World Of Tanks Beta, Continued

By Jim Rossignol on August 31st, 2010 at 3:36 pm.

We absolutely haven’t posted enough about World Of Tanks, the free tank-battling game. Sorry about that. It’s in beta at the moment, and is just about to launch into another round of testing after 70,000 people played in the first stage. I’ve not really spent enough time with it to feel confident of writing a preview, but the few hours I’ve had in the belly of the beast have been great. The combat and tank-equipping is detailed enough and deep enough to be compelling, but I’m yet to really get a handle on the wider world-conquering stuff, or the way in which you level up through the tiers of tanks. It’s seems interesting, and deserves more time. Anyway, you can probably have a gander at it for yourself, as the beta is taking another round of sign-ups just here.

, .

1. mrmud says:

I didnt play very many hours but from what I played it seemed like the lack of different gameplay modes is the biggest hurdle to this being fun.

In most of the games I played there were always some people who were camping the spawns and never moved out, and they werent really encouraged by the game design to do so.

• MWoody says:

What’s the difference between camping your spawn and defending your base?

• mrmud says:

And thats the problem.
      The game needs a game mode where not both teams are tasked with defending their base.

• Beanbee says:

Counter-strike esque rounds with a shared objective and no respawn to the end of the round.

• Tacroy says:

There’s currently no respawn at all – it’s kind of fun actually, because it encourages you to use all your tanks.

For instance, let’s say I take my light German tank out into a battle, channel the spirit of the Orks and charge right in – and get my ass blown up, while spotting a couple of enemy units (this actually gives you points, it’s kinda fun). That tank is now disabled until the battle ends – I can’t respawn, and I can’t join other battles with it.. I can hang out and yell at people as a ghost, but my tank is down and I can’t really play any more so I exit the battle.

So, I take my light Russian tank and charge into another battle somewhere else. Same deal – spot some enemies, blow one or two up, explode due to arty. Now this tank is disabled, and because the other battle is still going on, my German tank is also disabled.

So I take my last tank, a Russian artillery tank. I hide out in the bushes, blow some people up, and miraculously manage to survive until the end of the battle.

This time, when I get back to my garage, I get three little toast popups in the lower-right corner – my team won the battle I was in with the Russian tank, lost the battle I was in as a German, and won the battle where I was an SPG. I get credits and experience for those things based on how well I performed while my tanks were working, even though I left in the middle of the battle. I use the experience to unlock upgrades for my tanks, use the credits to repair and rearm and buy the upgrades*, and go through the whole thing again.

There’s a bit more downtime when you first start – I started out with two tanks, which meant that I’d have to spend three or four minutes poking around the interface before one of them came back from the battle. However, I unlocked my first Tier 2 tank pretty quickly, so at that point there wasn’t any more downtime.

*This is kind of confusing – you use tank-specific experience to unlock new equipment, then you use your general credit pool to buy the equipment.

• mrmud says:

You can leave the game and still get experience while you are playing with another tank?
      Why does the game not explain this?

I was sitting there reading a book waiting for the endless turns to finish and ultimately that was what turned me off from the game. But this sounds fantastic.

2. KilgoreTrout XL says:

The beta signup form asks hard-hitting questions.

“What attracts you most in World of Tanks?

[ x ] Tanks”

stahlwerk says:

It helps them weed out the fake applications.

You better like TANKS… OR ELSE!

3. Tei says:

I has been too busy with APB “4 dudes in a car, high speed, bullets” to play this. But I plan to start with this as soon the server launch again.

I have no idea what I will see, but from the sound of it, seems like a gear race to top with oldbies oneshoting newbies.

• Sam says:

Balanced somewhat because the bigger tanks cost so much to maintain, in terms of repair and ammunition. If you get destroyed, you may have to play 2-3 games as cheaper tanks to get your money back. There will always be medium and light tanks in the game for this exact reason.

• DarkFenix says:

The problem with lowbies isn’t that their tanks suck, it’s that they’re so green they haven’t fully grasped the tactical aspect of the game yet in combination with the fact that their tanks suck. When I go and play in a low end tank (being predominantly a user of high end vehicles) I don’t get one shotted by heavy tanks much (sometimes they get a phenomenally lucky shot, but everything suffers from those) because I know where to go to avoid them, and should I bump into one what to do to escape.

• Tei says:

“The problem with lowbies isn’t that their tanks suck, it’s that they’re so green they haven’t fully grasped the tactical aspect of the game yet in combination with the fact that their tanks suck. “

This is exactly how it works on APB. I feel I will fit in.

4. Lack_26 says:

I’ve been playing the hell out of, I love the german TD line especially. The Hetzer is kind of cute, the Stug III drives well enough to tackle mediums one on one easily and the JagdPanzer IV has such a low profile that you’re doing something quite wrong if you get hit.

Nothing like seeing an MS-1 effectively immobilising an IS-7, which had reversed into a corner, by ramming into it and dying (hence trapping the IS), though.

JB says:

@ Lack_26 I love my hetzer too, but it’s soooo slow. And if you get caught in the side armour…ouch. But still fun to use.

Arty is still my first love though. Whhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeebang!

• DarkFenix says:

Ah the good old lower end tank destroyers, so damn stealthy. Sadly the gameplan has to be different once you reach the jagdpanther and beyond, they’re too big to hide, so they have to rely on long range firepower to achieve best results.

• Lack_26 says:

@JB, I agree it’s a lovely tank, but I swear it doesn’t actually have an engine and it’s just being pushed.

• Mad Doc MacRae says:

Oi, don’t knock the JPanther! Beautiful vehicle – reasonable speed, great turning radius (especially if you get enhanced tracks), good survivability, perfect gun (the long 88mm). You can still be sneaky with it but unlike the ealier TD’s if you’re spotted you can outrun anything you can’t outfight.

They’re all really fun to play except for the Ferdinand though. TD FOR LIFE.

5. Sam C. says:

Man, I’ve been trying to get into the beta for this since I saw the first previews, but no luck. It looks like my cup of tea.

6. GigaFuzz says:

My flatmate and I have been playing the hell out of this, and I can’t wait for it to start back up again tomorrow (though on US servers, sadly). Bloody typical that I start a new job on the day it comes back, though!

JB says:

Also, the group system should now be up and running which means it’s no longer luck of the draw getting into a game with friends. On that note, Sunjumper has set up a Rock, Paper, Sherman channel so feel free to stop by and join in. (Search for “Rock” without quotation marks in the channle list, should be easy enough to find us).

• GigaFuzz says:

@JB

The grouping system isn’t coming until the patch, which won’t be deployed until ‘several’ days after the servers go back up. A wee bit longer to wait. :(

JB says:

@ Gigafuzz: Ah yes, my mistake. Anyway my point still stands, it just stands “several days” later is all =)

8. Eskay says:

You can get a beta code at Shattered Crystal. This is a fun game. The world capturing stuff is not implemented yet… right now it’s just endless glorious tank battling.

• MJS says:

Where I got my key from as well, much quicker than going through the WoT site.

Really fun game, more than it should be.

9. Sunjumper says:

Yep. We have our own channel Rock Paper Sherman (case sensitive!) where or at least most of the resident RPS tank-pilots reside. Feel free to ‘join’. Once inside the channel it will always load when you start the game.

When there are enough people around it is actually worth doing a ‘training’ campaign were two team can go into a map and start a nice little skirmish with a bit more tactics than the usual chaos theory based matches on the ‘normal’ open for everyone maps.

JB says:

I’ve just logged in, looks like the update/change of servers has shut the channel down. The soft wipe in “several days” may well do the same.

10. Cvnk says:

I fear for my future productivity. I’m already playing this game way too much with its limited set of maps and game modes. Once they start releasing more maps (they claim 1 or 2 a week eventually — not sure for how long), open up the American tank line, add the campaign mode, and hopefully mix up some of the match goals I’m not sure if I will remember to feed myself, never mind stay productive.

11. Mr Bismarck says:

The thing most often killed in this game is my graphics card. Which makes me a sad bunny.

I can run Just Cause 2 and lots of other pretty stuff without issue, but a few tanks rolling about and I hard crash to a reboot within five minutes.

Alegis says:

Hetzer has a nice low profile for hiding but shoots water balloons. Caught in the open you’re immediately fried.

The JagdPanther is a lean monster. Had one before the reset, though I’m thinking of getting a king tiger instead of a ferdinand when beta goes up again. Great armor and firepower, but its limitations in turret range limit your mobility which in turn limits your playing style.

Kelron says:

Missed playing this for the past few days. Looking forward to trying out some new tanks soon.

14. pagad says:

I personally can’t wait to get my hands on a Panther. I think I may have accumulated enough exp pre-upgrade to go straight through its tech tree, so fingers crossed.

15. phawkins1988 says:

Really can’t recommend this enough. Most fun I’ve had in a long while.

16. Darkdobe says:

I was one of those jerks in the high-end artillery cannons that made everyone angry – especially you tank destroyers with your nonexistant upper-side armor.

To all the artillery haters – buy one and play a few rounds, and you might be able to see how to counter most artillery – and, after watching your teammates – where the artiguns like to lurk!

• DarkFenix says:

Played up to and including a Hummel (top end German arty for those not in the know). It is overpowered.

The ability to reliably one shot kill someone with no chance for avoidance or retaliation is bad game design. A shame given how well the rest of the game works.

• pagad says:

I don’t think it *is* overpowered, speaking as someone who’s used artillery maybe twice. Even the big bastards like the Hummel and S-56 are incredibly vulnerable if an enemy tank so much as breathes on them. I once won a game in a T-34 with a 57mm ZiS in which I finished off one last enemy T-44 (on 3%!) and the rest of the enemy team were high-end artillery pieces – which I easily shot to shit. 20,000 credits from that game. Happy times.

17. tigershuffle says:

still getting ctds in Win7…….works fine on my XP dualboot but its a pain switchin at startup

for a beta its looking fine …… theyve done a wipe..but given everybody 5K of gold :)

Oh and whilst here for trackheads…….T34 vs Tiger game is actually playable now – see
    http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=158301 -

and http://www.tanksimzw.com/Project-index.htm

and also Steel Fury is also still been supported with Steel Panzers 1.5 mod been released soon – includes Tiger tank?! etc – forums are at graviteam

18. pagad says:

Is anyone else having trouble getting it to work after reinstalling? There’s no “Play” option for me in the launcher.