Recettear + Steam = Profit?

By Alec Meer on September 1st, 2010 at 1:05 pm.

Well, hopefully. While I’m always of a mind that all games should be available on all possible digital distribution wotsits, it’s hard to deny that getting the nod from Steam is good news for an indie title. And so is now the case for the lovely Recettear: An Item Shop’s Tale – the translation of a gloriously bonkers Japanese game about playing as the owner of an RPG loot store. Translators/re-publishers Carpe Fulgur had previously secured an Impulse release but struggled to attract other attention. Yesterday they confirmed the golden handshake from both Steam and the august GamersGate. Both are also offering 10% off preorders. You’ve done the Right Thing, men. Details and videos and quotes and a made-up word are below.

“We are happy – almost to the point of delirium, really – to be on Steam,” said Andrew Dice from Carpe Fulgur (who we interviewed here). “This is the first time an independently-made game from Japan has appeared on the Steam service. This will allow the game to reach an audience of millions that otherwise would’ve been closed to it, and we have high hopes that Steam users will enjoy the game for the unique gem that it is.”

It arrives on September 10, and the Steam and GG versions are currently teasing you with a glimpse of Recettear’s roleplaying/management knickers in the form of a 10% pre-order discount. It’s $20/£13 usually, but $18/£11.69 with the money-offiness.

Also, I’ve just been sent review code, so expect a hearty syllabroth about it soon.

If you can’t be bothered to play the demo, someone’s done a walkthrough on YouTube. First couple of parts below, and the rest are here.

, .

1. Dominic White says:

The game is currently already at #4 on their ‘top sellers’ list. To put this into context, at #5 is Civ 5, and #3 is Bad Company 2.

I do think that this might make a bit of money.

• user@example.com says:

Anyway, capitalism ho! Preordered this the second I heard it was on Steam (and at a discount!) – I was already going to buy it, but couldn’t give anyone my money for it.

• Dominic White says:

“Apparently the list is based on revenue, not sales, so if the game’s cheaper it has to sell more to get up the list.”

If that’s the case, then it’s currently selling more than double what Civ 5 is.

• user@example.com says:

Not #4 any more.

• JKjoker says:

good for them, they deserve every cent, i hope they are successful and keep translating awesome little games like this one, that demo was 10 times more fun than Mafia II and K&L2 (i probably got more playtime out of it too)

• Dominic White says:

Recettear is just part of the ‘Sisters’ series that EasyGameStation have made/are working on. Their previous game, Chantelise, is more of a straightforward third-person action RPG, but I’ve heard it’s really fun and I hope it’s next on the cards for translation.

• ghargol says:

Note how Kane and Lynch is already out of the top sellers list.

I can’t believe they pissed about with so much stuff, yet failed to get the core shooting bit right.

• Face says:

Chantelise has already been translated, or at least that’s what I’ve been lead to believe.

2. CrowPath says:

Excellent news. Now buying.

3. int says:

People love them magna characters.

• pkt-zer0 says:

I don’t, Recettear’s art style in particular annoys me quite a bit.

I still like the game, though.

• Wulf says:

I absolutely adore the art style, it reminds me of a time when games weren’t afraid to be colourful and vibrant. It’s like many games are terrified of this these days, out of the fear that someone will point at them and scream “OMG GAY!!!” Gamers are idiots, sorry. And this is why Transformers: War for Cybertron suffered. >8C I am still very angry about that, T:WfC was good, but it could’ve been 100,000 times better had it looked and sounded animated.

My only lament over Recettear is a personal one; that it looks this good and it doesn’t have a Volg/Zylo-style Japanese werewolf guy in it as a dungeon-exploring hero. Oh well, c’est la vie, but even without that it’s still one of the better games I’ve played in a while, and one of the better looking games I’ve played, too. I’m happy when games aren’t afraid to look vibrant. I mean, vibrant doesn’t have to mean a complete lack of artistic talent like some developers I could mention, and one of the reasons I like Guild Wars 2 is because it looks so colourful and vibrant, sooo… yes, I’m happy about things like this.

I think we need more like this, not less. And really, the anime style doesn’t bother me at all, better to have something that has vibrancy and a bit of character than another game that looks dead on both the inside and the outside.

• Xercies says:

Oh no not a different art style from another culture. Quick hide! i can only come out when its boring western art style.

• DoucheMullet says:

Oh yeah, because Western Art is so boring and unoriginal. It isn’t like every artist in Japan copies the same damn art style from each other…

• Philip L says:

Yeah, especially that Magna Carta, what a character!

• pipman3000 says:

in the future we will look back on the grey and brown games we made back then and laugh at how the world looks just like them now because we polluted it to hell and back and are now dying from a million different types of cancer.

4. MaXimillion says:

Only cost me 13,49€ (14,99€ without discount) in Finland

• Carra says:

Yeah, i’m glad to see it at €13.50 and not €20. I’ll try the demo, looks like my kind of game.

5. Premium User Badge Lars Westergren says:

This is already making them tidy profit judging by how it shot up the charts. Now we only need to a major JRPG to flop massively on consoles, then we PC gamers can up our smugness level to dizzying new heights!

6. K. says:

This finally made me give in and register to steam.

Please be gentle…

7. NukeLord says:

Capitalism, ho! Great news :)

8. Torgen says:

Hot damn! Great news to wake up to! (I’m a filthy colonial.)

“Capitalism, ho!” indeed!

9. Jim9137 says:

I’m conflicted. I want to support the indie guys, but on the other and, I also hate supporting the big guys.

TEH PAINzzz of having an excellent, somewhat reliable service at a fingertip to which none can rival. it’s a bit like selling your s oul to the devil. damn you valve.

• Dominic White says:

You can get the game from any of the major distributors, aside from possibly Direct2Drive.

Gamersgate is the one most likely to have a simple, direct-download, no-DRM style. Steam is more likely to get achievement support added later. Make your choice.

• Jim9137 says:

I was under the impression Gamersgate was US only. Though admittedly, I’ve ever tried to use Steam/Impulse/gog.com for variety reasons.

• Dominic White says:

Gamersgate is primarily european – they even kinda specialize in niche Russian games. You should be able to buy from them from anywhere in the world, so long as you’ve got a paypal account.

• MadTinkerer says:

On the bright side, you don’t have to sell your soul for just Recettear. There’s lots of other indie games on Steam as well. Come to the Dark Side…

• Jim9137 says:

I was one of those weird people who aren’t very much into indie most of the time, but still spent most of my money in them. Like the humble indie pack, or /that/ thing (with story pixel genitalia), and then the blue thing. So steam has nothing on me, ha!… anyhow, Gamersgate looks interesting, I have to investigate it further. thanks!

10. fearian says:

Capitalism HO!

This news made my day!

11. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

So Steam isn’t evil after all, just lazy?

• Collic says:

Meh, steam was never evil. Successful doesn’t always mean evil. I do realise you were probably joking of course :)

12. Iain Galloway says:

Capitalism ho!

PS: your captchas are too hard…

13. Jhoosier says:

Can’t buy it from Japan. I’m going to cry.

• Premium User Badge Lars Westergren says:

Not at ANY of the digital distribution sites?

• Cutman says:

Buy the original?

• user@example.com says:

Some people live in Japan for various reasons but either aren’t fluent enough to play games or would prefer to play games in English.

• Dominic White says:

Well, you should be able to get it from Gamersgate – they’re pretty solidly international.

• bansama says:

You cannot buy this game from Japan via any digital distributor. This is because Carpe Fulgur specifically excluded Japan as a distribution region. You can only purchase the game via EasyGameStation. When they were asked about distribution via GamersGate, they replied that they don’t know how to negotiate a deal. They also don’t appear to know how to sell the English language version in Japan and are instead redirecting people to Carpe Fulgur who are redirecting back to EGS.

Also, to reply to a related comment:

Do you have proof from Carpe Fulgur that they are doing this? I have an email response from them that clearly states they have no intention of doing any such thing as their agreement specifically prevents it. In fact their advice for anyone who wants the game from Japan is to either buy the Japanese version from EGS or to try and have it gifted from someone in any other region.

In short, it’s turning out to be a rather annoying situation. But one that is all too familiar for people in Japan.

14. Wulf says:

So pleased for them, I really am. I had so much fun with the demo and I both admire and respect what Carpe Fulgur are doing. With the way that most Asian games seem to have dropped off the planet lately (not that they’re not being made, but just not being translated, since the Western audience seems to like their games coated only in shades of grey and brown), it’s actually a joy to see something like this pop up. It’s even better that it’s being released for the PC.

Suffice it to say, I’m buying this as soon as I navigate away from this page. That’s no surprise, though. :p But really, support these people, it might actually bring some bloody colour back into our games. If anyone has witnessed my malaise lately, it’s that PC games have become so incredibly boring, and brown, and grey, and meh. You only have to look over most news posts of RPS recently to realise that this is the case. But here and there we’re seeing colour creep back in.

BUY THE COLOURFUL GAMES! >8C Let vibrancy thrive again!

15. TCM says:

Capitalism ho!

This has been a Day 1 purchase for me ever since I played the demo, but man it’s amazing to find out how much it’s gotten in terms of popularity now.

(I saw the demo, then the preorder, spread through my friends list like a DELICIOUS VIRUS)

• Vague-rant says:

Yeh, it has gotten amazing popular amazingly fast. I wonder how much of that is down to RPS. Anyone else hear about it from somewhere else first?

• user@example.com says:

The SA thread. :V

16. Freud says:

That kind of art style is like someone sticking forks in my eyes. I think it comes from waking up with a hangover on Sunday morning, thinking it would be a good idea to take it easy in front of the television, only to be assaulted by crap like Sailor Moon. The Pavlovian effect is unavoidable.

• Dominic White says:

[Please be more restrained in your comments, Dominic - RPS]

• Tacroy says:

If that art style sticks forks in your eyes, maybe it’s because your eyes have become adjusted to the omnipresent brown and gray and ultra-gritty realism of most modern games?

Tip: if your eyes hurt when you go outside, that doesn’t mean the sun is bad – it just means you need a bit of time to adjust.

• Freud says:

“Stop being such a big baby and at least play the demo.”

I watched the video and it simply doesn’t look all that interesting (haggling for price I did in Capitalism in 1995 and the fights look horrible). I think some of you are falling in love with the cleverness of the idea of running an RPG item shop. I bet when you heard the sound effect of the flicking page to read another two sentences 1000 times, it will not be as cute as you currently think.

Anyway, each to their own.

• Robert says:

“I think some of you are falling in love with the cleverness of the idea of running an RPG item shop.”

This is a big part of it yes. Can’t help it though, as I’m buying it regardless of the lack of “high-culture” motives.

• Wulf says:

FWIW, Dominic seems to be suffering from the same irritations about gaming that I am. So if he had any kind of outburst it’s probably that there is a faction of gamers who want to gaming to remain a never ending sludge-trail of brown-grey/gritty/mature shooters with some RPG elements (or just plain old gritty RPGs), which I personally don’t find fun.

I think for some people, like me, yes, it’s kind of unimaginable to want that. It’s like actually making the choice to live in a run down factory that’s dripping with slime, versus some colourful world of novelty and wonder. It’s just baffling, and for the longest time it was the vast majority of what gaming had to offer. It even made Sci-Fi and fantasy boring for crying out loud! RPGs and strategy games have turned to this gritty look that’s just… blargh.

I don’t know, I play games for escapism, involvement, and fun. I wonder what others play them for.

And it’s like us gamers went from living in an opulent paradise of incredible things to the gutters and slums of an overbuilt, messy, polluted metropolitan city. Some people find this a good change. Me? I just dun get it, I don’t get the appeal.

This might be true, BUT

FIGHT!

Clever RPG item shop game with charming graphics and a decidedly witty and well-written plot!

VERSUS

Another bloody shooter with a ridiculous action movie premise, pretending to be something different but not really. Why not really? Because shut up.

VERSUS

Yet another dull strategy game with muted colours and a thin, poorly translated plot.

VERSUS

An action adventure game where the mechanics are so singular and lacking in diversity that there’s no real action or adventure happening, just a lot of third person violence.

My money’s on the first fighter for the victory. :p

Example: I mean, strategy games… King’s Bounty: The Legend is awesome, why can’t they all be like that? Alec was lamenting with Crossworlds about how the weirdness was being traded off to try and make the game more serious. Were they afraid that the tiny minds of gamers couldn’t handle it?

And so on.

No, Recettear isn’t perfect, but perfection is a misnomer anyway. What it is is a little bit good, a little bit original, and a little bit just colourful and good. I want more of that.

• Wulf says:

Er, a little bit colourful and fun, rather.

And it is, it really is. If you play it, it is. And I have played and loved the demo.

• Wulf says:

gaoihgewogeijgoie2g0hgasdjgoiakgvnvzl

*twitches.*

The Matrix film was right.

People can’t handle uniqueness, fun, originality, and novelty, they can’t handle paradise and beauty, they find these alienating concepts that they can’t relate to. They’d rather live in pigshit, surrounded by decay and entropy, where everything is boring and easy to understand. They don’t want to be challenged, anything that does that is scary.

*twitches more, about faces, and wanders off muttering to himself.*

• Freud says:

I have no problem with Recrettear being available on Steam. I think it is great. Hopefully they make a tidy profit and are able to translate more Japanese games. That increases the chance of me finding a eastern game that has gameplay that I am attracted to.

17. jgtg32a says:

Hopefully this’ll mean that we’ll be getting more JRPGs onto the PC. Lack of JRPGs is my biggest complaint about PC gaming.

• Wulf says:

Actually, a lack of Japanese games is a complaint of mine, period. Except for the handhelds they’re largely ignored, and the Ace Attorney series is all the proof I need that there are wonderful things going on in Japan that can be tapped with the right translation group. Ace Attorney Investigations was one of the best adventure games I’ve ever played, and is right up there with the LucasArts classics in just about every conceivable way.

To be honest, I really miss them. Microsoft and their bloody ecksbaucks console (I have nothing against the PS3 or anything else), and then later their 360, seemed to do something to gaming in general, made it less interesting, less inventive, and not only on consoles but on the PC. If anything killed gaming for me, it’s the bloody ecksbaucks and how gaming went from that time to colourful, imaginative, humorous things to dead, dead, dead, grey and brown things.

I may like your OS, Microsoft, but I hate your console with a passion! >8C

It seems that colour, fun, and decent storylines that don’t read like an action movie are fighting for their place in gaming again though, recently, but I want to see more of that. And that’s exactly what a responsible gamer should be supporting, be it from the Western or Eastern world. More things like this, and Guild Wars 2, and Ace Attorney, and the fun things the indie scene has been pumping out might just actually reverse my jadedness about the state gaming is in.

And I will continue on my crusade for colour, fun, diversity, variation, and decent storylines in games! Just as I’ll praise and support any game which actually seems to uphold these tenets.

• Tacroy says:

In my opinion, it’s because the ecsbaux (and especially Halo) demonstrated that the frat boy market is a valid target for games. I mean, Halo didn’t do anything new – it just introduced the concept of first-person shooters to people who had never seen them before. The plot was okay, the gameplay was reasonable – the game itself was, well, just plain mild.

Yet people loved it, the same way I loved Piers Anthony’s Xanth series – they’d never seen something like it, so their first introduction was amazing. Those of us who’d been playing Tribes and Deus Ex and all those other games just said psh, you guys ain’t seen nothing yet.

Think about it though: Halo was introduced in 2001. In 2003, EA started their thus-far perpetual Madden cycle – yet another series that targets the frat boy market.

In much the same way that Nintendo demonstrated with the ueii that games could be profitably targeted at the casual market, Halo and the echsbausch demonstrated that games could be profitably targeted at the frat boy market.

Frat boys are very much against silly colors and pastels, so the brightest things we get in games nowadays are blood splatters and the green of a handegg field. It’s really a sad time, when we can’t even be silly in games.

18. Tacroy says:

My only problem is that, after reading a translation I found online (the demo wasn’t clear on the way some things worked so I was looking for other documentation) it seems like the game’s total length is about two or three times that of the demo; since I beat the demo in few short (but very sweet) hours, I’m not sure I can justify $20 (or $18 right now) for this game. I think I’ll buy it once the price drops below $14.99.

• user@example.com says:

The devs claim 15-20 hours – there’s a lot more per-week after the first week, and there’s significant content after the five weeks including, apparently, a whole new story arc. Once you’re finished with that there’s a survival mode where the payments keep on increasing to arbitrarily high levels, which you can play with the merchant level you’ve gained from the main game… or starting over at level 1. Ouch. And then you fail and end up living in a box. ;_;

But even if it was 10 hours… $18 for 10 hours is not that bad a price.

• user@example.com says:

I don’t mean “devs” there, I mean the translators, Fish Lightning.

• Chris D says:

I’ve spent easily more than ten hours just replaying the demo. I don’t think getting value for money is going to be a problem.

• Tacroy says:

I dunno, I guess I just have a hard time buying any games for ~$20 – it was a struggle to convince myself to buy Dragon Age and Just Cause 2 when they were at $25.

19. Hitomi says:

It’s lovely to see this game getting attention from the big distributors in the US, but it’s also a shame that the localiser/publisher is so hell bent on not sharing that success with the original developers who haven’t been able to negotiate the same deals for distribution in Japan. That leaves a slightly sour taste in my mouth.

• Dominic White says:

The english translators/distributors are just two guys who are about as close to amateur as you can get. Given that the original developers are getting the lions share of profits from sales here, and the game came out in Japan *three years ago* through their more traditional channels (it was a hit at Comiket), I don’t think EGS are getting the short end of the stick here.

• Hitomi says:

Comiket is not a long lasting measure of success. It’s a 3 day or 2 day event depending on the time of year, with each day being dedicated to specific areas. So EGS would not have the full time to make sales. Also, they will have very limited stock per 1 or 2 days a year they could likely sell the game in this way. Perhaps no more than 200 copies per day. Probably a lot less.

The only real channel you can purchase their game through, is their own site. That does not get them a huge amount of exposure. These amatuers, as you call them, however, are now cashing in on EGS’ work without even giving a moment to help them better sell in their own country — even though EGS have said they would like (and need) this help. And that just reeks something rotten to me.

• Dominic White says:

I think you’re stretching to find a ‘villain’ here. I just read on the SA forums that the CF guys are trying to set up an agreement between Steam Japan and EGS at the moment. Given that these are two incredibly humble guys who basically translated a game and then went around begging distributors to carry it, I don’t think you can ask for much more.

• user@example.com says:

You’re right, Hitomi. I shall cancel my preorder immediately and as of now I retract every positive thing I have said about these terrible excuses for human beings.

Seriously, what the hell Hitomi?

• MWoody says:

@Hitomi: I’ve read your posts three times now, and I still can’t fathom how you could somehow hold the translators at fault for making the original devs tremendous amounts of money. Am I missing something?

20. NeonBlackJack says:

Wow, I really wish this was playable on Mac, too. Looks really enjoyable. Clever concept. Why did I sell my PC!?!

• stahlwerk says:

Why? For shiny shiny OS X, of course! ;-)

Honestly I’m a bit miffed about lack of OS X, too. The minimum requirements are firmly within reach of most of the Core 2 Duo Macs. But, as they say, porting is hell if you didn’t plan for it from the start.

If you have 30-40 gig to spare and a left-over Windows license lying around, may I suggest Bootcamping?

21. Quirk says:

There’s a lesson in here about demos… if you’re a developer, and you have a good game, not putting together a demo is a bone-headed mistake. Recettear’s demo has made word of mouth do the work of a mighty marketing campaign.

And yes, I’m buying it too. Of course.

22. Mereli says:

YESSSS, This means I can actually get the game!
    It’s great to see that this game is getting even more attention, they deserve it for the great translation they have done. Hopefully we’ll be seeing more of these type of games in the future.

23. HarbourMaster says:

Gaah. Somehow this one has not plugged into my brain properly. There is a Mexican wave of love for this game, across the entire Möbius length of the internet and I’m not on it.

Maybe it’s just because I haven’t played a JRPG for a long time (Soleil/Ragnacenty was my last wouldja believe it). But during the demo it seemed like I was endlessly clicking through dialogue… and I had enough after about 20 minutes.

Bah, humbug. I never intended to be the Scrooge of the web. Where’s Tiny Tim?

• Dominic White says:

If you’d probably gone another five minutes, you’d be running around a dungeon and blatting monsters, but apparently the attention span of gamers these days is miniscule.

• HarbourMaster says:

Ah now, Dominic, I would have been quite happy with the first half of your paragraph which was enlightening but then you had to go spoil it with the second half.

Attention span and lack of time are two entirely different things and they are easily confused, which is why I wrote this. I knew I was missing something but I wasn’t convinced I wanted to spend any more time on it – the game hadn’t appealed to me by the time I put it down.

• TCM says:

That was a run-on sentence, not a paragraph.

Attention, pay it, etc.

• HarbourMaster says:

My life has been enhanced this day.

24. cfrey says:

The demo was ok, but the price is pretty bad in my opinion. The game would be a very easy buy if it was in the 5-10 dollar range, but when I’m paying 20 bucks+ I expect more from a game, and this game falls below my expectations for that price range.

Still, with steam sales and what not, it should shove it under an acceptable range eventually.

25. MWoody says:

It’s sort of bizarre to read the comments here calling the art style “unique” when my primary complaint is that it looks like literally thousands of other similar crap. Don’t get me wrong, the game itself is fun, if the demo is to be believed. I’ll almost certainly pick up the full game. But if you’re operating under the mistaken impression that the drawings are some sort of new, strange, and wondrous thing of color and beauty… well, let me introduce you to Japan and JRPGs, where the eyes are big, the women underaged, and 90% of the content produced looks like it features big-eyed aliens dressed up as people.

Put simply: it might be different than what you’re used to, but calling the art “original” is a massive misrepresentation.

• pipman3000 says:

we western gamers are so used to grey and brown with a little green here and there that it’s reached the point where anything different from that is considered unique. when you’ve been eating nothing but bland food something with even a little flavour is going to blow your mind wide open.

• MWoody says:

I’ll echo the other posters commenting on this issue: wtf does color have to do with anything? It’s the stereotypical anime/manga stylings I resent, along with the tired, untrue implication that all Western games are gray and brown.

26. solipsistnation says:

I am gonna buy that thing tonight. TODAY. SOON!

The demo was loads of fun, and it’s a nice approach to the RPG thingy.

27. Aganazer says:

So from what I am reading, anyone that doesn’t like the art style has some unnatural aversion to colors. Um… okay… I don’t get it. This doesn’t look particularly colorful, at least not after playing Worms, Plants vs Zombies, Aquaria, or any superhero game. So nope its not the colors, but what is it about it that makes me want to claw the eyes out of my head?

I think its the clueless girl. Her head is to big. Her voice too squeeky. Her theme music too cheesy. The dialog is horrible and detracts from the whole thing. There might be a cool game buried under all that, but I’ll be damned if I can wade through the rest to get to it.

• mlaskus says:

I wanted to write pretty much the same thing. I dislike the art style, not the colours. I have played plenty of colourful, western games lately. Also, implying that people who can’t stand anime are homophobes, xenophobes, idiots, frat boys, etc. is pretty offensive.

• Hyudra says:

I think it boils down to a kneejerk reaction to kneejerk reactions. I don’t know that it’s aimed at you in particular.

Personally, I can get that not all people find appeal in the same aesthetics. That’s fair. Aganazer’s comment that s/he can’t manage to immerse his/herself into the game or get into the game’s rhythm is perfectly fair.

But speaking as an equal opportunity nerd, I can’t help but feel that people who dismiss anime style with “It all looks the same” or “It’s all sailor moon and Dragonball Z crap” are really missing out. There’s gems out there in gaming, comics (manga) and television (anime) that people are really missing out on absolute gems, like Spice and Wolf, Bokurano, Kare Kano, Detroit Metal City, Franken Fran and Recettear. All of the works I just listed are very different in style, intent and tone. The same argument goes for western animation and comics (Say, the Avatar TV show, the Lucifer comic series, Courtney Crumrin’s books), to the anime adherents & weeaboos.

When the people above are talking about how some people just get scared away by the colorful nature of the game, I take it to mean they’re referring to those who took one look at the images and never tried it, or those who started up the game with prejudices already set against it. Innumerable people found themselves surprised, but there’s definitely something sad and shallow about those who rejected it without really considering it.

• pipman3000 says:

some people mistake their inability to tell the difference between things of the same genre as those things being all the same.

also knee jerk reaction to anything more foreign then eastern europe

don’t hate japan because white otakus ruined it :\

• mlaskus says:

pipman, I shouldn’t even gratify you with a response. You are an ignorant. Your baseless assumptions about people you disagree with are completely out of place. Your comment was hardly even on topic and it didn’t refer to anything I or Aganazer have written.

• MWoody says:

“saying that all anime is like sailor moon and dragon ball z is like saying all rap is about slapping hoes and being a gangsta.”

In this case, a more appropriate analogy would be someone else saying “gosh, this new song is about slapping hoes and being gangsta, that’s so much more original and unique than the country music I usually listen to. How fresh and inventive!” And then everyone points out that no, that’s hardly a strange thing, and that while it’s fine to like said song on its own merits, don’t call it “new” and expect us not to comment.

28. Torgen says:

actually, the translated dialogue is one of my favorite things, especially the way the Foreclosure Fairy seems to know how campy most of the stuff going on is.

“Well, Adam Smith would be proud of you.”

29. BowShoushi7 says:

Ahaha I truthfully don’t think my “casual playthrough” was much of a “walkthrough” but more of a sample of the extreme basics =S . . . but thanks for putting it up anyways

Art-style comment : Doujin quality, but it’s smooth and really good for it’s kind in my opinion.

From what I’ve continued to learn as I replayed the demo a few times, the fighting becomes more interesting as you unlock more skills and characters who all fight differently. Plus the story is something rather enjoyable, well… then again… for peoples who actually care about it. If you hate turning through pages of dialogue then it has a skip-dialogue feature, especially if your replaying and you remember what happened already.

30. Premium User Badge jaheira says:

Worst. Music. Ever.

31. Soobe says:

Just pre-ordered on Steam. : )

32. ketsugi says:

Hey, shoot me an email at spamtastic [at] ketsugi [dot] com. If you’re still having trouble getting it I can gift it to you on Steam and you can Paypal me the money.

33. ketsugi says:

34. Fred Wester, CEO of Paradox says:

This game is a little gem, i wish them luck.

Anyway, i need to go – shave my legs.
    Wish me luck.

35. Guildenstern says:

Umm *points at consoles*

36. Guildenstern says:

Reply fail again!

37. Dominic White says:

Okay, just got word that the game might be a lot longer than anticipated. There are 6 dungeons. The first one is 5 floors. Second, 15. Third, 30. Fourth, 50, Fifth is 100 floors. And there’s a secret one on top of that.

Bosses/tileset changes every five floors. That’s a lot of randomly generated dungeon crawling.

38. Dlarit says:

RPS recommends + I just played the Demo = Preordered on Steam!

39. Anon says:

CTRL+F Weaboo
    No results
    I’m not angry RPS, I’m just disappointed

40. Saiko Kila says:

This time I’m going to try Gamersgate. I wish I bought their version of King’s Bounty, then I’d be able to purchase the expansion earlier and probably for a better price. Also, if there’s no difference in prices between GG and Steam then DRM-free version is the way to go.

41. Nantres says:

Just pre-ordered on a Steam. From the demo it seems to be a pretty clever little game with about the right difficulty. The translation and localization are well done, though an option for the original Japanese would’ve been nice.

Looking forward to more games like it on Steam.

42. TD912 says:

Well, look on the homepage of RPS if you want. More than half of the games are a mix of war/sci-fi/dark/shooter.