Brink: Thinking And Killing

By Alec Meer on September 7th, 2010 at 9:52 pm.

The wait for Splash Damage’s hybrid single/multiplayer shooter Brink feels oh-so-long now. From mutterings to concept art to proof of concept to concept to ooh-that-looks-ace to last month’s hands-on sessions (which RPS hasn’t actually yet had, mostly due to haphazard GamesCom scheduling on our part), the near-future team-barney has very much been made flesh. It’s been a long time coming, but all of sudden we’re theoretically now just a couple of seasons away from release. Spring 2011? Oh, that’d be grand. Here’s why the big-faced factional warfare game matters to its creators….

The high-risk gamble is, of course, pouring a a meaty, satisfying singleplayer gravy over mechanics that seem to fundamentally stem from multiplayer man-killing. Despite the commonality of the targeting reticule, these are two schools of design that have so very often failed to co-exist. Brink is trying to make that happen, which is precisely why my beadiest eye has been staring at it with unblinking interest all these long months.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. MadMatty says:

blah blah blah – unreal tourney.

is that really what they said?

2. Tacroy says:

That’s kind of interesting – this video is the first time I’ve seen them push the single-player storyline. All the other media about the game has focused literally everything else in the game – the SMART movement system, the character customization, the way single player missions can sometimes involve multiple players (seems kinda like Demon’s Souls actually). I haven’t really heard anything about their actual story besides the basic scene sketch, so it’s interesting that now they’ve decided that the story is going to be a selling point.

3. Sobric says:

I think that when a developer decided that they want to do a talking head video, they should go out and hire a man with a broad Yorkshire accent to do it. It will make watching them much, much more enjoyable.

• Sobric says:

The game does look fantastic though – Spring 2011 seems so far away though. Here’s hoping for a beta sooner rather than later.

• battles_atlas says:

Anyone else notice that Paul Wedgewood is the long-lost fat twin of Mark Kermode?

4. Brian Artiaco says:

I played this at PAX this weekend, and it was definitely my favorite game of the show. The controls are a little weird at first, but it felt very natural by the end of the match.

They only had multiplayer on display, so I can’t speak to the single player or coop elements. The match I played felt like a really good cross between Team Fortress 2 and Call of Duty 4.

• Howl says:

This almost fell off my radar when EDGE crucified it one month following a show. Their big gripes were GUI and controls. I have to admit the gameplay videos from E3 looked like choppy, laggy nonsense so it seemed justified.

Is the shooty mechanic naturally fun or are you wrestling with the interface to get to the fun underneath? It looks like it has a lot of potential but might play badly.

• Dhatz says:

at least it can’t end up as controversial as Borderlands.

5. ORYLY says:

#1 I see they installed a lot of bloom in their office.

#2 How much people on their dev team have the same shape as their character designs?

• The Pink Ninja says:

No one has the same body shape as the people in brink

6. Jake says:

Surely all gun noises have been recorded by now, I suspect the sound guys just want to go and fire guns.

7. Horatius says:

Something something about “trying to find that perfect gun shooty-bang sound”.
    Cut to in-game clip of machinegun firing with machinegun sound that’s been heard more often than your alarm clock in the morning.

Mostly I just find these ‘behind the scenes’ promos so tedious. I do truly want this to be a good game.

• Dhatz says:

you will get your good(bad) game, but I will keep wanting supreme(actually of any value for me) game from every project. Mafia II is a big fail and continues to be even after jimmys vendetta= freeride with annoying character(I’d prefer annyoing orange any secon of day instead of jimmys 1 and half quotes)

8. Clavus says:

Ever since its first announcement this game has been on my radar. I just love manoeuvrability in shooters.

9. Araxiel says:

“Our game will be revolutionary”, “It will change everything”, “We’re doing things which no one has ever done before”, “We really enjoyed making the game”, “The team is really great”, “We’re going to create something that combines everything we like about games”, “It’s great to see how something from an idea, a concept, changes to a model and then later is found in the game”, “blabla blorp”, “hubba hubba zoot zoot”, “etc.”

I somewhere heard that before. Oh yeah, in those other 1 gazillion videos where you see some developers masturbating to how awesome the game will be.

But then again, I actually played in at the GamesCom and the multiplayer fells like the good old Wolfenstein with some TeamFortress 2 graphics. And about the S.M.A.R.T. system: Well, that’s kinda nice. But it’s not something absoluty groundbreaking. It’s just more awesome than “press space to jump over the wall”

• Dhatz says:

at least they found the middleground between perfect jump+duck buttons and “write what to do now(we forced you to read, HA!)” can’t force myself to like such PIA sytem “throw the camera to change button function”.

10. Farewell says:

This game now carries all the failed expectations of MW2 and BC2, but I think it can pull it off :D

• yourmother says:

Am I the only one who actually enjoys BC2?

Its a great game; sure it has flaws but its damn good fun.

Maybe its because i’ve never even heard of it until it came out, so I didn’t have any expectations

• Howl says:

BC2 does exactly what it says on the tin. Are you sure you didn’t just have unrealistic expectations? I can’t remember there ever being a shooter that I have sunk 350+ hours into, in the history of gaming. The relationship between controls, character and environment is about the best I’ve ever come across in a first person game. In fact it’s the first FPS (not counting L4D Versus) that I’ve given the time of day to in years.

• FRIENDLYUNIT says:

I’m still angry about my missing distinguished battle field knowledge pin. I went to a lot of trouble to make the requirements for that and EA support basically said “Oh well. Not enough people have complained. KTHXBAI.”

Also where’s my squad VOIP? Still broken! Friends list? Still broken!

• Bungle says:

Not to mention the fact that every client is put on a 100ms delay because their net code sucks.

BC2 looks brilliant. The concept is perfect. I always join a game with the best of intentions, but the gameplay is off. I know I’m especially sensitive to it because I’m a TF2 player (which is smooth as silk), but we all feel it when we play BC2 for the first time. It’s something you have to get used to. And it’s annoying.

• Alexander Norris says:

Are you sure you didn’t just have unrealistic expectations?

Nope! Even expecting it to be a pale ersatz of previous Battlefield games, it’s got terrible, clunky controls, terribly unstable netcode (though to be fair, which Battlefield hasn’t?) and some pretty horrid design issues, the biggest one of which is the fact that the AT launchers should not have any splash damage, least of all enough of it to kill infantry.

• Nick says:

Not to mention stupid things like medics having LMGs (wtf?) assault having ammo resuply (good idea, give them an unlimited amount of grenade launcher rounds!), momentary revive damage immunity, enemy mines/c4 that can’t be disarmed (this has major issues when they stay for ages after an engineer is dead, meaning rush mode is a joke when all you have to do is drop a few mines and die, only to respan and blow them up from miles away and there is nothing the defending team can do. Tiny conquest maps that are mostly just coridoors, no select fire.. hell I could go on for a lot longer but meh, haven’t played it in many months and don’t have any desire to. It has potential to be quite fun, but that relies on the majority of players not using tedious cheap tactics and thus rarely happens.

• battles_atlas says:

BC2 is great fun. No its not as good as BF2, instead it plays like BF’s dumb console brother, and that’s what it is. The browser works fine for me now, has done since about a month after release. I really don’t give a shit about whether rockets should have splash damage or medics LMGs, thats what Arma is for. BC2 is about blowing shit up, and it does that damn well.

• Walsh says:

@Bungle Hah I have the opposite effect coming from MW2 and BC2 to TF2, the game play in TF2 always feels off to me. It takes me several nights of playing to get used to the way the weapons work and the character movement.

11. dude says:

to bad a geforce gt 240 will never run this game :’(

12. TheLordHimself says:

No you are not. There are few angry people who expected more than what was promised of BC2. They never set out to make Battlefield 3.

13. free2game says:

Were they still demoing the “360 version being emulated on a PC’?

14. negativedge says:

the sniper rifle sounds like “god coughing.” totally going to steal that line.

15. neems says:

There was a video walkthrough posted many moons ago, all about the single player aspect of the game. I’m sure it’s still up on gametrailers or youtube or the other usual suspects.

16. kulik says:

“Blurring the lines between online and offline gameplay.” …who asked them to do so? I don’t want to deal wit 12-year-old ruining my singleplayer experience and i don’t want to ruin somebodys singleplayer experience when i just want to hop in on multiplayer to score some frags and dick around…

• Dhatz says:

Instead they could start erasing any frakking imaginary line by stripping players ofdirect communication and only allowing lagless players to inhabit otherwise NPC teammates.

17. Toby says:

I really like the idea behind this game. Going to be a lot of fun if it turns out the way they want it to.

18. Damian says:

No one is forcing you to purchase it. Don’t like the game design? Buy a different game.

• Dhatz says:

You said it. DL this if you like it just enough. noone would ever force me to pay for Borderlands but noboy restricetd me to waste time/space with it and 1st, bank of 2nd and 3/4 of 3rd DLC. same happens with Mafia II a.k.a. epic initial content letdown(get used to this collocation).