Zombies Exposed: Dead Rising 2 Trailer

By John Walker on August 31st, 2010 at 9:10 am.

Now THAT'S gaming.

“What makes it fun is playing it.” This is the rather excellent reply from a Blue Castle developer talking about Dead Rising 2. In the trailer below you can see an awful lot of footage of the game, but also find out the story behind it all. The story of ex-motocross champion Chuck Greene, and his desperate fight against a zombie outbreak in Fortune City, motivated by attempting to find the drug Zombrex to keep his young daughter alive.

The game is out on the 28th September, so not long to wait. Unlike the first game, it’s appearing on PC, finally allowing us to slaughter thousands of zombies with any available furniture, sporting equipment or stuffed animals. The trailer below explains the plot very well, as well as letting you see some of the new combo weapons (two other objects joined together to create something more powerful) in use.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Tei says:

* drops monocle *
    So is like “I am legend” (the book), but with zombies?

• Alexander Norris says:

No, because you can’t talk to the zombies.

• Snall says:

You would have talked to vampires? Hell with their new society, kill um!!

• Bret says:

Well, you also don’t have as much crushing loneliness and depression, what with other survivors and all.

Also, I’m pretty sure you don’t have to kill your dog.

2. Mimicsong says:

Oh damn! I can’t wait then! Finally, on the PC. I like!

3. misterk says:

I just hope its an improvement on the infuriatingly difficult (in a mean, stop having fun philosophy behind many of the design choices) original.

4. https://encrypted.google.com/Shrewsbury says:

Games for Windows Live = No Buy.

• monkeybreadman says:

Right on, plus it looks stupid (not good stupid but shit stupid)

• DrGonzo says:

You sir, are wrong. It looks very good stupid, much like the first. But yes. Gfwl BOO!

I believe I will pirate this now.

• subedii says:

Or you know, don’t. Why do people presume it’s acceptable to post that they’re going to pirate games here?

Pirating it isn’t “sticking it to the man”, you’re not making a “point” other than saying that the platform is unviable.

Here’s a tip, if you dislike GFWL that much, then don’t buy it, and don’t play it either. If you want, send an e-mail to the devs detailing why you avoided their game, maybe they’ll listen. Maybe they won’t. But least you’ve done something constructive towards your perceived problem.

Either way, knock it off with talking about how you’re going to pirate the game. You’re not entitled to play it, so stop acting like it, it’s a freaking game. And there’s plenty of other titles out there that you can spend your money on instead.

You know, assuming that you aren’t going to come up with an equally pithy reason for why you must pirate other titles as well.

• DrGonzo says:

I don’t really have a point. Other than I don’t want to pay for it.

• subedii says:

Good thing you can do that without pirating it.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Piracy is not boycotting. Get it through your head. I boycotted Assassin’s Creed 2 and still am. I accomplished this by IGNORING IT. I am also still boycotting Modern Warfare 2. I will not play it, pirate it, buy it, or look at it.

If you’re against GFWL, be against it. But don’t go half baked because you don’t wanna miss out. Swallow your “morals” and enjoy the game or don’t and don’t play it.

You only win as a pirate in special cases. Like if you pirate Metallica (though I think they’re terrible and I like metal).

5. terry says:

I’m holding off on this until I see how the port is. It’s not being made on MT framework and I’m not even sure it’s being developed in-house.

6. dethtoll says:

I really wish I could pick this up on release, but I may have to wait for it as a holiday gift. That said, I’ll probably be getting the 360 version- to go with my copy of the first game, plus I’m buying Case Zero as soon as I find it on XBLA today, and the stats carry over into the main game, which influences my buying decision a lot.

It’s great to finally see a Dead Rising game on the PC, though; I’ve always felt that aside from some stilted dialogue, Dead Rising was rather much like a Western game. I only hope the time limit isn’t as punishing this time around.

7. Shadow Aspect says:

Play are doing a pre-order bonus wherein you can get a replacement game case wallet from Capcom, with your own face, zombified. Since it’s only £25 I went ahead and pre-ordered. :D

8. Oozo says:

It has a plot? Why does it have a plot? Is “I did equip my wheelchair with chainsaws and mowed through a horde of zombies” not narrative enough?

• Thermal Ions says:

Let’s just hope the gameplay isn’t on the same level as the plot (i.e. down in the sub-basement garage)

• DJ Phantoon says:

Yeah that was a really obnoxious achievement. Still, it was neat they had a sub basement garage to wander around in.

• DrGonzo says:

The plot was really the worst bit of the first game. Though it was pretty easy to ignore.

I have to think that they are aware of how awful the plot is though as they allow you to dress up in drag throughout, which I think actually makes the story better.

9. Muzman says:

Nothing but disgusting Liberal agitprop for socialised medicine.
    The designers are all Canadian too. *spits*

10. Nihilille says:

I actually thought the plot description Walker wrote was a joke and laughed a bit until I saw the clip and it was actually true…

11. Okami says:

I don’t think I like the idea of giving the game such a personal backstory. One of the strong points of Dead Rising was the whole premise: Here’s a mall full of Zombies, we’ll pick you up in three days, have fun! This whole setup also supported idea of replaying the game many times, since you could never experience all the content in one playthrough anyway, leading to a very interesting narrative structure, that hasn’t really been done before or since in a videogame.

This game looks much more conservative and unimaginative in this department, which really is a shame..

• Kryopsis says:

The first Dead Rising had a rather convoluted plot that required the player to constantly stop what they were doing in order to rush to the next event location. Have you actually played the game? Do you have sufficient information in order to issue a verdict on the sequel? Granted, for all I know, Blue Castle is an inept developer but Dead Rising was always about gameplay, not plot outlines. Judging by this trailer, Zombrex is just a McGuffin.

12. Dominic White says:

Really, 90% of the complaints about Dead Rising can be summed up as ‘People wanted Grand Theft Zombie’. A game where you go around causing mayhem as you please, and occasionally doing something plot-related.

That wasn’t what Dead Rising was about, though. It was a proper Romero-style zombie adventure, where the zombies really were just the backdrop, and fellow humans are the biggest threat to your life. Not every survivor would make it out (I only managed to save a handfull of people even thoguh I got the best possible ending), you can’t be everywhere at all times, and generally you have to manage your resources as any good zombie movie protagonist should.

Dead Rising was ALL about meaningful choices. Even if you fuck up a main plot mission, the game didn’t end. It continued and eventually ended on a less conclusive note, and encouraged you to play again and see how it could have turned out differently. And that’s why it’s brilliant. The time limit, the limited resources and the rising tide of undead are things hey shouldn’t chuck out – they should try to replicate it.

And now for Rab Florence telling you why it was so great.

• RobF says:

Were they? Here’s me thinking it was because it had an arse backwards save system, a levelling up structure that made the first hour or so painful to wade through where you start off so “underpowered” that even walking 2ft down a corridor is a chore, stupendously horrid difficulty spikes and more.

Not because it wasn’t Grand Theft Zombie.

• dethtoll says:

This post is a perfect example of someone who gets Dead Rising. If you stick to the story, then it’s not Grand Theft Zombie, and maybe that’s a shame, but it’s still a straight up human drama. That’s actually one of the many ways it’s opposite to Resident Evil, Capcom’s other big zombie franchise. RE has always been about the immediate danger, a tense situation where a small mistake could kill you, and you have to escape. The zombies in Dead Rising are strictly an environmental hazard, a backdrop to real characters. Sure you can chuckle and sip your brandy and sit in your smoking jacket and talk about how the plot sucks ’til your monocle pops off but it’s still a human drama and it’s still competently told… so long as you’re there on time to hear it.

• Dominic White says:

I keep hearing about Dead Rising being unfair and too hard or whatever. Even been told to my face that it’s literally impossible to get the best ending without restarting the game several times.

I got it on my first try, with only a couple of deaths (didn’t restart – just went back to my last save), and generally little difficulty. I focused on the plot events and only did the side-missions when I was sure I had the time. A lot of innocents died, including one moment that made me feel really bad – I was trying to escort a grieving mother to safety, but she got cornered by zombies, so I go in there with a sledgehammer, swinging to try and clear a path. One of them gets too close and I go for an overhead swing.

And miss. And the womans head explodes in a shower of gore.

Oh shit. I felt bad about that the entire rest of the game. Dead Rising was brilliant.

• DrGonzo says:

Well I don’t know anyone who finished it on their first attempt. I know it’s possible as I got it on my second play through. But the game suggests it’s a playground, if you actually spend anytime messing about at all you’ve failed 10 hours from now because you won’t have enough time. The game gives you no idea of how much you have left.

The bosses are absolutely crap and not entertaining in the slightest. The controls are pretty horrific, especially with the guns.

I did enjoy the game, but not the story in the slightest, or pretty much any encounter with any other human in the game, friend or foe.

Dead Rising was entertaining but horrifically flawed. I would in fact say that it was GTA with zombies and that was the issue. Instead of is saying survive x amount of time and giving you a world to play with, it gave you stupid story missions like in GTA. The only difference being that it had a time limit.

I wanted a zombie survival simulator. Or at least a good GTA with zombies. And it was neither.

• lokimotive says:

Resource management? Tension due to timed events? Meaningful choices? What is this, an Ice Pick Lodge Game?

• FunkyBadger says:

And it had the worst difficulty curve I can remember. Games are meant to start at a certain level, then get harder and/or teach you new techniques to overcome the challenges.

DR? Not so much. Also: worst shooting controls eva.

• Dominic White says:

There’s a simple toggle in the options menu for DR1. Something like ‘Target when aiming = Player Facing/Camera’. Switch to Camera and the WORST CONTROLS EVAR turn into exactly the same as every other third-person shooter.

• FunkyBadger says:

DW: cool, they hid the “Unshitify” button deep in their option screens – lets not mention the fonts issue…

…if I hadn’t traded it in 2 years ago, I’d be tempted to re-visit.

(And I liked DR – it was horrible mangled and almost unplayable, yet still really playable)

• Dominic White says:

There is a single screen of options. If you don’t have the wits to figure out a single toggle, then what the hell are you doing playing videogames? Really, a lot of the complaints levelled at the game are *really* reaching.

• Psychopomp says:

>arse backwards save system

You mean the save system that prevented scumming, and forced you to make choices on the spot?

13. Jad says:

They really should have cleaned off the grease on the edges of the camera lens before they filmed those interviews.

Anyway, I’m really glad this game is coming out for PC. Capcom does good for PC gamers.

14. Diogo Ribeiro says:

From the preview build I played, it’s good stupid. As in, Chuck’s dead serious expression while wearing a tank top and tight short jeans; trying to save his daughter by giving her Zombrex every 24 hours while freezing zombies with a fire extinguisher and breaking them with a guitar that goes “kerRANG” as it hits them; vandalizing public property in search of a bucket and a drill to produce a makeshift, almost redneck dental care program; carrying old ladies or drunk dancers into the safe house one minute and throwing jewelry like he’s throwing shurikens…

Definitely yes. Enjoyed it a lot more than Just Cause 2, really.

15. I Disagree says:

While I understand the point you are trying to make…it’s not logical.

From the ways the game played it appeared to me that it was quite the reverse of what you are all claiming…it was, much like most of the Grand Theft Autos, aspiring to be silly mayhem while also including a plot line that was stereotypical of the genre it was practically parodying.

Yes, if you force the game to play as you want it to it CAN play as a dramatic plot line in which people are your primary enemy and zombies are simply blockades as you travel between the set pieces, but when you get right down to it the game was not constructed properly to support this behavior and the art style failed to support a Romero style feeling (except for in a few of the cut scenes, which are undeniably Romero-esque) and instead felt more like Braindead (Peter Jackson’s zombie comedy…).

If I had the time I could find evidence and present it, and possibly write an entire essay about this subject, but I really do need to head off to class…

Side note: Some of the game play elements, as stated, do point towards a proper Romero style game, such as those noted in the original post. I think if some one were to truly try to make a Romero style zombie game these elements would have to be included. My issue is that these are overwhelmed by game and art design decisions that point in quite the opposite direction.

Anyway, sorry for the rant…

I like zombies…

• I Disagree says:

Worst time for a reply fail, no?

• DrGonzo says:

Some good points. But it does NOT resemble Braindead in the slightest. Dead Rising has a very clean and crisp look. Whereas Braindead is the opposite of that.

• Fumarole says:

It’s like Dead Alive in that zombies are killed in comedic ways with improvised and outright silly methods.

16. I Disagree says:

Yes I was speaking more of the players interaction with the zombies when I was referencing Dead Alive/Braindead.

The art style of the game is actually rather schizophrenic, so I would have a hard time categorizing that into a particular movie/directors style. If we remove the cut scenes it’s a bit simpler, but it still is kind of a mish-mash of styles… I would have to say that it really is a rather original take on zombies when you get down to it.

I do wish for a Romero-esque (well, classic Romero…) game in which the focus was on human interaction rather than hitting zombies in the face with various objects, but not to replace games like Dead Rising.

Well, thanks for the fun mini-argument everyone!

17. jeremypeel says:

“We don’t really talk about how to make the game, we just make it.”

So Dead Rising is essentially the result of that Don’t Talk About Games Just Make Them philosophy, posited in a patronising essay (with pretty illustrations) on some site a while back? That would give me some good ammunition in arguing how that idea is at least two parts bullshit to one part inspiration.

Does anyone know the essay I’m going on about here? I’d appreciate it if anyone can remember. Otherwise, feel free to point in another direction and I’ll blather about whatever’s over there instead.

18. herve leger says:

The artistic style of the game is actually quite schizophrenic, so I would find it difficult to categorize in a certain style of film and filmmakers. If we remove the cut-scenes Its a little easier, but it’s still a kind of mishmash of styles. And herve leger dress can shape you body

19. Jessaroo says:

Hey buddy, this is one of the best zombies that I’ve ever seen; you may include some more zombies in the same zombie theme. I’m still waiting for some interesting zombies from your side in your next post. And I like wearing zombies.

20. pipman3000 says:

i wish hideo kojima made pc games :(

• Tei says:

What make hideo kojima popular is his work on console games, he probably know a lot about game design, but the wrong one. The lessons that he has learned after years working hard, wen applied on a PC game, would have absolutelly poisonois results.
      Is like you want Michael Jordan for you team of soccer, or, I don’t know, Kasparov for your basket team.

21. HexagonalBolts says:

hahah, weirdddddd spam.

22. monkeybreadman says:

His reply button failed aswell…