Battle Royale With Cheese: Bloody Good Time

By Kieron Gillen on September 6th, 2010 at 4:17 pm.

This won't end well.

You remember Outerlight? Creator of ahead-of-its-time Multiplayer sleuth-assassin game The Ship, who you suspect is influential on both SpyParty and Assasin’s Creed: Brotherhood? Well, their new game Bloody Good Time was revealed at PAX and is bringing its 8-player multiplayer to Steam later in the year. It’s another quirky multiplayer game, where a number of actors compete – murderously – to be cast in a film. As well as weapons (from standard to somewhat stranger – rat-bombs, frying pan) there’s also the promise of environmental traps. It’s even a little progressive, in that there’s 50:50 ratio of male to female characters*. Except all the female characters are hot, so not that progressive really. The teaser trailer follows…

Hmm. While it’s totally possible it could pull through by sheer chutzpah, it doesn’t yet seem to demand your attention in the way that the Ship did. Hopefully there’s more to it than can be compressed down into marketing buzz-points.

*The bloke in the middle is the director, who’s presumably non-playable, pedant.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Alexander Norris says:

I miss The Ship. What really did it for me was the 1920s atmosphere, so I don’t think I’ll like Bloody Good Time that much. :(

2. Sweedums says:

All it needs is the hunt mode from the ship… thats all it needs and it will be great, but from what i can tell, it doesnt look like that will be the case. (though i sorely hope it is)

The Ship was fantastic… it was a bloody good time… so many opportunities for hilarious moments and memorable fights. but nobody plays it… WHY!?!?!?

• Toby says:

I thought it wouldn’t have the hunt mode either. But it will. It’s in the list of gamemodes on the Bloody Good Time website.

• Theory says:

From the website:

Hunt: hunt down and kill your quarry, but look out for the unknown hunter that is stalking you.

Elimination: murder your way through the cast one quarry at a time to be crowned the last man standing.

Revenge: Each murder earns you a new quarry, but adds to the list of players out for violent revenge. Watch your back.

Death Match: Everyone is a target, no rule here.

• Sweedums says:

oh thank god for that.

im now very very interested.

• DrGonzo says:

Yeah, it actually sounds just like the ship but with a new style. This leaves me worried, I loved the idea of The Ship. But it wasn’t actually any fun online and the bots were rather pants. Though I never played the original mod so that may have been better.

With a little tweaking though, I could see this becoming my favourite First Person…. Um… Game.

• Sweedums says:

you didnt enjoy it online? i LOVED it online. My one wish now is that the guns are rare again, becuase they make the game too boring if everyone is just shooting, instead of actually using mad weapons, like the umbrella or croquet mallet in the first game.

• DrGonzo says:

No it was pretty awful to be honest. There would be me playing the game, one other person who understands it playing along side me. And then everyone else would be running around randomly killing anyone they saw, ruining the game.

That of course was on the handful of occasions I ever actually managed to get a game with humans.

• DrGonzo says:

Gah fail post. What I meant was, my experience of it was pretty awful. Game was genius but flawed, needed to give the player tutorials I think.

3. Simon says:

The Ship style ‘assassination’ multiplayer with Spy vs Spy style environmental traps wrapped up in a cartoon aesthetic? I think I may well be keeping an eye on this one.

4. Ian says:

The fifth character (starting at the left on that image) could be Kieron in an enormous wig.

5. sana says:

Hot.

6. Legionary says:

The blood is on the inside of the pan, but who hits people with the inside of a wok? The clown clearly doesn’t, as he’s demonstrating his technique there and he’s opted for the traditional approach of using the outside of the wok as it allows him to generate more momentum and concentrate the force of the blow. This is an inconsistency.

For this reason I won’t be buying this game or any others from this developer.

• Ian says:

Maybe he was midway through making some kind of sauce.

• Lukasz says:

You are indeed correct about the technique of hitting with a pan Mr. Legionary.
      What you didn’t notice that the blood is close to the edge not spread around the pan.
      That tells us that after hitting a person with the outside surface of the pan (like it is presented in the picture) he then proceeded to finish off the victim (as a single blow with a pan which are notoriously soft was not sufficient) by hitting the neck with a handle. That caused blood from cut arteries to splatter in visible pattern inside of the pan.

The developers clearly paid attention to the killing techniques one can employ with a frying pan, therefore, I would recommend you to consider your boycott of the game as it shows great promise.

7. Moonracer says:

gah for trailers that don’t say anything. This is thread is making me regret not playing The Ship though.

8. stahlwerk says:

Honest question: who says the clown is a he?

(don’t say it wouldn’t work!)

• Matt says:

well, judging from the fact that all the women have rather substantial knockers, while the clown is flatter than Gigi Edgley….

9. Jac says:

Someone should make a Tom and jerry game

10. Trollface says:

I hope this game gets a mac release too, seeing as it’s powered by the Source engine.

11. Bob Arctor says:

Looks like an expansion to the Ship 2 if anything. And the Ship 2 lost the pace and fun spirit of the original HL1 mod, too slow, maps were too big, too many similar weapons. The original remains the best, but I don’t think I’d find anyone playing it if I looked.

RPS night?

12. bleeters says:

Based on the male character design and apparent theme, I’m assuming the point was less to make the female characters abstractly hot, and more to make them ridiculous caricatures.

Sagan says:

Still they could have gone for a sophisticate or a hippie or anything else really. The clown or the hipster could also have been female.

So I think you’d have to say there is sexism present here.

• bleeters says:

This is true. In fact, given the length of the playboy bunny’s legs, I can only assume she’s actually part flamingo.

• CLANG says:

Sagan is correct.

I could easily see a reverse of each of these character archetypes. And on top of that is “Playboy Bunny” really a caricature of an actress? Also how is there variation between “Playboy Bunny”, “Showgirl”, “Baywatch Girl”, and “Hot Goth?” They really selected from a very narrow group of aspiring actresses.

Anyway, sexism aside I’m interested as I never got to play The Ship…

• DrGonzo says:

The representations of men are completely unrealistic and stylised. So why would the women not be? I think the characters look ace.

• Bhazor says:

Reply to DrGonzo

To paraphrase feminists commenting on comic book characters. The men either look like caricatures with exaggerated features to emphasize their underlying character or else are bulging personifications of strength, self actualization and power. The women look like fuck dolls.

13. Gosh says:

i really hate the frying pan as a weapon. i mean have anyone here ever tried swinging one of those things? most people think it would be nice considering the weight but the handle is usually to short and makes you loose your grip really easily, especially if the frying pan was recently used and is still a little greasy.s

• bleeters says:

It worries me that you know all this.

• Tei says:

I bet there are worse things on the internets.
      Like that thread on the XKCD forums about the better weapons to kill zombies, with saucy details. (I will spoil you here: the baseball bat)

• Jake says:

I’d like to see a rolling pin revival, I feel they are underused.

14. Bhazor says:

The Ship was a great game. Was.

Last time I tried to play I couldn’t find a single server running Hunt just two dozen servers running deathmatch. When I finally did find a hunt server it had disabled AI civilians which is, y’know, the point of the game.

What a shame.

• Oak says:

There’s a Steam group called The Ship is Alive that’s been hosting games of Hunt every aftertoon for a little while now. Every time I’ve joined it’s been packed for a good hour or more. No AI passengers, but that’s an unfortunate compromise you have to make if you want to play the game now. Worth checking out.

15. Nurdbot says:

I wondered what happened to Outerlight, I thought they went under when the The Ship Website stopped working.

16. Jimbo says:

Yeah, stop getting your virtual sexism in my virtual murder simulator!

17. CLANG says:

It’s a “funny” weapon not an “efficient” weapon.

Also, it makes an interesting noise.

Sagan says:

I bought The Ship way too late when there were barely any servers left. I think as a whole I have had less than 5 hours of good fun with it. And that’s just because there was nobody to play with. I would have loved to play the game more.
    So I’m really glad that they are now making a new, similar game. Also with the marketing muscle of a publisher behind them, maybe this one will attract a larger, more enduring audience.

19. Gordon Freeman says:

I really want this game to be good because I loved The Ship.
    It’s too bad that not many people play it anymore, But that’s also probably because of the steep price on steam for it and no one really knows what it is.

20. Max says:

I’ve always considered The Ship to be one of the best HL mods ever. It suffered only from having a small audience (most likely due to its atypical gameplay). I really want these guys to get noticed.

Chaz says:

Pretty sure I saw a gameplay trailer for this on Xbox Live, and it looked to me like it was just a quirky death match FPS game.

22. Navagon says:

But this looks like it could be fun. It’s the kind of game an intelligent publisher with a keen eye would want to publish. So I wonder why Ubisoft were interested in it?

23. chipper says:

Outerlight closed down last year. Ubisoft seem to have taken over the IP and finished the game themselves. I gather there were….problems….with dev-publisher relations.