Where There’s A Will: Legacy

By Kieron Gillen on August 31st, 2010 at 9:21 pm.

Yeah, you'll see why I didn't use a screenshot of the game.

I’ve only had a quick prod at this, but it’s interesting enough to post – and there’s a reason why posting sooner rather than later, as there’s a sorta-time-limit here. Radio 7 have done a two part radio drama, about a pair of siblings discovering that their inheritance is harder to get than you may expect. However, it’s complimented by an audio-lead web-adventure . The game concentrates on one brother’s perspective. The radio play concentrates on the other. By experiencing them all, you’ll get more of the picture. The game’s produced by DESQ, and is graphically simple and based around simple adventure-style interaction (Finding items, examining stuff, combining, etc), but with pretty neat audio. While the game’s online indefinitely, the radio play is only on the iPlayer service – which means the first part isn’t there any more and the second one only has another five days on its clock. So get a move on, eh? Fascinating to see the BBC trying something that’s as determinedly cross-media as this. Go play here or listen here.

EDIT: However, the play will be broadcast again on the 17th and 24th of September, meaning that it’ll be back on Iplayer for a week then.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. PleasingFungus says:

Firefox: “I will inherit my father’s legacy!”
    Chrome: “Never! You don’t deserve it! The marketshare is mine by rights!”

(“a pair of browsers”?)

2. Thants says:

One of the best things about this new media is that you don’t have to listen to something only at the time it’s broadcast. Making an internet radio play and then having arbitrary restrictions on when I can listen to it seems like they’re missing the point.

3. LewieP says:

Also fascinating to see the BBC ruin something interesting by taking it down before people can properly enjoy it.

• LewieP says:

More thoughts:
      I’d understand if it was because they were intending to sell it internationally, but right now that is content that just isn’t available at all, commercially or otherwise.

They really need to get their act together.

4. SheffieldSteel says:

“Help I’ve lost my audio lead. Now I can’t plug in my bass guitar.”
    “Let’s see if we can find it using the power of the internets…”

And so the fascinating audio-lead web-adventure began…

…or not?

5. stahlwerk says:

Why isn’t there anything like the schengen space for european public or state owned broadcasting organizations? Just pool the participating nations budgets, it couldn’t be that hard to establish something like this.

6. Tilla says:

Interesting project but god I hate the fact that they take down prior eps. Of course this probably has something to do with Britain’s eldrich broadcast regulations. Bah.

• jeremypeel says:

I suspect you’re right, but the fact that you used the word ‘eldrich’ just makes the regulations sound rather cool and arcane in my fantasy mush-mind.

7. ella says:

Coucou ! Pas trop le temps de te lire mais merci aussi.

8. Brendan says:

I produced this game for the BBC. Great to hear all the feedback on it both good and bad. As you can no doubt imagine this type of project represents something of a departure for the BBC both in terms of gaming and also producing a multi-platform narrative. All the comments here help us assess what worked and what didn’t go so well. Your thoughts will all feed into future projects so they are genuinely gratefully received.

Given some of the comments above you might be interested to know that the radio drama that accompanies the game is currently available to listen to until Thursday 23 September. If anyone missed it the first time around do have a listen. It gives a different perspective on the storyline in the game and fills out the backstory further.

9. Louboutin Chaussures says:

Chaque femme peut être un ange dans le monde Chaussure Christian Louboutin.

Mais quelques-uns qui étaient de jimmy choo chaussures,

Comment on this story