Tom Clancy’s 1942

By Alec Meer on September 3rd, 2010 at 9:00 pm.

I can’t think of a more charming way to hawk HAWX 2, much as I’d be enormously surprised if the upcoming combat flight simette sequel had anything like the sense of humour of this 8-bit official demake. Or maybe 16-bit. I don’t know. The number doesn’t matter: it’s HAWX re-imagined as a vibrantly silly vertical shmup, replete with power-ups, midi music and implausibly huge boss-planes. As far away from the grey sterneness of the original HAWX as an aeroplane-based game ever could be.

Ratatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatat, etc.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

You should of linked some ratatat…

2. Fred Wester, CEO of Paradox says:

Right.

3. Wolfox says:

@Xercies: you just won an Internet, sir. Cheers.

4. LionsPhil says:

Very much 16-bit in its sensibilities.

Also, hooray for the stupid idea that everything belongs in a web browser, I think I managed to brush the back button on my keyboard just as I picked up a powerup. Sigh.

5. Brumisator says:

meh. It’s a neat marketting ploy, but the demake is bland and boring…wait…it really IS HAWX!

genius!

6. Fraxas says:

browser games are great for a little friday-afternoon at-work goof-off. Installable games are both more of a potential distraction later, and more visible to the IT Overlords.

7. beefyonionsoup says:

If only HAWX was actually this fun.

8. Skurmedel says:

Awesome, reminds me of Raptor.

9. escort bayan says:

thanks a lot admins :)

10. Bret says:

That was fun.

Beat it, which I don’t really manage much in these shooters.

11. dadioflex says:

A million years ago I remember reading about a B52 bombing game in a board/RPG print magazine for the… get this… Commodore Pet. This was before I had a computer, around the time that White Dwarf (the article wasn’t in WD, it was in a US mag – I thought I was debonair sending off my… my.. what the hell was the name for the cash substitutes you could buy at post offices to buy stuff abroad?) was the highlight of my month.

I still remember that article, not the detail but the excitement for computer gaming as a medium. I know that when I read the article I might as well have been reading Science Fiction, the idea that using such an expensive device for something that could be accomplished with card and paper was sheer fantasy.

Comment on this story