Portal’s Still Alive In Chime

By Jim Rossignol on September 3rd, 2010 at 9:18 am.

So as we previously mentioned Zoe Mode are bringing out their charity-helping puzzle Chime on Steam, and it’s now available to preorder. But they’ve also tuned it to their new target audience, because the additional level on PC is Still Alive, the track from the end of Portal, written by Jonathan Coulton and performed by Ellen McLain. You can see how that works as a puzzle level in a video which I have posted below. Lovely.

, .

1. Brumisator says:

I wonder if we’ll ever get a “pay what you want” model on Steam.

2. mihor_fego says:

No matter how good Chime is, leave Still Alive out of it!

The magic that this song is on Portal can’t be captured like this, out of its context.

• Xercies says:

Yeah exactly i listened to the song before playing Portal and i thought it wasn’t that great. But in the context of the ending of portal its brilliant.

3. Radiant says:

Hey it’s only 3.99? Nice.
    Sold.

4. Brulleks says:

Alexey Pajitnov really should have copyrighted those puzzle pieces.

• iainl says:

Ah, but Tetris has (as the name obviously implied) 4-block shapes. Chime is all 5-blocks.

Bozzley says:

I recommend you stay away from Rock band then, mihor_fego.

• mihor_fego says:

Yes, actually I’ve kept away from both Rock Band and Guitar Hero. I love music too much to play these kind of games where a sound’s wavelength translates into button-mashing.

6. Persus-9 says:

@ Brulleks: Look more closely, those are pentominoes rather than tetrominoes.

7. Brulleks says:

I’m not so sure – there seem to be various different polyominos in the screenshot. And a few squares too.

• Man Raised By Puffins says:

Pretty sure there are only pentominoes, the odd bits are off-cuts from formed “quads”.

8. Pani says:

Usually I can get a good sense of how a game works by watching a video or two but I have to say, Chime absolutely baffles me.

How on earth does it work?

• Man Raised By Puffins says:

A bit like this.

• MarkN says:

From memory, you stamp pieces down to make rectangles – the larger the better. The rectangles add to the music when the time bar passes across them, playing notes and chords depending on their size. When the time bar passes a rectangle it becomes “fixed” and can no longer be added to. On the next pass of the time bar it gets removed, but the background behind it gets painted. The overall goal is to try to paint the entire background before the song runs out.

I thought it worked really well – it’s a really nicely chilled out game.

• iainl says:

In an ideal world, paint the whole screen for a big, fat bonus, sure. But more importantly, keep building new quads to keep your bonus. If you can hit a 25x bonus, you don’t _need_ that extra one from putting a quad in the right place.

9. Pesforozo says:

So is all the music Minimalism? I’m not sure how it would work if not. Looks lovely though.

10. Fraser says:

Aaaagh that blurry-video-fade cut every two seconds is SUPER ANNOYING. And prevents you from getting any sense of what the game is actually like, which is, ironically, relaxing and cerebral.