieron Gillen on August 31st, 2010 at 6:55 pm.

Taxi!

If I said that today Cyanide reveal the Blood Bowl Khemri, would you be excited? If you don’t know the Khemri are, no, you wouldn’t. They’re Egyptian skeletons and mummies and shit! Them, playing a hyper-violent American-Football-esque game? That’s probably worth money, and that’s exactly what they’re up to in the forthcoming Blood Bowl: Legendary edition. You can go and see their screenshots here. Regular readers may wonder why we regularly post links to just screenshots of Blood Bowl when we don’t do it for anyone else. Well, because Cyanide do awesome screenshots, frankly. TRY HARDER, DEVS. Also, we’re foolishly enamoured with Blood Bowl, obv. I also notice the Amazons have been unveiled since the last time we posted about the Legendary edition. It’s probably lucky we didn’t post about them, as we’d have to go on another one of our BOOB CRITICISM rampages, probably saying something about how historically Amazons had one boob except the Amazons didn’t exist and the evidence on their one-boobosity is conflicted anyway so that’s that sketch knackered then. Er… Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition will be released before Chrimble.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. rfry11 says:

Blood Bowl has consistently been one of those games that I’ve always wanted, but I’ve never wanted to pay for it. Maybe if they drop the price on Steam to a more reasonable, $40 for a turn based Fantasy version of Madden is just a bit too high. On the flip side, the game looks like it’s just bleeding character, and it appears to have more features than Madden. I think it just needs either a price drop or a demo.

• Peterkopf says:

Yeah, that was me for a while. I finally jumped in and realized what a huge waste of 40 bucks that was. It’s an awful piece of work. It looks pretty in screens, but once you see how long it takes to load the pretty simple graphics, and how awful and mechanical the animations are, you kinda forget about that. I was hoping for a turnbased fantasy Madden myself, but it’s just leagues below anything like that.

• Dlarit says:

I agree 100% if this ends up on one of steams crazy sales my toe will be dipped, I’ll probably be 18months time but i’m not ruling it out.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

I expected Cyanide to release something of a stand alone expansion (something like the Dawn of War expansions), but it appears everyone will have to pay full price and the two products won’t be connected. So if you do want Blood Bowl : Legendary Edition, don’t get the regular edition of Blood Bowl.

Me, I already have Blood Bowl, but I’ve played it quite enough to warrant the purchase in my eyes.

2. Pokemanz says:

TITS!

3. Ian says:

Technically they’re tomb guardians now, not mummies.

Derrr.

(Right?)

4. pakoito says:

Hmmmm, if it works on my crappy network I might buy it. The lack of teams and general polish kept me away from last one.

5. Junior says:

Will probably be too expensive (Based on the price of the last one, especially if you’ve got to fork out the same price twice.) and I’m willing to bet the Ai will still be pants on head retarded.

Yeah yeah, I know I’m supposed to be thrashed online and enjoy it, not happening. It’d still be a nice touch if say, wood elves for example didn’t try to cage up and slowly inch their way down the pitch EVERY SINGLE TIME.

I really like the game, but this sort of thing isn’t endearing me to the developers.

• Arathain says:

Wood Elves caging? Lord, how happy I would be if Woodies caged up so I could beat the tar out of them. If you have trouble with squishy elfy cages what happens when Dwarfs cage up on you?

• Vinraith says:

@Arathain

You’re missing his point. The AI cages up with Wood Elves. That doesn’t make it too hard to deal with, it makes it much, much too easy to beat.

• Junior says:

That’s the thing though, it was a doddle to deal with with my skaven, dwarves were naturally a little harder. But the orcs caged in such a determined and anal manner that they rarely left their half and frequently passed the ball further back in order to cage up elsewhere.

I know I’m only playing a dumb Ai, but sometimes it seems like they got the gameplans mixed up between species, humans play a better passing game than elves. Simply because the elves never even try to pass.

• Arathain says:

Wait wait wait, you’re saying the AI is bad because it’s caging with Woodies. I gets it. I cans read.

I should point out that getting horribly thrashed online in Bloodbowl is far more enjoyable than in almost any other game, particularly if you’re playing against fun folk with the right attitude. You can find some of those in our very own forums, right FUMBBL crew? I’m willing to bet the Cyanide RPS Bloodbowlers are an equally enjoyable bunch of opponents.

• Ian says:

**Arathain gains +1 Plugging Skill!**

• Arathain says:

Darn it. I really wanted a double.

6. Vinraith says:

I do hope the AI is improved (or at least more transparently moddable) but there’s no real chance I won’t be getting this. I got hundreds of hours of fun out of the first iteration, and this looks to be even better.

• Janek says:

There’s an unofficial dev Q&A knocking about on the forum somewhere that basically states modding is a big no-no. Also that the extent of their AI improvements is setting correcting player types, and increasing starting TV for AI sides (explicitly citing Stw402’s mod)

It’s pretty miserable reading if you ask me. But then I’m a huge miser so that’s what I always say.

• Vinraith says:

Ugh, that is decidedly less than encouraging. Honestly, in a world with FUMBBL, why wouldn’t the SP be a bigger focus for this? Well, maybe I’ll pick it up for cheap down the road.

7. Marcus says:

Didn’t you also write the comic for an earlier version of this?

8. laikapants says:

@rfr11: Should you happen to be a dirty colonist like myself, you can have yourself a copy of Blood Bowl for $6.20 via Amazon. British folk can have a copy for £13.99 from their Amazon.

9. Caleb367 says:

People, I bought BB on Steam after reading those wonderful diaries here on RPS, i quite like the game but… i can’t understand what’s going on! Anyone knows a guide for total clueless newbies?

10. Pijama says:

I am interested in this Legendary edition, but I would like to know if the issues I saw in Blood Bowl community are going to be solved before purchasing it… And if it is going to be an expansion or full game, of course =D

Apparently, the earlier Blood Bowl game was made just to get enough money to do this one. Fine, but then let’s get a GREAT game then!

11. apricotsoup says:

http://talkfantasyfootball.org/ is the best forum for all things blood bowl.

If you want to look up play guides, ask the guy that wrote the rules questions or anything in between, this forum is the only place you need to check.

As for khemri, pretty but not my team (still missing chaos dwarfs :E)

12. TotalBiscuit says:

Meh, Blood Bowl doesn’t work on a computer. The game is full of bullshit and RNG to the point where you can only really deal with it in a social environment where you can just laugh it off. On a computer, it is rage-inducingly awful. Why yes, I did just roll 3 1s in a row, oh and my best player tripped over his own shoelaces and died? Yay!

Bugger that, if I play that game anymore I’ll die of apoplexy

• Andy says:

I actually wrote my own stats collector for my dice rolls as I was convinced that long strings of dodgy rolls was one of the ways the AI got ‘harder’ to beat.
      It wasn’t but in the same way as puzzle quest it’s the things going wrong that you remember so you convince yourself that the AI is cheating.
      Still, I personally love Cyanide’s version of the game and am hugely looking forward to this as long as I actually find some time for it in-between playing Civ5 and New Vegas… :s

13. Xercies says:

i want this but i’m not liking that you basically have to buy the game again to get this stuff. i want a patch or at least a paid DLC kind of thing for this. Pisses me off otherwise.

14. wcaypahwat says:

Is the DS version of bloodbowl worth getting to get some practice games in during the wait?

15. VonFIDDE says:

I dont really care about the price, if it is a game i enjoy why not pay for it. Goody games you will spend alot of time with, hence its worth every penny :). However i really hope this next game gets better MP-support.

16. Sorbicol says:

If, somwhere inbetween coding all the new teams Cyanide managed to completely overhaul and fix the utterly dire Online match system, then this will be a purchase worth making. However considering the utter distain with which they have treated all the complaints for the current version, I can’t see it happening.

We just played a league using the current version, 8 players. I think only 40% of the matches were actually completed without the game arbitarily dropping the connection. That’s not the basis of being able to play a competitive league, especially where there is no replay option. And as for having to manually set your ports through your router / firewall. When was the last time anyone had to do that for a mainstream release?!?

17. bill says:

I gotta say that i’ve never heard of them… despite playing a fair bit of BB back in the day.

Actually, I’m not sure ANY of the races being added to the legendary edition are remotely interesting. Well, they might be interesting, but they’re not the races everyone knows and loves. Dark Elves edition already seemed to have all the races needed – it just needed some patching, tweaking and AI.

18. Ixian says:

You have that many disconnects? I am in my third season with CURB and I have had 1 disconnect so far. I know some people have had more issues with it but it doesn’t seem to be any worse then most other online games I have played.

19. skizelo says:

Wake me when Cyanide have figures out bull centaurs, spectators, weather.

• Combat says:

Wake up! Weather & fan stuff is in blood bowl, 2/3 ain’t bad, xhaos dwarf team is a noon for now though
      Having picked up both titles I’d say they were both worth it, though legendary edition is by far superior, it’s what the original should have been, I’ve had a much better experience from legendary so far, more polished & RNG has been way better, worth the money I’d say