Dukes Might Fly

By Alec Meer on September 2nd, 2010 at 8:22 pm.

here to kick ass and be developed by someone else

3D Realms’ semi-erstwhile boss George Broussard mysteriously tweeted a picture of the above earlier. In other news, he once said Duke Nukem Forever would be complete “when pigs fly.” In other other news, strong rumour continues to mount that Gearbox have picked up of the broken bits of Duke Nukem Forever and may reveal that they’ve put them back together again at PAX. Lummee.

Winged porcine squadron, launch!

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. ZIGS says:

Always bet on Duke

2. Batolemaeus says:

It won’t die, will it?

3. dethtoll says:

I can’t decide whether to laugh uproariously or maintain some faint, faint hope that Gearbox actually pulls through, for I cannot think of a better company to pick up the reins.

• StingingVelvet says:

Gearbox is indeed a good fit and I certainly wouldn’t mind this eventually coming out. If it looks and plays like a 5 year old game it should be a reduced price release though.

• LionsPhil says:

If it looks and plays like a five-year-old game I’ll be happy. That’d hopefully put it before shouldercams and sticky cover systems.

Yeah. I hope Gearbox can salvage this. Even if it’s terrible, it’d be nice to see all that work come to something concrete rather than just sinking into the fetid swamp of an archive on studio’s fileserver somewhere that eventually ends up liquidated and wiped.

4. Brumisator says:

Choo chooo! all aboard the hype train to disapointment-ville!

5. Batolemaeus says:

Ten years from now, Gearbox will die, having spent too much on making the Duke sequel. There will be rumours Valve took over the remains.

6. Sweedums says:

meh, why won’t it just leave this world forever and ever and ever and ever….

i dont remember any of the duke games being THAT good in the first place anyway… but maybe thats just me.

7. stahlwerk says:

Maybe the game was finished (or in late beta) when it was announced cancelled, and they played a practical joke on our expectations. *dons tinfoil hat, shakes fist towards ye heavens*

8. James Brophy says:

DUUUUUKE!

I cant believe I’m excited about duke Nukem again. I know intellectually it’s ever going to include the thing that made me play it far longer then all id games combined but still I’m excited.

There will never be another map editor as awesome or an asset set so wonderful as duke nukem 3d’s

9. manintheshack says:

Dear Internet,

Please stop this now.

Kind regards,
    manintheshack

10. M.P. says:

I’m rooting for them too – the game will probably turn out to be nothing special apart from the nice tram ride down nostalgia lane, but for it to simply fizzle out and disappear after 1,200 eons of development would be such a huge anticlimax! I’d rather it were released and was horrible than for it never to see the light of day at all!

• Xercies says:

Actually no, its like the mystery you actually don’t want to be solved. the game we have in our head will always be better then the actual game if its ever released. let it die.

11. Tilla says:

John St John just tweeted that he is on his way to PAX. Meanwhile, Randy Pitchford when asked about the Duke rumors, said he would ‘Further Clarify the Situation’ when he is at PAX. This could be it :O

12. sfox says:

If this does get finished by Gearbox, it would be a kind of bittersweet moment.
    It would mean the end of one of the greatest running gags in video game history and the end of an era.

13. rocketman71 says:

No more news until the game is really released (hah!), please. This is almost worse than that tool Pachter.

14. Kadayi says:

“Duke Nukem Forever is coming. Mortal men may not craft him, gods might not live long enough to play him, the very universe itself may fold under his might, but he will come and there will not be a toilet big enough to park his bricks in”

15. malkav11 says:

I’d prefer it just die. Stay the watchword in vapourware.

16. Gabe says:

Team Fortress 2…. vapourware, vapourware…. RELEASED!
    Prey…. vapourware, vapourware…. RELEASED!
    Duke Nukem Forever…. vapourware, vapourware…. RE…

Good things come in 3′s.

17. Binary Prophet says:

Valve is helping to finish DNForever. It’s one of their three big supprises: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=262521

The second suprise is a huge remake of all three of the hl2 episodes into a single game (which will be awesome), and the third supprise is striders parachuting out of the air.

18. The Dark One says:

Careful, everyone, George is the master of ironic twitter comments.

19. Azazel says:

*staggers backwards loading shells into shotgun with fumbling fingers*

Why… won’t… it… DIE!

20. Navagon says:

I hope Gearbox have had a chance to rewrite it where necessary and haven’t just been left with the task of tying together all the bits 3D Realms have produced over the years. I’m confident that Gearbox can make a stellar Duke game. But only if they’ve been given the opportunity to do so.

21. Urael says:

When it releases, I’m looking forward to the inevitable jokes about how long it takes to get out the first patch…

No, not really. But I do want to play the game. It feels like the culmination of history occurring, a seminal moment in a Gamer’s life. Be sure to imprint where you are the first time you play it, to record the moment for posterity and to have a tale to repeatedly tell your grandchildren.

Comment on this story