Champions Anniversary Free Weekosity

By Kieron Gillen on September 2nd, 2010 at 11:00 am.

Just using the same very silly shot of a game is probably a tribute to what Amiga Power did with Hired Guns. Probably.

It’s been a year since Champions Online went (er) Online. What are Cryptic Studios doing to celebrate? “Re-do an interview with Jim because it didn’t record first time he did it?” you say? No, you’re wrong. That’s just something they’re doing because we’re rubbish. They’re having a free week. How free? “From September 1 (at 10:00 a.m. Pacific) until September 7 (at 10:00 a.m. Pacific), you can play Champions Online absolutely free!” says their website. That’s how free it is. Go and sign up to play from scratch or continue your sadly abandoned Superchaps. Champions Online is a year old! What are we gonna do, Kool & The Gang?

Yes, but also have a lovely little grind.

There’s actually an RPS supergroup which is Rock Paper Spandex. Alas, it’s a bit on the quiet side, but if you fancy a game and a friendly face, you can message @Jaxtrasi.

, , .

1. Snall says:

Well it’s more six days free now…and 4 days for slow connections…

2. Dubbill says:

That screenshot is the best thing about Champions.

3. Dominic White says:

I’ve heard that the game has improved a lot since launch, but really, my interest in the game is very limited.

If they went fully free to play, and made all the more exotic powers and costume sets purchasable, I could see it being a huge hit. Death to the subscription-based business model!

• Coillscath says:

After people just last year shelling out 2 years’ worth of monthly subscriptions in money for a lifetime sub, I think them going free to play would do more harm than good with the backlash from angry players thinking they’ve been conned.

• Dominic White says:

Turbine have migrated two of their MMOs to free-to-play models over the past year, and they’ve not only managed to avoid being firebombed by angry fans, but are now pretty major players on the scene now.

Lifetime Lord of The Rings Online subscribers get lifetime perks, too.

• MWoody says:

As a subscription-based game, they got about three months out of me, not counting the original retail purchase. I blow through these games pretty fast, so that’s impressive.

As a “pay to get the best items” travesty, I’d have not only not played, I’d have badmouthed the game extensively to everyone I otherwise tipped towards purchase. Monetization and gameplay are mortal enemies, and once I’ve created a character, I’d damn well never find their hands reaching for my wallet ever again.

• Dominic White says:

“As a “pay to get the best items” travesty, I’d have not only not played, I’d have badmouthed the game extensively to everyone I otherwise tipped towards purchase.”

That speaks of great personal insecurity more than anything to do with the game. You’d have written it off without even looking at it? How mature of you.

• DrGonzo says:

I don’t really understand this anger that comes against free-to-play. Of course they charge for things, how are they meant to make money otherwise? And people completely misunderstand the word. Free-to-Play actually suggests you will have to pay for things, otherwise it would simply be called free.

• lafinass says:

@DrGonzo

Don’t know about the anger, but I know for myself I dislike micro transactions a great deal. If given the option of a monthly subscription or Free-to-Play with micro transactions I’m going to take the subscription every time. I don’t like the nickle and dime feel of it, I don’t like at every step of the way having to evaluate what is worth spending my money on.

There are two forms of micro transaction setups I will actually play.

1. There is a ‘premium membership’ type subscription option that gets you all the perks of the micro transactions in one lump.

2. There is a dual economy system with a parallel secondary currency that allows you to earn the same perks as paying customers through gameplay. League of Legends comes to mind as a good example. A new champion comes out that I am interested in, I can either fork over a few real life monies and get it immediately or I can earn the secondary currency for it over the course of a few weeks. I’ve seen a few of these types of systems that have worked out well and profitably, most have any gameplay effecting perks purchasable through the secondary currency with cosmetic or convenience perks only available through micro transactions so that paying customers can still be unique from free users.

4. Fred Wester, CEO of Paradox says:

Hi,
    I’m Fred Wester, CEO of Paradox, and I approve of semi-naked dancing robogirls.
    Don’t listen to the horny robopreacher and his anti-robolove chants!
    Human-robot relations are a beautiful thing.

Sincerely,

Fred Wester, CEO of Paradox

5. Brian says:

I only played 2 months at launch because lack of content and stability issues (er, the game, not me. NOT ME!!! no.). I gave it another go the last time there was a free weekend and could tell there had been many improvements made, but alas, like COH, it feels to me like a great combat engine stuck in a game completely devoid of interesting content.

A free week is absolutely worth a try so get started on that 8gb client download right away! As for me, though, I’ll be spending much of my upcoming vacation with the new Age of Conan expansion. Champions Online simply leaves me cold.

• DrGonzo says:

It’s not 8 gbs though. I recently downloaded through Steam. That download was 3 gigs. And it then downloaded a 1 gigish patch. That would probably normally be quite painful. But I recently installed World of Warcraft on two computers so it seemed very easy.

I completely know what you mean about it being devoid though. The combat is very satisfying, the graphics are lovely. It’s even quite funny in places. But there is nothing there that makes it feel like a living world. Such a shame.

6. Tei says:

I hate that stupid movie of a western robots city, but In a game context is all types of awesome. Hell… the nice touch of the conspiration and multiple robots factions just hidden below the surface make it epic.

I hope Secret World steal this idea, and put a (I don’t know) a undeground robot city, with multiple factions, treachery, lies.

• DrGonzo says:

You don’t like Westworld? Then you sir are an idiot. It is a brilliant film, combining our two greatest loves. Cowboys and Robots. What more could you want?

7. Adrian says:

why always the same screenshot? why

• CMaster says:

Oddly, the screenshot always makes me think of Bioshock actually, the fort pleasure bit or whatever it was called.

8. Jaxtrasi says: