Stargategate?

By Kieron Gillen on September 1st, 2010 at 10:45 am.

Harvb points at Ten Ton Hammer picking up on the Courthouse News reporting that Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment shareholders filling a suit for – deep breath – Declaratory Judgment, Fraudulent Transfer, Breach of Contract, Aiding and Abetting a Tort (Breach of Fiduciary Duties and Fraudulent Transfer), Civil Conspiracy, Unjust Enrichment, Tortious lnterference and Injunctive Relief against against Dark Comet Games, Fresh Start Studios and associated individuals. It’s worth reading Ten ton hammer’s full write-up, but the core is the allegations that the shooter Stargate Resistance was transferred from CME to Fresh Start Studios for a mere $100K without court or board approval, leaving CME in receivership with no source of income – and this is after Fresh-Start allegedly tried to remove all assets from CME on February 12th and had to be stopped by the police. You can see the full complaint here if you want to pick over it.

Meanwhile, RPS wonders whether we’re the first people to call it Stargategate. Google seems to say yes. RPS is, once again, first to the most obvious gags.

, , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. LewieP says:

I actually refereed to it as Stargategate the other day (although not on the internet).

You’ll be hearing from my lawyer.

Stargategategate.

2. Anthony says:

One day someone’s going to call something “-gate” and then get called out for it not being a “-gate” worthy event.

That’s when we get “Gategate” and the universe implodes.

3. jeremypeel says:

International Law dictates that no-one is allowed to lay claim to the coining of a ‘-gate’ term.

The first use has to be worded as such: “…in a shocking event commentators have been referring to as Stargategate.”

In doing so a first-party coiner is created and the whole issue of coining is averted, along with further lawsuit complications. It’s just how we do things around here.

4. Tei says:

I think the entrepreneur here collected the money needed to make a MMO (the million of dollars) from a lot of small bussines…. in Salt Lake City? Home of the mormons?
    That something got released make things more confusing. Releasing something is a real achievement. You can’t say this entrepreneur is a lier or a moron, he probably is into something, even if thats mean another “Galaxy Crash”.

Friends don’t lets friends invest in MMO proyects.

• Tei says:

postdata:
      I know creating a planet from scratch can be cheaper than create a MMO. I don’t mean with this that everyone that tried to get rich with this is a moron. “Average inteligence” is a average, wen most people agree in something stupid, it stop being stupid, because is the decission of the “more than average intelligent” people. You can only say is stupid, if you can take a time machine, before the decision was made,and write in a forum “Writting another WoW-clone is a stupid idea, and will only end in tears”. Something that I have done more than once (use google).

5. H says:

*gasp* My name in lights! (Well, text.)

I hate that this has become such a sour situation. It’s sullied a great TV show. Well I liked it. In an industry you’d think would be struggling to make a good impression when money is tight, you get cretins like this ripping people off. Allegedly.

• MajorManiac says:

For me it was the characters that held the show together.

6. Chris D says:

No discussion of this topic would be complete without this . Relevant clip is at 2:35.

tomeoftom says:

A tip! add #t=XmYs to the end of a youtube link to automatically play from X minutes, Y seconds.

• Chris D says:

My internet skills are weak. I have brought much shame upon myself. Thanks for the tip though.

• Jhoosier says:

I’m happy to read this tip too, I didn’t know about it. Unfortunately, I’ll probably forget after 30min.

7. Ovno says:

Oh god why must everything be a -gate, I mean even watergate wasn’t a -gate it was the name of the flipping hotel, not some sort of scandal to do with water….

• Tei says:

Because is useful. If you see “rps-gate” you know is a affair with rps. So the -gate part give you information. The practice is extended enough, so is a “standard by facto” (read: is not a standar) and everyone know what you mean with it.

The only real way to fight it, is to ridiculize it, to expose how ridiculous is. But maybe is not ridiculous.

Richard Beer says:

It’s definitely ridiculous. It’s just lazy journalism! Not on Kieron’s part, mind; he’s just using it in a satirical way. But seriously, main-stream media, stop with the catchphrases. We’re not idiots!

• Ovno says:

Indeed but the same effect could be achieved with the addition of ‘scandal’ not -gate…

i.e. RPS scandal, which is more accurate as the suffix -gate should if used at all only refer to the exposure of criminal acts.

Even watergate was at the time refered to as ‘The Watergate Scandal’

• Ovno says:

@Richard

Exactly my point and indeed this is not to have a go at the Hivemind, just the buggers who label everything -gate…

I’m sure there have been at least 4 -gates over the summer this year in britain and I’m getting very tired of it….

• SF Legend says:

“I mean even watergate wasn’t a -gate” Sure it was, it was watergategate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdgCEmEZc1U#t=2m35s

8. crooon says:

Clap… clap… clap… *nods slowly*

9. RiptoR says:

Grammar police to the rescue!

1. “recievership” >> “receivership”
    2. “Dark Studio Games” >> “Dark Comet Games”

Sorry, but I couldn’t resist…

10. Yeah says:

Note that declaratory judgment and injunctive relief are forms of relief (i.e., things the court can do to provide the plaintiffs with something to remedy the damages they’ve suffered), while the rest of those things you mentioned are causes of action (i.e., reasons why the plaintiffs have suffered damages). You shouldn’t conflate the two.

11. Navagon says:

Some wonderful people in the games industry…

• bob_d says:

I’m sure there are the same number of sleaze-balls and sociopaths in game development as any business, but also I think a large part of the problem is game developers who end up as managers or working on the financial side of things. They got to their position by being good (or more likely, lucky) game developers, so they often don’t have the skills, do the job badly and fail. Their priorities tend to be a bit screwy, too: the project comes before people (i.e. the employees, investors) and business ethics.

Since their most important asset is their team, they do whatever it takes to keep them, which usually includes not telling them when the company has run out of money and they can’t make payroll. I know of a number of people whose start-up experiences ended with the company owing them the equivalent of months of pay (their first hint that the company had financial issues was only when the paychecks stopped). The companies essentially try to eke out a month or two more life by being (unwittingly) subsidized by their own employees, hoping for a last minute miracle (that never comes, of course).

I know of a number of companies that when they collapsed, the founders started a new company and bought up all the assets (including the game), cheap. That’s pretty new, and perhaps that’s why most of these companies have got away with it. It used to be that failed game assets were worthless (the graphics would be out-dated by the time anyone else could do anything with them, and production costs for the game weren’t high enough to justify trying to salvage a partial game), so the investors didn’t care what happened to them. Now investors are starting to care.

12. RiptoR says:

As with all persons of authority, I love abusing my powers, even if things fall outside of my jurisdiction.

• RiptoR says:

This should have been a reply to my previous post. This reply system is utterly broken, almost never works when I try to use it…

• RiptoR says:

Oh, now it works… sigh…

13. bob_d says:

Serious financial misbehavior was being hinted at by employees of the company well before the company collapsed. This isn’t including the events when the company ran out of money but neglected to tell the employees, not paying them for weeks (until presumably they all quit), while publicly claiming the company was doing fine. Person or persons in positions of control at the company were unethical and probably criminal in pretty much all their dealings, it seems.

14. MadTinkerer says:

So that’d be Stargategategategate then? Or would my suggesting so be Stargategategategategate?

15. DevilSShadoW says:

edge gate

16. The Dark One says:

Stargate, it’s a great big world,
    With a great big swirl and you step inside to another world.

We’re talking Stargate, it’s a crazy trip.
    You can go quite far and you don’t need a car or even a ship.

There’s Colonel O’Neill and Carter and Daniel and Teal’c.
    Look out for that Goa’uld!

17. Narcotic says:

So this thread is fast becoming replygate.

18. battles_atlas says:

From the Ten Ton story: “CME is for all intensive purposes finished”

Surely that should be “all intents and purposes”?

Reminds one of the IT Crowd’s “putting women on a pedal stool” and “damp squid” episode.

19. IWasThere says:

I CAN say that the entrepreneur was a liar and a cheat. I was there. I saw it firsthand. They still owe me money – several thousand in salary.

Cheyenne Mountain was mismanaged by the money guys in some delightfully disgusting ways. It’s a terrible shame because our game had real potential.