Everything Must Go: PC Zone Auctions Office

By Kieron Gillen on September 7th, 2010 at 12:30 pm.

A Manics reference was probably guessable here.

Mags closings are always a sad thing. I recall walking along a brisk beachfront in Tenby reading the final issue of Amiga Power and discovering I’d had my eyes pecked out by birds. If you’ve been sniffling over the final issue of PC Zone, perhaps you want something to remember this fine organ? Well, they’re auctioning off their office on Ebay. And, in an uncharacteristic move for PC Zone, rather than spending the proceeds on tasty booze, they’re giving the proceeds to charity. Gamesaid, to be precise. You can go and see their fine collecting of gaming malarkies here and if you fancy just giving some money without cluttering your house up with PC Zone’s junk, you can donate here. Go kindness! Go!

And, in case you missed it, here’s ex-Editor Will Porter’s tribute to PC Zone. We will never see its like again.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. M says:

Man, there are some classics there.

Will we see its like again, though? Aren’t you optimistic about the freedom that Internets gives to writers? RPS is a good example, no? Or do you just mean the coinciding of time, place, people and games that was a one-off?

• Kieron Gillen says:

And being a magazine.

KG

• M says:

What’s the key thing there, though? The physicality? I dunno, I think it’ll be captured again in the future. Not physically, of course, but I think we can get that sort of attitude and atmosphere back.

• Kieron Gillen says:

Magazines don’t work in the same way as websites do. The reading – and writing – experience is wildly separate.

KG

2. kulak says:

It was my understanding that a closing down sale would have prices CHEAPER than retail, not more expensive.

Pray tell then, why I would pay £10 for a copy of Thief deadly shadows, when I could pick it up for £5 NEW.

If they actually want to raise some money for charity, they might figure to price things properly.

3. Alexander Norris says:

The link to the auction is broken and instead links to the gamesaid shop (which you then link to again two lines down).

• Alexander Norris says:

Blah, joke ruined by omitted word. Should’ve read “the link to the office auction” instead.

(Since it’s ruined I may as well explain it: it’s funny because I express expectation of their auctioning off the office building.)

4. Donny says:

Gamesaid? Gamesaidwhat?

5. whaleloever says:

Charity: pah. Kieron only did this so he could work another mid-90s song into the title.

6. Navagon says:

I grabbed Startopia. I hope it works on WIndows 7, as that will be my little remembrance of PC Zone’s glory days.

7. zipdrive says:

couldn’t find much of interest there.
    Mostly crap or non-bragains.
    There is a copy of the wonderful Transport tycoon there somewhere, though…

• Navagon says:

You can get that for free now though. And no, I don’t mean from abandonware sites, I mean it was officially released for free.

• Sarlix says:

This is £3 more than they are selling Warhammer Online for. Is WAR really [i]that[/i] bad? Or is My horse and me really [i]that[/i] good?! And no I’m no spending 5 quid to find out.

• Sarlix says:

God damn BBcode fail!. I knew I would screw it. Oh well it was a chance and I took it!

8. We Fly Spitfires says:

Man, that’s some sad news. I always enjoyed PCZone when I was a kid although, if I’m honest, I haven’t read it in years which no doubt contributed to it’s decline. It just seems like all gaming news is moving online these days.

9. Aquarion says:

Oooh, Startopia. *grabs*

10. blah says:

The only thing that’s caught my eye so far is Timeline…

11. The_B says:

It would have almost been acceptable had it been a Sugababes album, instead of these new NotSugababes people.

Almost.

12. Freudian Trip says:

Could I buy their Steam press account for £15 please? It’s a good deal. You know it.

13. tomwaitsfornoman says:

Original, factory-sealed X-Com Apocalypse. Nice.

14. Richie Shoemakakakaka says:

If anyone sees my leaving cover for sale let me know. I left it in the pub after my leaving do back in 2002

15. thegrinner says:

Aaaand no postage outside Europe. Shit. There’s some halfway decent stuff up there :/

16. Optimaximal says:

Isn’t ‘auction’ stretching it? Everything is on buy-it-now.

Imagine the money they could have raised if the bidding was allowed to madly out of control on the Vault Boy Bobblehead!

17. Maxheadroom says:

Not what I was expecting. I was hoping for proper PCZone memorabilia like the knife and fork Charlie Brooker used to eat his own arse (no idea why that was the first thing to come to mind and I’m slightly scared by it). or an original print of Cruelty Zoo.

But it’s more just like a HMV bargain bin (although some of them are undeniably classics)

18. simon says:

Magazines have been obsolete for over 10 years. I have fond memories of reading magazines. Still sad to see people out of work.

Oh bloody hell a crapatcha. I wonder will anyone ever see this?

19. frenz0rz says:

Not a bad selection of crap to be sold, but unfortunately gone are the days when I’d consider paying over £5 for an average, not-particularly-rare PS1 game.

20. Casimir's Blake says:

Remembers reading reviews of Doom 2 and Descent 2 in PC Zone and gets misty-eyed at the days of tasty screenshots and inspired writing.

And Culky? How delightfully random…

21. Azazel says:

Dibs on the Div3r official strategy guide.

22. fugo says: