Free Love Weekend

By Jim Rossignol on September 2nd, 2010 at 11:12 am.

No, nothing like that. It’s Eskil opening up his minimally-multiplayer shooting and building game, Love, to everyone, just for this coming weekend. Being co-op down to its procedurally generated soul, it’s a game that is best played with chums, so why don’t we get on there and have a RPS love-in on Saturday night, perhaps from about 7pm BST? You can download the client now from here, and it will be automatically free to access any of the servers over the weekend. Useful fan portal for the game over here.

, .

1. Deanb says:

It’s such a shame this game is practically google proof. Maybe he should add a subtitle to amend that?
    I will be giving it a shot though. It’s been looking interesting.
    And a bit of free love never hurt anyone.

2. Baboonanza says:

Freddie Mercury disagrees!

3. airtekh says:

Well, I’ve got no excuse not to try this now. Might get me some love at the weekend.

I agree about the name. Mr. Steenberg might be an actual real-life genius, but he couldn’t have picked a poorer name for his game. I hope it hasn’t hurt his sales.

• tomeoftom says:

I think it’s a great name, aesthetically and publicity-wise. All it needs is a subtitle to render itself internet-unique.

• stahlwerk says:

Why don’t we just pick a subtitle for him?

Love: the lovening.

• Baboonanza says:

Love: The last of the Lovebenders

• Tei says:

I watched “The last mimzy” tonight, It was a awesome movie. It feels very sci-fi, like a Isaac Asimov or Silverberg movie.

So.. what aboud “Love: mandala”.

4. Thiefsie says:

So I imagine this is like mincraft except prettier? Is that at all correct?

• tomeoftom says:

It’s quite different in that it’s combat-centric. Enemy AI cities are procedurally generated for each server life, and you’re in constant war with them for survival/construction tokens.

• Dominic White says:

Yeah, it’s a first-person team-based survival shooter with some management/construction aspects. Kinda like Bizarro Minecraft.

• Clovis says:

Hmm, the enemies in Minecraft just randomly spawn right now. It is FPS combat, but the only shooting is with a bow an arrow. However, Notch is currently working on “Monster villages”, so the way enemies work might change. Enemies might be able to destroy stuff (outside of the creeper explosion) in the future too. So, who knows, maybe Minecraft is slowly going to become more like Love.

I think “first-person team-based survival shooter with some management/construction aspects” is a pretty good description of what Minecraft’s Multiplayer Survival is supposed to be like when finished.

• MWoody says:

And “prettier” is very much in question. I prefer minecraft’s clean-cut graphics by far. Love puts screenshot beauty above actual playability, unfortunately – I had to give it up in beta, as it made my eyes burn. That’s not me exaggerating; I actually was in pain from spending an hour trying to discern the landscape among the noise.

5. Guildenstern says:

I’ve been wondering about how this game is doing. Is there information about number of subscribers anywhere?

6. Brian says:

Been meaning to try this for a while but was dissuaded by the full MMO subscription price. I’m still skeptical but will dig into the free weekend with much anticipation!

7. darthmajor says:

No hidden catch, no strings attached?
    I have absolutely no idea what this should be even though i saw trailers and articles…eager to finally experience this love thing everyone’s talking about.

8. David says:

I’ve wanted to try Love for ages, just never wanted to pay the 10 euros up-front cost. I think he could probably get more sales if he switched over to a Minecraft model (buy the game and play on servers created by other players), rather than the MMO model he has at the moment, as thats the major turn off for me at least, even though this is probably not that feasible given the number of players per server etc.

I’m looking forward to giving it a shot this weekend though!

9. mlaskus says:

Jim I would love to join some RPS chaps on Saturday. Where should our loving group organize itself?

10. Antlia says:

Murphys law has once more been proven. My computer just broke and I can’t find the time to fix it soon enough :(

11. Jetsetlemming says:

I don’t know if the client’s running alright, it has some weird fuzz filter going over the main menu and I could see stuff popping in and out at the sides of the screen when stuff wasn’t up close oscuring distant areas.

• Jetsetlemming says:

obscuring. Eugh, I caught that RIGHT after I clicked the submit button :(

12. Rinox says:

I feel like humming ‘free love on the free love freeway’ now.

13. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Alas, money can’t buy me love.

Seriously, I wouldn’t get Love without there being a free trial or the like. Even then, I’m already swimming in games. I haven’t finished DA:O, yet! Or World of Goo.. or Baldur’s Gate (it’s true, I’m sorry to say)! To name just a few.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Although Love does look rather lovely. And it has one of the more enticing trailers I’ve ever seen.

14. stahlwerk says:

Is Love any fun?

And in the game? Meme Police, nothing to see here, please move along.

• Ignorant Texan says:

Sir, you’ve bested me with your low(high?) punning before. I, for one, shall leave you be.

• DXN says:

DISCLAIMER: I haven’t played Love for a few months. It might have changed since then. I’ll definitely be checking it out again this weekend to see if that’s true.

It’s really hard to say whether Love is “fun”. I played it for two separate one-month periods and… and…

Well, I genuinely enjoyed it. For a while. I really, really wanted to like it and to keep playing it and supporting it because it really is a unique, beautiful, intriguing creation. But I just didn’t find that the game generated enough novelty, enough narrative, enough sense of adventure and creativity and construction to keep me interested in the long term. You’re given a bunch of tools and it *feels* like they have the potential to combine and play off each other to make some really cool, interesting *stuff*, for the players to constantly be discovering new things they can do with them. But in the end, I found that that just never really happened. Each thing can do a thing or two, and once you’re familiar with it, that’s it. Likewise the combat, while quite amusing and different at first, never lives up to the epic, persistent back-and-forth that it feels like it should be. It just becomes a meaningless, random eternal skirmish against the dumb, but immortal AI. Interaction with other players is also quite limited, and occasionally very frustrating as it’s so easy to grief (even unintentionally, as a newbie) and you can’t just stomp off and make your own base: you have to share it with others.

Minecraft is so great because everyone is free to make pretty much anything they can imagine, so when you wander across the landscape, you can come across pretty much any type of thing built for pretty much any type of reason. With Love, even though the procedural generation is hugely impressive and can form some astounding results, in the end you’re still just traipsing around different configurations of the same half-dozen or so AI bases randomly spread across one, more-or-less unchanging world. Even the player bases can only take a fairly limited number of forms due to constrained resources, a limited number of mechanics you can use, and the inevitable AI onslaught that will destroy your base before you can wrestle it into any really interesting shapes. Or *after* you’ve started making something interesting, which is even more annoying.

It’s definitely worth having a look at, even playing for a month or two, but beyond that I just felt like I was building sandcastles right on the waveline and I had better things to do. :/

15. Batolemaeus says:

For a lack of better words:

16. MWoody says:

The download should come with a virus, to teach a valuable lesson about free love.

17. Lucas says:

When I was deciding whether to buy Minecraft (I did), I turned up this:

18. 1nightStand says:

Can any one “sell” me this games in a couple of lines? I have no idea what’s it about.

• 1nightStand says:

game* …

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

You have a world upon which walk other players and npc enemies. Things (tokens) can be found with which to build certain things, the most important being the Monolith. These are limited. Combine these tools to build a base with other players, defending it from enemies.

Um, that’s about right, I think. Love is big on the whole ‘build things together’ thing, I believe.

19. DrGonzo says:

Will I be able to try this with my girlfriend, with her on a netbook? It is a beefy netbook and has an Ion in it.

• Unaco says:

I do remember they had a demo/test client available… i.e. “run this, and if it works, the full game will work”. Actually, looking at the website, I think that is the full client. Is only 42MB download, so nothing too major to download and check.

20. Hank says:

“Asked my daddy when I was thirteen
    Daddy can you tell me what love really means?
    His eyes went glassy, not a word was said
    He poured another beer and his face turned red [...]”

Richard Thompson, “Read about love”

21. Unaco says:

If it was a little earlier than 7pm, I’d have an excuse to sing “Afternoon Delight” throughout the entire event. If nothing else comes up, I’ll probably be there for the Love-Fest.

22. Armyofnone says:

God damn. That’s a real shame. I’ve been waiting for this to happen, but I’ll be at PAX this weekend :(

23. Meatloaf says:

Well thens. I’ll join in, for all sures. I’ve always wanted to try this game, just never really had an incentive. Now what with the RPS-lovin’s, I’ve got one. Hooray Love!

24. lumpi says:

Here’s what a hopeless nerd I am: I didn’t even get the pun before you spelled it out for me.