Great Scott! First Back To The Future Imagery

By Kieron Gillen on September 2nd, 2010 at 9:00 am.

Great Scott! Again!

Courtesy of the PC games powerhouse that is USA Today comes the first solid details of the previously reported Telltale Back To The Future Games. It’s another seasons-worth-of-five-episodes model, apparently done in collaboration of screenwriter of the movies Bob Gale. It has the likenesses of Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd, and Lloyd doing the voice of Doc Brown. It’ll feature the DeLorean, set in Hill Valley and the time-periods included will include 1985. Note the implication. “Includes”. As in, there are others. THERE WILL BE TIME TRAVEL IN THE BACK TO THE FUTURE GAME! High fives all round!

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. LewieP says:

“It’s about time, McFly. A video game based on the Back to the Future movies is in the works.”

I must have imagined playing Back to the future 2 on the master system.

• wm says:

Ah, you did that in the past, see, but now we’re in the future. It’s an alternative timeline, so as far as *they’re* concerned, it never happened.

• El Stevo says:

@wm

So it did had happened, but it doesn’t has happened any more.

• Vinraith says:

@LewieP

You’re not thinking fourth dimensionally!

2. Rich says:

Great scott!

3. Paul says:

This is heavy!

• Rich says:

Weight has nothing to do with it.

• Paul B says:

@Paul – There’s that word again; “heavy”. Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the earth’s gravitational pull?

4. Trollface says:

Those concept sketches make me sad BECAUSE the final game will be in 3D models, and the final models will not look nowhere near as good as those concept sketches :(

• Adrian says:

what concept sketches? I only see one in the title! What im I missing out? TELL ME!!!!

5. robrob says:

Finally, something to make use of my 1.2JW PSU!

• jon_hill987 says:

It is “GW”

In the film Back To The Future the term is pronounced “jiggawatt” in reference to the 1.21 GW of electricity needed to power the fictional Delorean time machine. Though obscure, the “j” sound is still an accepted pronunciation.

• robrob says:

My joke, she is ruined.

• Wildeheart says:

Actually you’re not quite right there. If you watch the special features it’s revealed that they were quite aware of a gigawatt and the term they are using is in fact jiggawatt. It’s a play on the old way of using gibberish words to suggest a number of such size it’s incomprehensible. It’s much the same as using the term “a gazillion dollars”. Jerricho’s joke stands.

• Wildeheart says:

I did of course mean RobRob’s joke stands. That’ll learn me to post comments three different forums at once!

• Matt says:

Actually a jiggawatt is a unit of power approximately equivalent to one Jay-Z.

• Wildeheart says:

Way to rape my joke RPS. Are we ever going to fix replies?

• Wildeheart says:

And then this one works. What a crock

6. Red Avatar says:

I’m worried. I know “Doc” can still do voices but with about MJ Fox? His voice is too recognizable to be replaced. I fear I’ll keep thinking “this isn’t McFly!” all through the game.

• Andy says:

That’s exactly the problem I had with the Wallace&gromitt games, it just wasn’t Peter Sallis.

Ah well, I’ll wait until I hear it before passing judgement.

Looks great though, love the style!

stahlwerk says:

Depending on the progression of his illness (and also his current medication), it might just be too exhausting for MJF to partake in the voice recording sessions. For many sufferers of Parkinson’s disease it takes intensive concentration not to slur, and even then the listener kind of hears the effort. It would be cool if he’d do it anyway, definately, but it would also lead to a lot of clueless kids posting “ROFL guy’z drunk LOL ^_^”.

• Clovis says:

I think there are like a million people who do imitations of MJ Fox. Like if they made a game based on the Cosby Show, it’d hardly be a disaster if Bill Cosby wouldn’t do the voice. It’d be a disaster because it was a game based on the Cosby Show.

But yeah, we’re talking about voice acting in a video game, so it will be a problem.

phlebas says:

The other problem would be that a present-era MJF would just sound too old for the part. I suspect a 50-year-old version of the right actor would sound more wrong than someone closer to the right age.

7. Xercies says:

The art style i don’t like. Marty looks about 12 and Doc Brown looks like he’s a zombie lol.

8. Neal says:

Valve manage it with TF2. These images remind me of the characters from that game somewhat.

9. Fergus says:

That was last year, and you can obviously see the signs of Parkinson’s in his movement and there’s the odd slurring of the words here and there, but his voice seems to be fine for the most part. And he’s been appearing in some American shows lately like Rescue Me and The Good Wife.

Of course, this is more giving me false hope than anything. I think I would explode with excitement if Fox and Lloyd lent their voices to these guys again.

10. Kast says:

Oh, ‘mazin as a mate of mine would say. Any excuse to listen to the Back to the Future theme song is good enough for me. I also vaguely remember an Amiga game of BTTF, particular a Paper-Boy esque side scrolling level where you had to avoid getting bashed by Biff’s car and reach the bunting hanging from the Delorean at the end of the level. These are the stuff my childhood are made from.

Didn’t I hear there was going to be a Back to the Future reboot in the works, with MJF playing Doc Brown?

11. DosFreak says:

Will we have to use our hands to play it? ;)

12. Azazel says:

Michael Douglas is in my sunglasses.

13. JackShandy says:

Telltale are too set in their episodic ways to make a truely perfect time-travel adventure game. They’ll just have a linear puzzle where you have to change one specific thing that they want you to, that will change one specific thing in the future to solve a puzzle.

The ideal back-to-the-future game would be set in a tiny space, but you have access to it across all of time, with everything reacting to your time-travel tinkering to create emergent gameplay puzzles. Alas, I doubt we’ll ever see it…

14. Navagon says:

GO TO corner store
    BUY plutonium

15. Luttman23 says:

Best time travel point and click game ever was Day of the Tentacle, I doubt it will be as good as that. Still worth checking out though, will be interesting to travel to the magical future of 2010 and see all the amazing 3D sharks and hover-boards we’re bound to have…

16. StingingVelvet says:

I wonder what platforms they will eek this one onto… this would surely be a successful one on the console services if they can get it sold on all three. Console blogs are reporting this news as if that is a forgone conclusion, but it isn’t judging by TellTale’s history.

17. roryok says:

2015

18. Fred Wester, CEO of Paradox says:

Right.

19. Unaco says:

Do Not Want!

I’d much rather the people responsible poured their time, money and effort into developing Hover-Boards. Seriously. Hover-Boards.

tomeoftom says:

Whoah. Hover-Boards.

Also, I constantly read your name as Unatco. You needed to know. I’m sorry it had to come out like this.

• ran93r says:

I dusted off my PS2 copy of Airblade not long ago, about as close to hoverboards as we are ever likely to get. Interested in this but I’m with Trollface, the concept art looks awesome, game could easily be a giant turd.

20. LionsPhil says:

Why must Telltale’s hideous, mangling claw touch everything that was once good?

21. Wildheart says:

I got 88 problems but time travel ain’t one

22. Wildeheart says:

I got 88 problems but time travel aint’ one

23. robrob says:

Oh fuck off! Now they’re cross posting from different threads. It’s only a matter of time before they become self aware and soon we’re living in a spambot controlled dystopia where the only clothing are NFL jerseys and Christian Laboutin handbags.

24. Red Avatar says:

I was VERY confused there for a while, thinking he was talking about the art of the game.

25. Sarlix Wester says:

It’s shoes actually, not handbags. Which apparently giving a very narrow sense of living space!

:D

26. Crane says:

We’re in a comments thread, he’s a spambot; he’d rip through us like tinfoil!

27. jon_hill987 says:

It is even more confusing now the post you commented is gone…

28. robrob says:

My comment, she is ruined!

29. Rich says:

Now your post makes absolutely no sense.

30. Rich says:

What’s up with the reply system?

31. Sarlix Wester says:

Someones angered the reply god’s again?

p.s my posts never make sense :-*(

32. MWoody says:

You shouldn’t reply to spam because, when they inevitably delete it, the posting system sets the replies free back into the wilderness, to frolic and play with their other comment friends. And once you set a threaded reply free, it can never be threaded again.

33. wm says:

Time slips.

34. wm says:

That was a reply to Rich’s question, “What’s up with the reply system?”

Jerricho says: