Baby We Were Born To Tron: Evolution PAX

By Kieron Gillen on September 6th, 2010 at 1:12 pm.

Daft Punk had had enough

Amongst the PAX footage collated by VG247 is another gameplay clip from the apparently-out-on-Dec 7th Tron Evolution. It’s looking… well, a little like what I’d imagine the early 10s equivalent of late 80s Ocean would have done if given a Tron licence. Sections of action which hark to the key elements of the film’s iconic resonance (Pardon? – Ed) with a bit of platforming thrown in the side. Footage follows…

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Chizu says:

Hmm, I am not completely disgusted!

But then its TRON, and I do not think I could hate anything TRON.
    Looking a little Prince of Persia-y/Free Runny. Which I always enjoy.
    But will it be as good as TRON 2.0. I loved that game :'(

• icupnimpn2 says:

I find myself wanting the player to slow down. The speed seems… off somehow. Not sure I do like PoP-style for this game. The environments are shiny and sufficiently TRONish, yeah. But the PoP hopping and wall-running just doesn’t look right in this venue. Unless the player is Spider-Man in disguise, I have no idea how he is managing to gain hand holds on what look like slick, metallic or plasticine surfaces.

• icupnimpn2 says:

plasticine is probably not the word I was really looking for, in retrospect

• Chris D says:

In fairness, given the game’s setting there’s no real reason why the laws of physics should apply at all.

• JKjoker says:

it looks ok in a Tron of Persia/Tron of War sort of way

when this game was announced i was expecting Tron 3.0, loved the hell out of Tron 2.0 and im kind of sad they threw it away like this for a pop/gow clone

• AlFitz says:

Doesn’t look good does it? It seems a bit manic if compared to Tron 2.0’s more considered and tranquil pace.

Tron 2.0 was my Xmas 03 game, I dont think I’ll be playing this one come the end of the year, shame.

2. faelnor says:

Isn’t that footage months old?

3. Tom O'Bedlam says:

Thats the first pun headline I’ve ever actually groaned aloud at.

4. terry says:

I’m very excited for the soundtrack.

5. Diogo Ribeiro says:

Man, does RPS ever run out of puns? :P

6. BigJonno says:

Hmm, I think I want this game. In fact, I’m pretty sure I do, although it may be the result of overwhelming nostalgia brought on by Kieron mentioning Ocean in a post about Tron.

7. Chris D says:

I thought that was one of the better puns we’ve had of late. I’m still not sure why we want a Tron remake in 2010 though. Games have changed almost beyond recognition and we didn’t even have the internet back then. You can still tell a story set in cyberspace but not the same one you were telling 30 years ago surely.

• Doug F says:

Chris D: I am going to take a stab in the dark and guess that it has something to do with a Tron movie coming out soon too.

• Chris D says:

Sure but I don’t know why we’d want one of those either. I know Holywood likes to milk every intellectual property it can get its hands on but I don’t see why we have to indulge them.

8. W Main says:

It looks fairly platformey and linear to me…

9. Longrat says:

boring

10. Rich says:

All the damage that was going on in that movie just had me wondering what kind of error message it would produce.

“The little man inside your computer performed an illegal operation and is currently being hunted down by security.”

Maybe the little guy was a Mozilla agent and that circular room with node thingys he was breaking was a part of IE8.

• Fwiffo says:

Surely the firefox guys would be orange and the IE guys blue in that case?

11. Maxheadroom says:

a little console-y but as film tie-ins go it’s not bad looking.

Although I quite liked the Tron 2.0 game that came out a few years back, surprised no ones brought that up as a comparison yet

• robrob says:

Except for the first comment, you mean? Hello, is this thing on?

12. Tei says:

I am looking forward for LEGO TRON.

13. tomwaitsfornoman says:

Loved it.

14. Matthew says:

Funny, I was just thinking about Ocean the other day. And US Gold, too.

Hodge says:

Bah, give me Atron 5000 any day. Or this.

16. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Looks pretty good, and yes there’s been other footage out for quite a while, now.

17. Random Stranger #46 says:

That console program shown in video slows down my cycles :-(

18. ZIGS says:

This looks like your average Ubisoft game that you can play just by mashing a single button

19. fresch says:

Meh… not impressed.

Don’t like the soundtrack, for one thing. Usually I dig Daft Punk, but for some reason I can’t get into their work for TRON:E. The sound effects from TRON2.0 where absolutely marvelous, I loved the walking sound so much. In that video sounds are barely noticable over the boring warbly drone they call soundtrack, but they just don’t seem other-worldly enough.

And this running animation… what’s up with that? Looks like he is wagging an invisible tail, or wobbling like a drunk (but fast) orang-utan. I like freerunning as much as the next guy, but here it looks totally out of place.

The only thing I find nice , is more focus on the disc.

20. Corbeau says:

I actually like the look of this. Hard to say for certain how it all comes together, but remember that Prince of Persia was a good game. More Prince of Persia acrobatic awesome is never a bad thing.

21. Maxheadroom says:

Doh!

22. redrain85 says:

Although the new aesthetic isn’t as pleasing as in the original Tron film or Tron 2.0, the visuals in this game do look good.

But that’s where the goodness ends. The gameplay looks mediocre and uninspired. I mean: beat-‘em-up, nope-this-isn’t-Prince-of-Persia, and Wipeout HD game mechanics? Seriously? They seem to have totally missed the point of what Tron is all about. They should not need, or even want, to rip off Prince of Persia/Mirror’s Edge/The Matrix gameplay for this game to sell.

And unless the soundtrack we’ve heard so far is a temporary soundtrack, the music sounds equally as dull as the gameplay.

23. Longboot says:

I remember GRIN was pitching for this project back in the day when I worked there, our design pitch seemed quite different from this. Hmm, animation and movement looks pretty choppy and snaps to edges/locations quite a bit without appearing fluid. Hopefully this will improve soonest. Third person action/platform games need smoothness in the movement.

24. a says:

Can’t say I’m interested by this, but then again I’m a child of the 90s and didn’t see the movie growing up. Oh well.

25. neolith says: