Mass Effect 2 Statistics Are Properly Batshit

By Quintin Smith on September 7th, 2010 at 2:09 pm.

I made a lady Shephard. She fell in love with Garrus, then he was carried off by bees. True story.

Okay, so wrap your head around this. IGN have done a short feature where they talk to Bioware Executive Producer Casey Hudson about the studio’s stat harvesting in Mass Effect 2. For their part, Bioware have revealed some of those stats, and some of them are genuinely mad. More people chose the Soldier class for Shepherd than all the other classes combined. Players skipped an average of 15% of the game’s dialogue. Two PC owners finished their copies of the game 28 times.

Click through for the full list of stats, including some interesting differences between 360 and PC gamers.

Pew-pew!

In the article proper Casey states that 360 gamers did more of the crew loyalty missions, while PC gamers took longer to complete the game overall. Also, more PC gamers did Miranda’s loyalty mission, while more 360 gamers took an interest in cloned super-warrior Grunt. Maybe they mistook him for Marcus Fenix. Or maybe us lot are just more attracted to imaginary attractive Australians.

Casey also says some interesting things about using these stats in the article proper, but for anyone excited about Mass Effect 3 this is the key quote:

There was a great improvement in quality from Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2, and that was without collecting this telemetry data. If this endeavor proves useful, we can expect great things from the final chapter in the trilogy.

Mm! I’m expecting some pretty great things myself, to the point where I’m a little sad that they’re only talking about this being a trilogy. Still, it’s not like games haven’t escaped their status as a trilogy in the past. C’mon, moneymen of the games industry. Don’t fail me now.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. mrmud says:

80% male?
    Thats a disgrace if I ever saw one

• robrob says:

In other news, 80% of ME2 players are thickies and completely wrong about everything.

• Rich says:

Silly people.

• AlexW says:

I don’t see anything that says that 80% ONLY played Male. It’s entirely possible they combined it, so anyone that decided to play from both sides appears too and it’s instead saying that 20% only played as the more enjoyable third person experience.

Similarly, I would certainly be dismayed if most players didn’t experience the thrill of having their own character be a Biotic God.

• Veret says:

Seriously. Between this and the soldier data, it’s like half the world is playing a gimped version of the game. What’s next, playing Dragon Age on Xbox?

• The Pink Ninja says:

I’d assume if they say 80% male then 80% of all play-throughs featured a male Shep, which is fail

FemShep.Jennifer Hal;e forever!

• SanguineAngel says:

pssssshhhh, I admit it, I played as a male sheppherd. And I loved it. I did it cos it was the role I chose to play – i had just finished gridlinked for the 2nd time when I playe ME1 and so I had some awesome cormac/sheppherd bad-ass going on. I got attached to my original character so I stuck with him in 2 and I will stick with him in 3 too. I regret nothing and I’d do it again too!

Having said that, femme-shep get cudos for being awesome and also a lot of fun to play. She’s just not my original and therefore I simply can’t equate her with MY Mass Effect

• bleeters says:

I’m personally wondering how much of that 80% is the result of Miranda stripping off in the engine room.

• Huggster says:

The only reason I played a Male Shep was the romance interest.
      What can I say – I have a weakness for curvy brunettes! In any form!

• pagad says:

I just can’t understand why Bioware insist on using generic macho Man!Shep in all the trailers etc. This thing about 80% of people actually choosing to PLAY as him is even more mystifying.

• Nathan says:

• Snall says:

…er…yeah, I’m not crazy enough to RP a chick, sorry.

• DJ Phantoon says:

I always just made my male Shepard look like the Doomguy.

• Chizu says:

I played a playthrough withe each. Both carried over from ME1.

Though pretty much the sole reason for Male Sheps existence was so I could date Tali in 2 :]

• Dean says:

“That 80% /do/ play as a Male Shepard should entirely answer your concern about why the marketing always features an alpha-male Shepard, though.”

Maybe. Though maybe 80% played as Male Shep as that’s what he is in all the marketing.

I’m genuinely convinced, having played the first one through twice, that the part was written as a female role. It just feels more right. Hale’s Shep actually sounds like a character, there’s a lot more emotion in it. Male Shep just drifts between reading the lines and shouting a bit.

• Anthony Damiani says:

Wait, 80% played mShep, what percentage played femShepherd? Surely, not 20%?

• DrGonzo says:

I can’t play as a woman in a game like this. It’s roleplaying, and while I’m not playing myself I can be a little more immersed as a man rather than a woman. Plus I started a game as a woman in the original, while I hate the male voice-over, I can’t stand the woman either. I’m a brutal killer and she sounds too wimpy to me.

• DrGonzo says:

It may have been written for a woman, but not the voice actress they got. I go round punching people in the face everytime I can or killing them if possible, and she doesn’t come across that way at all. At least the guy is a dick, that fits my style of play a bit more. But why oh why couldn’t they hire as good a voice actors for the player characters as they do for the npcs?

• V says:

Are they talking about playERS, or playTHROUGHS? Seems like it would be useful to distinguish between the two.

And yeah, femShep pwns, but the bulk of ME players are fraternitards who see nothing wrong with the statement “A woman couldn’t be a hero like Shepard is.” So, go figure.

• A-Scale says:

Are you Brits really getting your panties in a bind about male gamers playing as males? You don’t think the player base of ME2 was at LEAST 20% male?

• Tacroy says:

A-Scale: well yes, probably the vast majority of the players of Mass Effect 2 are male. Statistically speaking, about 90% of them will be straight males.

And that’s why we expect them to play a female character – or do you enjoy staring at a man’s ass for an average of 33 hours?

• Ian says:

I don’t have an issue playing as a female character, but nor do I understand the “If I’ve got to stare at a backside-” argument. I tend to be more interested in what’s going on around me and if something’s going to try and jump out and kill my face and hardly look at my character’s bum ever.

• Jacques says:

I don’t know what you look at when you play, but I don’t tend to look at my character when I’m moving about.

I played a Male Shep, never understood playing a female character, unless I was forced to.

• rollermint says:

Tacroy :

Thats a pretty silly argument. Overused as well.
      Do you play a game so that you can stare at a virtual person’s ass or do you actually PLAY the game?

IRT I’m not sure whats wrong with 80% playing as male characters. Its pretty obvious that males constitute the majority of the playerbase…across almost all genres. Political correctness gone bonkers?

Be happy that theres a distinct, very distinct possibility that about 20% gamers are actually females…lol

• JackShandy says:

It’s pretty obvious that these are only the statistics because Male and Soldier are at the top of the list. It’s the same reason politicians always want the to be the top name on ballots, people who have no idea what they’re doing choose the first available option.

As a male, I played femshep first, just because that was my character from ME1. Then I cried in anguish as I realised that I could never be more than Good Friends with Tali. Then I threw myself into the arms of frog-skin Thane just to get the Paramour, feeling disgusted with myself. Then I failed even that because I said the wrong thing to him at the last minute.

MY SHEP IS A FAILURE.

• ET says:

I’m a female player who usually play male characters because it’s actually easier to RP that way, the way games tend to write women. (Note : this is not intended to bring about a GAMES ARE SEXIST issue, it’s simply that I’m quite odd for a women. Grew up with men, played all the boys’ toys, works in an intensely male-dominated industry, weirded out by femininity, blah blah blah.) But still, for ME, I’ve never been able to play a MaleShep. I COULDN’T MAKE HIM LOOK OR SOUND LESS GENERIC, ARGH.

But then again, I played Engineer. Maybe THAT’S part of the issue. =p

• panther says:

renegade male, paragon female

what up

• Dhatz says:

you guys know it: statistics cannot be trusted because they are useless without complementary data. it’s like telling that planes have least crashes per mileage. but how many of the crashes are 100% fatal and what could we consider a crash? one engine getting fucked up and flying into safety with a trail of sparks carried by other 3? can you imagine how low would be fatality for bus crashes, taht would have to include every minor collision where nobody was even hurt.

• Hidden_7 says:

Paragon male, renegade female.

I’ve never really gotten the “which backside would you like to look at?” argument. I sort of understand it, but for me I’m not staring at Shepard’s backside for 30+ hours, I’m BEING Shepard for 30+ hours. And I’m a guy, so it’s easier to role play being a guy. I’ll play as the lady eventually, but it won’t be the first playthrough, since the first playthrough is going to be the most naturalistic one. Later ones tend to be a bit more contrived. That’s also why I always end up playing goodie goodie first, and evil bastard second.

2. TCM says:

There’s people who didn’t do all the loyalty missions?

Most played class soldier?

urrrrgh

• Rich says:

I personally wish I’d played ME1 as a soldier first, so that I could unlock the assault rifle skill for who ever else I chose to play.

Why doesn’t my sniper know how to shoot an SMG, why?

• TCM says:

Soldier is booooring, and ME1 assault rifles are broken. There’s no reason whatsoever for a full automatic weapon to be that accurate, and have that much firepower.

Soliders in ME2 are…slightly less boring, but have pretty much no real advantage over all the other classes. Especially not BOOM STEALTH HEADSHOT Infiltrator, or CHARGIN TARGE Vanguard.

• The Pink Ninja says:

I played the solider because it was simple, good in a fight and straight forward. I didn’t understand the real difference between classes until after I completed the game.

And I deliberately didn’t do the Loyalty missions in a play through because I was trying to get people killed.

• SanguineAngel says:

I did most of the loyalty missions because they were what my character would have done. I liked that I didn’t have to though.

I talked about being attached to my Sheppherd in another post, and part of that is because of the choices he made in the previous game and the bad shit that happened sometimes because. It was narratively compelling. Forcing no win situations on the player is something that should happen more often. It is a place where video games can really really learn from other story telling mediums.

If I have one gripe with ME2, it was that I it was far too easy to have everyone live. I didn’t do anything special, i even made a few (as I saw it) poor choices, but I did play it as seemed appropriate for my character and nothing bad really happened to him. I feel like maybe it should.

• Dyos says:

No advantages? I think nearly unlimited bullet-time + a machine gun is a pretty big advantage.

• TCM says:

Infiltrator gets near infinite bullet time, but with instant death sniper rifles instead.

• Lack_26 says:

I played soldier since it suited who my character was as a person, not to mention I loved all the weapons I got to play with.

• bleeters says:

…I may have cheated slightly and modded in assault rifle use for my infiltrator, at the expense of removing SMG and heavy weapons skill to cut down on feeling like a walking munitions factory. Damnit though, I wanted my Avenger back.

• DrGonzo says:

@TCM I disagree. In ME1 I played Soldier, because the combat was broken and dull apart from the shooting. In ME2 I played the force powers guy who uses pistols and loved it because they had actually made the combat fun.

• Tacroy says:

@Sanguine: the thing is, I don’t think any game developer is willing to take the same risk that Deus Ex did – for instance, there were people who didn’t even realize until the tenth anniversary that you could get your brother out of the ambush alive, or that Jock’s chopper doesn’t have to explode. If you make the “perfect” endings not completely obvious, there’ll be a lot of people who miss out on some of your content and thus think that your game isn’t as great as it could be.

• SanguineAngel says:

@ Tacroy Well developers are certainly very reticent about putting the player in any unpleasant situations as a general rule. Deus Ex is a good comparison here. But look at ME1: [SPOILER] where you are forced to choose between (in my opinion) two pretty great characters on one of them IS going to die{/SPOILER].

What developers or publishers seem to misunderstand is that there is a very real difference between an unpleasant gaming situation – ie somewhere that is unreasonably difficult to beat in context of the game – and an unpleasant narrative situation – ie something bad happens to the character(s). Provided that something bad doesn’t spell game over it is actually a very important narrative technique. I think it’s why games as stories usually fall flat. Books, films and stories in general are driven by unfortunate situations, things going wrong, emotional turmoil, tragedy. And then ovrecoming that, or reconciling with it.

In general stories in games, or even sub-plots, simply go from strength to strength. There is some problem to start but at every step of the way from then on, the game has you get better, stronger, always putting you in a better position. If the player makes a mistake then it’s restart. It was the major strength for me in ME1, and something they didn’t do anywhere near as well in ME2 to my mind. And as you say, Deus Ex had that. In terms of story, it wasn’t the overall plot that made Deus Ex great, it was the way it was told, the betrayals, the errors in jedgement, the deaths of people he loved, and the eventual victory or downfall of JC Denton that made it a compelling story.

In general it strikes me that this is where developers need to hire professional authors. People who know how to construct a story. And they need the freedom to do so. I suspect there is a lot of railroading even in the rare circumstances when such an expert is utilised. ME1 showed me that they knew how to tell a story. ME2 disappointed me in the regard in comparison. I am very much hopeing for better from ME3.

Sorry if that’s a bit rambly, it’s early! ish!

• Dhatz says:

@sanguineAngel: while that is true, having bad shit happen in the story doesn’t save a game from being bad overall. You know I mean Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days.

• Wraggles says:

Instant kill snipers….what game were you playing? On easy difficulty sure, on others, not so much.

Stealth-> Boom, there goes barrier, ->wait 3 secs -> boom, there goes the shields, wait 3 secs, boom, there goes half the armour, wait 3 secs, boom, the rest of the armour, wait 3 secs boom, there, dead, onto the next enemy.

Admittedly only boss types had all 3 defense, but still many had 2. There’s only a few basic enemies you could headshot…..and u could do it with ANY GUN.

Soldier was simply, Pull trigger and feel like a God.

3. Rhythm says:

Interesting stuff but can’t say I’m enamoured by this sort of analysis. If the data behind (stellar) ME1 resulted in the (IMO) lacklustre ME2, I dread to think what this sort of data’s going to turn ME3 into

• mootpoint says:

</cite
      Perhaps the data will make ME3 better even for you, it seems to me it depends on both how the devs choose to interpret them as well as why you liked ME1.

• mootpoint says:

Fail, try again:

• Markachy says:

I’m sorry but I have to ask, but how on EARTH can you think ME1 was better? It was more tedious (jesus god the Mako missions, save me), the guns and combat were significantly worse (and although I liked the many many weapons in ME1, it was just an illusion that came down to Spectre Gear X every time, there was no positives and negatives to each, as in ME2 – quality over quantity), texture pop-in during play, I personally thought the characters were worse (come on, Liara and Ashley were cringeworthy! “Oh I love poets” “Oh I am a unisex sexy alien geek”), more running back and forth, insanity wasn’t a greater challenge, it was just a war of attrition/boredom etc etc.

Don’t get me wrong, I was and am a massive (hur) fan of ME1, completed it maybe 6, 7 times. But ME2 was, I thought, a huge improvement in many ways, and has redefined what I expect from RPGs. And again this is coming from a “hardcore”, BG-playing, FO1 and 2 obsessing, Planescape-worshipping, Obsidian-believing RPG geek.

Just interested as to your reasons for it. I never actually thought anyone could have preferred the first.

• Freud says:

You are quite correct that the Mako missions were boring and ME2s combat is significantly better. But the planet scanning (which is required to do research) in ME2 is much worse than the Mako stuff is in the first. The side quests generally work better in the sequel too. Overall, it is much more polished.

Now let’s get into why ME1 is better than the sequel. There is this new universe that the game wants us to explore and learn more about. You get to travel to places that seem to mean something and not just spots that are randomly created because you have to scratch the back of every crew member. It’s like they had a lot of story for ME1 and then realized they didn’t have story for a full trilogy so they decided to make the middle one purely transport. This really creates a weird break from discovery to an almost complete lack of it.

If they can get the first ones sense of wanting to tell us about the world the game is set in with all the polish of the second for the last game, I am happy. And if they bring back the scanning just to fluff up the hours played to hide just how short the actual game is, they should be shot.

• 1nightStand says:

Am I the only one who liked the MAKO? Yes, it was a goofy vehicle but its sections offered the illusion of vastness and freedom. I like exploring planets- those were my zen moments, devoid of drama and fights. And some of those planets had great atmosphere (no pun intended).

When they said that they listened to their audience and would be fixing the planet exploration, I was excited- I pictured vast different planets, some with unique eco-systems, others harsh and desolate, but each with unique missions and scenery.

It was pretty disappointing to find that by “fixing”, they meant ditching it out all together.

• SanguineAngel says:

I’m partly with 1NightStand here, I didn’t really dig the mako missions in ME1 – they felt far too cookie cutter and lifeless (i never felt i was exploring anything at all) but they certainly had some very interesting stories and explorations of the character of the universe. The mechanics were terrible to my mind but what they were actually trying to show you was pretty cool. And then in a lot of those little optional missions you frequently got to make interesting choices.

I was looking forward to more of that choice and exploration combined with genuinely exciting and varied gameplay. This did not happen. Which is a shame. They did end up replacing one tedium with another in the end.

Certainly it was easier and LESS tedious to just scan the planet with my mouse, rather than have to drive all over the damn thing for no good reason. But I would rather not face that sort of tedium at all. I hope that is what they have learned this time.

• Tyler says:

I liked ME1 quite a bit better myself. I liked the ground vehicle just fine, which probably helped, and am actually a little baffled as to why so many people hated it. First playthrough on X-Box or something?

Also, the plot of the first one is just -way- more interesting, and compelling, what with you starting out as a more regular person and getting a super-cool ship and political powers a little later. There’s a reason that’s a trope. It draws you in. The first also has a way better ending.

Not that I dislike the 2nd…The first game is pretty hard to follow up on, plot-wise, and they did a pretty good job, considering that.

• DSX says:

I loved the MAKO too – and was sad that it was replaced by swishy mouse scanning and the cheesy hopping hover craft thing. Bring Down the Sky was my fave DLC for ME1 because of the awesome driving bits with that amazing backdrop of the planet.

• Dhatz says:

people generally agree that the best game ever hast to have everything you could ever want to do/be in a game and in outstanding quality, but those very same bastards could never buy/finish/enjoy such a game. there are people/enitites who didn’t think san andreas was best of the GTA III trilogy. Mako was the relaxing part and mounted cannon and mobile cover and hat little jmp jets! I would enjoy ME2 much more if it’s successor the hammerhead tank was in the vanilla ME2 instead of what only (us) pirates don’t hate that much(DLC).

4. litrock says:

So most people played a male soldier who didn’t do everyone’s loyalty mission? Apparently most people are doing it WRONG.

Those poor bastards.

5. laikapants says:

My Female Engineer Shep is so so lonely. And not just because her suspicious doppleganger/almost lover got turned into Reaper Goo.

Also, is the Shadow Broker DLC the end of ME2 DLC? I’ve been waiting for them to finish before I buy them all and start from scratch, again.

6. Risingson says:

I did all the missions, and spent 30 hours exactly, and didn’t pass from level 26 either. I thought it was well measured regarding gameplay.

And I skip most dialogues. I use to get a glimpse and process the information later.

• disperse says:

I find this fascinating. Can you follow the storyline skipping the dialogues? Do you just rely upon the quest log to tell you what you need to do next?

I don’t normally skip dialog(ue) in games but do believe they are often unnecessary. I think gamers are skilled at distilling the important game-related information out of dialog. Blah, blah, blah, I need to rescue this guys daughter, blah, blah, blah. The things that make the biggest impression happen in game using the language of the game system, which we all understand.

• ScubaMonster says:

I don’t mind reading/listening to the dialogue of a game. However, I do think a lot of dialogue in games is tedious and unnecessary filler.

• Lack_26 says:

It took me 40 hours to complete, mind you I strip-mined EVERY planet there was since I didn’t understand how the end of the game would work and Pentadact had said you need a lot of Platinum, I just assumed he meant a LOT of platinum (i.e. all of it in the game).

• disperse says:

I remember enjoying speaking with the aliens in KOTOR because the dialog was subtitled. The random pseudo-alien speech was good enough to be believable and I didn’t have to sit there and listen to a voice actor make a speech. I think people don’t actually talk the way NPCs in RPGs do. We say as little as we need to in order to make our point.

• Dhatz says:

ypu just pointed out bad(=unbelievable) writing, which happens to be almost a rule as people naively thing writers provide authentic/good conversations. you need someone who never whitten as pro/never got corrupted by the text nature of written media(quite hard as most communication is nowadays text-based). best game dialogue writing/VA is such where characters make errors/have to clarify themselves in their speech.

7. Ganders says:

It makes sense to use the soldier class more, because the special powers that the other player classes specialize in (apart from their single unique one) can be used through your teammates- and you can control their powers better than their shooting.

• Rich says:

I suppose. You are the squad leader after all.

• Zenicetus says:

Yeah, this. Soldier allows the most tactical options, and I could usually make better decisions about who to target for a special attack, and when, than my AI companions. Not that it’s an especially deep tactical game, but I liked having the option. And the assault rifle is fun. The Geth pulse rifle version (unlocked if you do the save Tali mission on Hardcore) is almost overpowered for the game, but still great fun.

The other reason I chose Soldier for 2 of the 3 playthroughs I did, was that I just liked the choices for engineer and biotic companions better than the soldier-class companions.

8. Lh'owon says:

I played as female Shephard and as an Engineer, though I found myself slightly regretting the latter – I love sentries in games (being a lazy sod who enjoys letting a machine do my killing for me) but the one in ME2 wasn’t all that interesting.

9. Chris D says:

I find it depressing how many people chose to play as the soldier. I mean really you couldn’t find enough games where you shoot people with an assault rifle so you just had to have one more?

• Ian says:

Hopefully in a crazy, distant future what class other people play the game as won’t effect the amount of fun you have when you play it.

• tekDragon says:

Is that the future where execs wont look at the numbers and ask the dev team why they even bother making other classes?

• Foxfoxfox says:

The thing is, the more attention people pay to stats like these – the more wrong you will be about that otherwise sharp assertion. Actually the fact that 80% of people play soldier will indeed affect the sequel.

I kind of fear a future where the design of games is totally democratized in this way, leading to a generation of very mediocre games which contain to strong design decisions, because they are all about letting people do what they already do.

• Chris D says:

Ian

Ok, maybe I am being a bit grumpy about it. There are reasons why people like playing as soldiers and that’s fair enough. It’s the “more than every other class combined” bit that really grates. I have no problem with people enjoying shooting people in the face, I quite like it myself sometimes. But it seems like now every other game is a shooter so to take one of the games which is trying to do something else and turn it into more of the same seems like a wasted opportunity. And as TekDragon and Fox say, there’s an increasing chance that the number of games which aren’t shooters is going to shrink.

• Archonsod says:

When you boil it down, the classes in Mass Effect equate to the traditional warrior/thief/mage used by every RPG. And to be honest, the other classes didn’t interest me in the slightest; the engineer had nothing that looked fun they could build, and the other is a cheap Jedi rip off. So I went with the soldier primarily because out of a selection of bland and generic classes he seemed to be the only one not arbitrarily gimped for having meh abilities.

• Nova says:

That’s the slight disadvantage with the save game importing.
      I started ME1 with a biotic and got stuck on one planet (don’t remember which one) at this geth ambush. I tried it many many times but didn’t make it. So I tried a soldier and just played through the game.
      At least I wasn’t a male Shepard.

• Ian says:

I think at least in part it’s because in so many games AI team-mates are abysmal and people less used to this sort of game just assume that’ll still be the case. There are also many games with guns and Assorted Abilities where you’re just so much easier shooting people in the face than trying to use whatever fun-but-ineffective stuff you’ve also got to play with. The two combined probably caused some people to pick the soldier because it’s what they know is least likely to be face-mashingly bad rather than thinking it sounds the most interesting.

I’m not entirely sure why more games don’t go down the route (that less seem to these days) of giving a try at different things. A taster of each class and saying “You’re pretty good at this, but you can choose what class you like” so that you can have a go before you start your tens-of-hours game.

Okay, so games where it’s mages and stuff are fairly self-explanatory, you’re probably going to be lobbing fireballs and healing and chucking lightning at people. The uninitiated may not be grabbed by the description of biotics though, so why not provide the option of having a ten minute play with them?

“People like to play as shootyman” stat doesn’t tell anybody, least of all Bioware, anything that we don’t already know, so maybe what they’ll take from it is that they could bear to sell the other classes a little more.

• ScubaMonster says:

A smart dev team wouldn’t base everything for the sequel on some stats. Sure they could look at things to see how they could make it more interesting, but saying, “Well not many people played that, so let’s just toss it out the window entirely” is a bit ridiculous. I think Bioware is smarter than that. I hope.

• choconutjoe says:

Don’t get to hung up on the wording. “More than every other class class combined” is just a more rhetorically powerful way of saying “over half”.

If 51% of people played as the soldier then that would still be “more than every other class combined”. If Bioware were to then remove classes from the game then they would potentially alienate 49% of their customer base. Hardly a smart move.

It’s probably safe to assume that the different classes will make a comeback in ME3.

• Archonsod says:

They’d have to keep the same classes. Unless they come up with some funky way to explain why your imported character forgot everything he knew about Biotics and learned to fire a machine gun.

• perilisk says:

“Since I wanted to import my save games and don’t play ME1 again as a biotic just to play one in ME2 I sticked with it and probably will in ME3.”

FWIW, you can change your class on import.

10. Dean says:

There’s bound to be more Mass Effect games. Or at least, games set in that universe. Worth remembering this is a much tighter ‘trilogy’ than you normally get, in that your actions in one game effect the next. ME3 will be the final adventure of Shepherd, but there’s bound to be another trilogy of Mass Effect games out at some point (perhaps even with a different name.)

11. Urthman says:

Mass Effect 3: Male Space Marine Adventures!

• sneetch says:

Now with 15% less conversation!

• Kevin says:

Hopefully by “Space Marine” you mean Sheperd gets back-up organs, chainswords, fully-automatic rifles that shoot rocket propelled bolts, sealed into a 9 ft. tall power armour, and indoctrinated into religious zealotry and utmost loyalty to the Emperor.

12. Daniel Rivas says:

“33 hours average completion time? I finished my game in 24 hours, and I did almost all the side quests. What in the Hell were you lot doing?”

Mining.

• mondomau says:

24hrs? Forgive me, but I’m a little dubious unless you did one or all of the following:
      - drastically overestimated the percentage of the side quests you completed
      - spoke to literally no one and skipped all dialogue everywhere
      - did a practice run.
      - Didn’t upgrade or research anything
      - Didn’t explore any non-mission essential planets.

Either way, I can’t help feeling you missed out on a lot of the fun in this game.

But then, so did a lot of people apparently….

• Archonsod says:

20 hours completing the game, 13 hours staring at the slinky dancers in the bar …

• Phinor says:

My first playthrough was around 26 hours and I talked to every NPC I could find, skipped no dialogue, explored every planet, scanned every planet for minerals (though towards the end, I only scanned few major spots per planet). I got every upgrade and did every research. I saved everyone in the end and out of those 26 hours, I spent 4-5 hours outside of the game, alt-tabbed, doing other stuff but the clock kept running.

ME2 is a damn short game if you go forward and don’t spend time running back and forth for no reason. Well maybe not damn short by today’s standards but not a very long one either.

13. Ricc says:

I’m a little scared about stat-driven game design, to be honest. So, most people played Soldier in ME2. Maybe that has something to do with all the chest-high walls in their encounter spaces? I just hope they don’t make it their top priority for ME3 to be the most average game that appeals to everybody in order to sell.

(This also applys to Dragon Age 2, btw.)

• Walsh says:

Old Bioware would use this information to make the least played classes more interesting.

New Bioware, YARRR SOLDIERS ARE THE NEW SHIT

14. ChaosSmurf says:

Male Soldier confirmed for canon.

• TCM says:

I think Bioware is trying very hard to establish there’s no canon.

To that effect, ME3′s default choices will probably be all paragon, just to screw with folks.

15. Bullwinkle says:

Well, at least this will put an end to all the whining about too many characters being white, male, space marines. Oh, who am I kidding.

16. teliach says:

So, how much time till they drop any character costumization from the game and make us all play male soldiers. Their marketing is already on it ignoring completly the possibility that you can play anything but the standard Shepard or Hawke, the new Dragon Age seems to be poiting this way with eleminating all the races, next step no female characters.

Also this quote
    [quote]More and more we’re trying to create something dynamic and exciting like a really great movie and we’re trying to get away from dialogue…[/quote]

Seeems they really want to do fps like CoD or half-life and not roleplaying games.

17. Arnulf says:

Spin-offs are always a possibility.

Most time spent? Nudging a cross-hair over various planets. Really.

Er.. I’m playing the 360 version.

• cjlr says:

No, no. That’s what took most of my time too. The game would have been fifteen hours long if planet scanning and navigating didn’t take an eternity. And that’s on PC. I pity the fool who was stuck with that shit on a gamepad…

18. spinks says:

Ooo, I wish we could see the Dragon Age stats …. *hint*

19. Schaulustiger says:

Seriously, 28 playthroughs? What were those two guys doing? Learning all the dialogue for a theatre reenactment of Mass Effect 2?

Regarding soldier players: I often find it uncomfortable to start a game as a strangely named class I know nothing about (“Vanguard”, “Infiltrator”) because I don’t know if it will suit my play style. So I instead choose something familiar and in 99% of the games it’s the good old soldier class (or its fantasy equivalent: the warrior). I sure know what to expect from that.

20. Schaulustiger says:

Also, looking at all the posts with the “Staring Eyes” tag will give me nightmares tonight.

21. Walsh says:

Why in the future with guns that require no ammo would they replace them with guns that require ammo? Guh.

Why in the future with everyone wearing effective armor and personal shields, would some users suddenly stop wearing shields while wearing armor? Guh.

• bleeters says:

To be fair, infinite ammunition guns and indestructible shields didn’t make for the most compelling shooty wizz-bang experience in Mass Effect 1. Slap a couple of -heat addons into most weapons and you could fire indefinately.

• Dyos says:

There’s something in the lore regarding both of these. It was decided little devices that stored heat (non-heavy weapons do not actually use ammo) and could be ejected prevented overheating, and thus did less damage to the weapons over extended use.

I think the shields were replaced with armor sometimes for the same reason it makes sense in game…different defenses for different attacks.

• cjlr says:

It’s not quite as retarded as suddenly restricting ammo – but it is stupid.

Core ejection disposes of a large amount of waste energy almost instantly – instead of merely letting it radiate gradually. However the difficulty lies in expected us to believe that the addition of the former capacity somehow removes the latter.

I’d agree that the cooldown rates from ME1 were too high – but it seems to me an ideal solution is, durr, both? Finite cores for maintaining high rates of fire – but a slow energy dissipation (much slower than ME1, but still several shots per minute) so that we don’t have to pretend all weapon designers in Mass Effect are idiots. Also, it would mean that if you suck you wouldn’t be able to leave yourself with no “ammo” left. And have to fo on biotic and melee only rampages. Actually though I did that for fun sometimes, but still! Point still stands.

As for armour/shields/health – that was very, very obviously a way to cram in a rock paper scissors mechanic were a is good v shields, b is good v armour, and c is good v health. At least higher end enemies (and higher difficulties) give most of the bad guys both.

22. Jamesworkshop says:

Looks like i’m a somwhat typical player

male default face
    Infiltrator
    completion time with all DLC 45 hours
    2 playthroughs
    No import save
    All loyalty mission complete
    all side quests complete

23. LukeE says:

I did try to play through the other classes… but I just couldn’t do it.

Every time I’ve played ME and ME 2 I’m a sentinel. The others just really don’t work for me.

24. Kali says:

@disperse

I “skip dialogue” in the sense that I can read faster than they speak. I turn on subtitles and blast through the text, skipping the voiceovers where possible.

I’m not sure if the OP meant that or not, but that’s the way I do it.

25. Butterbumps says:

“…I’m a little sad that they’re only talking about this being a trilogy. Still, it’s not like games haven’t escaped their status as a trilogy in the past. C’mon, moneymen of the games industry. Don’t fail me now.

Eh, much as I enjoy the ME universe, I think I would be happier for Bioware to move on to something different (of similarly high quality, of course) after three Mass Effects.

26. Fred Wester, CEO of Paradox says:

I wonder why the skipped-conversation was so high. Was that due to people replaying? I’d love to get my hands on all of the raw stats, but that’ll never happen :(

• Freud says:

You don’t really need to read the dialog. If you play as a good guy, you pick the blue when available. If you play as the bad guy, you pick the red. You never can go wrong.

• Serenegoose says:

When do they decide if you ‘skipped’ dialogue? Is it if you hit escape before the voice actor is done? I do that all the time, but I read all the dialogue, I’m just too impatient to always wait for the guy to finish saying something I’ve already read. Do I count as a dialogue skipping stat? Probably.

27. Tadhg says:

Those stats are not at all surprising.

It’s not really very clear why one character over another is a useful choice in the game from the start, nor why the gender choices might matter (they don’t) so a whole load of players are basically just zipping through those parts pretty quickly.

The most interesting stat for me is the 50% completion rate. It speaks volumes about game “storytelling” that most games with such apparently compelling narratives (Yes, I am being sarcastic here) are actually not completed. Clearly the interest level drops long before the official story gets the game anywhere.

28. Tony M says:

Remember how you played games before you wrote about games for a living? Thats what we were doing.

• Urthman says:

Yes. Writing about games is probably second only to working in QA for games as a way to ruin gaming for you.

• Quintin Smith says:

I was playing it for fun! I shouldn’t be blitzing games when I’m playing them for fun. This is messed up.

• Manley Pointer says:

Pretty much everyone I know finished this game in under 25 hours, and none of them were game reviewers. I actually think the more common stereotype is “game reviewers are worse at games than normal gamers,” where commenters/bloggers bitch about how some critic missed an important detail about their favorite game, or misrepresented it as being too difficult.

ME2 was an easy game and I think everyone with a rudimentary grasp of Gears-em-up gameplay would have breezed through it on the default difficulty. I imagine they balanced it specifically so they would have a higher completion rate (and 50% is one of the highest percentages I’ve seen for a game that tracked those stats) and nobody would get hung up on a hard sequence. Even the original ME was significantly harder.

• Clovis says:

I don’t think it took some players longer because of the difficulty. I only died a few times, but it did take me almost 40 hours to finish. Playing in short sessions probably added a good amount of time. The Normandy took forever to load for some reason. I tended to wander around a lot looking for every possible item. I spent way too much time mining and ended up with a big surplus at the end. It’s not like I even mined every planet or something.

Oh, then there’s the reading. Maybe a lot of players actually read (or listened to) the Codex*. I read quite a bit of it. I also read almost every planet description in the game for some reason. I visited every planet to make sure to not miss a side quest. That one with the freighter teetering on a cliff was pretty cool, so I was glad I did that.

* No, that’s impossible.

• Bluebreaker says:

I just used a memory editor to skip resources gathering.

I know I missed some random missions with random enemies in a generic map and a random reward “email”. But it is worth it.

Without resource grinding, it will last even las than 20 hours.

• Ian says:

Quinns got through it pretty fast because it to complete it you don’t need iron.

• Shagittarius says:

I never managed to get through either of these boring Ass Fest games. If I wanted to be bored to death I could do it for free by watching Soap Operas, which is all Ass Effect is.

When I play a game I actually want something to play, not a choose your own adventure with graphics.

• Kadayi says:

Games are like wine, what’s the rush?

29. goatmonkey says:

I skipped some dialogue in my second and current playthough, I used soldier as my first class as I couldn’t get into mass effect 1 with the other classes till I unlocked the assault rifle, though I have subsequently enjoyed infiltrator and vanguard more, I only used the face editor on my female playthough as the default Shepard looked better than anything I could create, I guess my playthroughs with dlc are about 30 – 40 hours.

In me3 I will most likely use infiltrator as my default class

30. Colthor says:

33 hours average completion time? I finished my game in 54 hours, and probably missed something somewhere. What in the hells were you lot doing, speedruns?

Female Human Pinball was fun, after you got some decent powers to use. Soldier sounded boring.

31. tekDragon says:

The choice of playing a female character in any 3rd person game is rather straightforward. Who’s ass would you rather stare at for 33 hours (on average). A pretty girl’s or some burly dude’s? No contest.

• Miko says:

The burly dude’s, duh.

YMMV.

• Shagittarius says:

YMCA

• Hidden_7 says:

That’s if that is a relevant factor for you. I don’t tend to notice my character’s asses. I’m more concerned about who I’m going to be for 30+ hours. If asses come up, it’s more which asses would I rather be “tapping”, the burly guys or the sultry alien ladies?

• Male Shepard says:

no sane male- gay or not- would think about staring at the ass of the protagonist of a videogame. What about looking at the, I don’t know, the rest of the game?

In fighting games, do you pick females characters because you don’t want to risk looking at the biceps and pecs of the male character and get an hard-on?

I’m not accusing you of being gay. I don’t think a gay would stare at shepard’s ass or at ken’s pecs. I am just accusing you of being a weirdo for even thinking about the problem.

32. Alphabet says:

@Sneech

Win.

33. fuggles says:

I played as femshep as PCG told me to, insinuating that by playing as male shepherd you get a much worse voice actor, and spoilers in the character description on ME1.

Obviously my ME2 character is just my ME1, but imported.

I played as soldier as it’s the most commanderly and badass sounding to me. Engineers fix things under the captain’s instruction and biotic is a type of yogurt, and damned if I’m playing as a yogurt.

34. Tei says:

50% completed the game? thats a huge achievements. Congrats!
    I have the idea that most games only manage a 20% or something like that, often much less. That a game manage 50% and 33 hours of play, mean has “sticky powers” for 16.5 hours!!. Imagine this compared to a movie that feels long if last more than 1.8 hours.

• Gundrea says:

Yeah I mean I’d consider myself a gamer yet when I look back on my catalogue I see at least half my games lying uncompleted. not due to any kind of disgust or protest, just I lost interest.

• Butterbumps says:

I don’t think movie length is really a useful comparison here, since movies are generally meant to be consumed in one sitting, and games aren’t.

A much more helpful comparison for Mass Effect 2 specifically (and some games in general, I suppose) is to a season of a TV series. ME2 is structured very similarly (and here I’m talking more about modern, continuity-having shows): there’s an overarching story, broken down into individual episodes (missions), which may be related to a greater or lesser extent to the overall plot. Mostly the missions focus on the development of one (or not much more than one) character. ME2 even has a Lower Deck episode.

Also, a game like ME2 would tend to be consumed in the same way you’d (or in the way that I would, at least) watch a box set of a TV show: usually a few mission/episodes at a time, or a longer binge if I have the time.

I don’t know if all of this has anything to do with ME2′s relatively high completion rate. Maybe the player is more likely to keep going back if it’s for “just one more mission”, instead of for some undeliniated chunk of however much game is left.

Anyway, I’ve typed enough for now, RAMBLE MODE OFF.

• Archonsod says:

Possibly not even that.

You can get some hilarious stats just looking at Steam’s achievement stats. Apparently, 22.2% of Empire players have failed to take a single region in the game, while 8.2% of Napoleon players have failed to start a single campaign, battle or historical battle.

• DrGonzo says:

Well I often get Steam achievements disappear or not register. I wonder how much that effects Steam’s stats?

35. cjlr says:

My first game took 33 hours! What a coincidence.

Of course, I also completed every single quest, and listened to at least 80-90% of the dialogue (though I admit to just reading and skipping through duller bits). And I even took the time to scan every. last. fucking. planet. Just to be sure I didn’t miss anything. ALL of that – every POSSIBLE THING – to do in the game, and it still only took 33 hours. HOW DO YOU TAKE LONGER??

36. plugmonkey says:

I feel I’m writing the fiction more than acting it out myself, so I create whatever character I think will be most interesting within the setting: be that good or evil, male or female.

For me, sci-fi settings seem ripe for a strong female character in the Sarah Conner / Ellen Ripley / Aeryn Sun mold. I find that more interesting than some meathead jock, so I have a female Shep, and Jennifer Hale plays that role very well, so it’s all good.

37. Joe The Wizard says:

All these stats do is make me want to play ME2 again.

38. Sagan says:

I skipped none of the dialogue, but I guess I show up in their statistic as skipping 100% of the dialogue. Simply because I always read faster than the actors talk, and then click to proceed the dialogue. Which is a sign of weak voice acting, because in real life people don’t talk slower than they read.

I guess that also accounts for the long completion time. If people actually listen to all of the slow dialogue, that takes a long time.

• AndrewC says:

Yes they do speak slower then they read.

• cjlr says:

Everybody reads faster than they talk, don’t they? I thought?

But, even if you say that reading something takes just as long as saying it – when it’s already written to recite – then at the very least one might grant that reading something already written is faster than thinking of it to say as you go along, neh?

I always skipped a few seconds ’cause there’s always a second-ish long pause when switching between speakers or lines. Very annoying. Breaks flow. Should be able to crossfade already queued speech. Especially for characters who talk fast.

• Ovno says:

@ in real life people don’t talk slower than they read.

Yes they do much much much slower…

Adults read at 200 – 250 wpm on average, whereas the best source for a good speaking speed I could find quoted audiobooks at 150–160 wpm, so thats arround 65% faster reading than speaking which is a massive differance…

• Sagan says:

OK maybe I was wrong, but I still maintain that the voice actors speak slowly or do something else which makes it boring to listen to them.

39. bleeters says:

I’m going to assume that 15% of skipped dialogue consisted of every word that came out of drab, monotone male Shepard’s mouth. It would certainly explain how, apparently, virtually everyone withstood it for 33 hours.

Personally, I only lasted as long as it took him to utter “And they don’t send Spectres on shakedown runs”.

40. sonofsanta says:

Hopefully they will think “80% of people played as soldiers? We need to make the other classes cooler/better explained” and not “everyone loved the way we streamlined ME1 down into ME2, let’s streamline out all those other classes!”

I mean, I played ME1 through, twice, and I still had to spend forever watching the videos on the website to decide which class to go with. Infiltrator was definitely the good choice though, BOOM HEADSHOT.

Would be interesting to see the stats on average paragon/renegade bar at the end of the game, and the split therein between PC and 360. I suspect a lot of people (myself included) still see the “good” options as the “correct” options in a game, and the evil choices are just a different line spoken here and there. I know it’s not so true these days, but the early morality games were a lot like this.

Also I have the suitable levels of middle-class guilt that make me think I’m always being judged, so I’m good even to pretend pixel people.

41. FP says:

The most insane part of this thread is how all you people can remember exactly how long it took you to complete a game half a year ago. I literally couldn’t even remember what class I played until someone mentioned cloaked sniping then I hazily recalled that it was an Infiltrator. Damn my pitiful brain.

42. Binman88 says:

Interesting stuff, though I guess not really surprising. I’m right there with the masses with my male soldier Shepard – but I didn’t muck around with his face in ME2, after realising how fugly my imported ME1 character looked.

Also, I get the feeling those people who adamantly rant on websites that a female Shepard is the only way to play the game and that everyone who thinks otherwise should die in a fire, are the same people who lambaste total strangers via internet forums for liking their steak cooked well done. Maybe I’m the only one who noticed these people. They’re a small group, but a vocal one.

(FYI, I like mine medium-well)

Video games.

43. Clovis says:

So 80% of players made the obvious choice of Soldier. Big deal. It’s not like 80% of players picked a Barbarian vs. Wizard/Thief in a single character RPG. If you read anything about the game and knew how the combat system worked, why would you pick any other class?

Oh boy, I got cool powers, but I spend most of my time shooting weaker weapons than the soldier. It just seemed logical to pick the soldier and rely on your teammates for the various powers. Since you can control exactly when and where they use their powers, I don’t see how you lose anything. Blowing dudes heads off in slo-mo seemed much more useful than my main character having some biotic power or something. What am I missing?

I was probably doing it wrong or something. The only powers I really cared much about were the ones to drop the various types of shields (or robot kiling if appropriate). After that, I could drop any enemy quickly myself.

• bleeters says:

Squad mate damage is, with a couple of exceptions, 45% lower than your own. This applies to any biotic and tech powers they may throw around too, which also have a longer cooldown than your own versions.

What was that about knowing how the combat system worked?

• bleeters says:

…Good grief, that made me sound like a total dick. Let me try again.

The most used abilities I personally threw around are ones that jam shields and remove armour. Using those abilities yourself means those defences are stripped at a far quicker rate, which is fairly useful when you’ve a hard difficulty heavy mech stomping in your direction. Also, squad abilities land where you point them. You’re able to ‘aim’ far more when using them yourself, arching them around corners and the like, hitting targets that’re behind cover.

Sure, it’s not necessarily better than headshotting folk with a sniper rifle, but it’s not particularly worse either.

• Thants says:

The cool powers is the reason to choose another class. Mass Effect doesn’t strike me as the right game to minmax.

44. Eddeman says:

I started out in ME1 as a male vanguard, then I upgraded my PC and forgot to keep my savegame and started over as a female soldier, because I figured I was better at shooting than the AI and I could always just use their powers as my own anyway. Imported my save to ME2 and played through it so I will definitely stick to it in ME3 just because I spent so much time on it.

Having said that, I guess it’s about time I try out the other classes. Shooting people in the face tends to get boring in the long run, specially when the assault rifle was so good at turning heads into swiss cheese.

45. Sobric says:

I tried playing other classes after my first play through as a Vanguard. It just couldn’t get very far. Where’s my ZZSHOOOOOOOOOM KEERSPLAT *slow-mo* HEADSHOT, HEADSHOT, HEADSHOT *relax*?

46. Aemony says:

I pretty much did the same thing as Lack_26. Not really every single planet, but about 50% of them all. The average time is probably before they changed the scanning to be easier, and not such a tedious and unimportant job. But… Now whenever I play through the game I get all those goddies you get for having a ME1-character at lvl. 60 as well as already finished the game once and all that kind of stuff. I don’t think I ever required to scan a planet to finish my second playthrough…

I might be wrong, but scanning is pretty much useless after the first playthrough.

47. Markachy says:

Casting my physics-master-degree-trained eye of skepticism on conclusions drawn from data, first of all I for one leave my game on pause for quite significant periods of time, and even occassionally accidentally left it unpaused for maybe an hour at at time in-game, in a non-combat area. Just through laziness/forgetfulness. This would push my “playing time” artificially high. Maybe not many other people do this?

Also on the dialogue-skipping part, 15% is an amazing result, but I have just done a playthrough where I skipped the majority of the dialogue because I knew it all and was just replaying to try out another class in combat. This sort of thing would also surely make that number artificially high as I would expect a fair number of people who have replayed it quite a bit did the same. So maybe that number should be even lower, even more impressive!

PS Engineer never appealed to me. Having said that, neither did soldier. I am a freak! But seriously though, WHY when you have the opportunity to be a badass, cloaked sniper, a charging shotgun nutter or a biotic chucking the bad guys left, right and centre?!

If you haven’t tried a pull-throw or pull-slam adept build yet, get on it. They go FLYING!

• JimRyanor says:

I’m replaying the game as an Adept and I’d be having much more fun if there were a lot less Blue Suns. Bloody shields :(

• Markachy says:

Yeah, I played it on Hardcore (the one below insanity) so there were shields and armour everywhere! I reckon an adept playthrough on the lowest 2 difficulties would be ludicrous fun, if way too easy.

Advice: either get the Kasumi DLC and use the Locust(?) a lot or choose assault rifle training. I was using the Mattock from the Firepower DLC (very powerful) but the Collector assault rifle would absolutely DESTROY shields easily.

Seriously though, check out pull+slam(crippling version)/throw combos. Adept really benefits from retraining powers to try out different combos, that particular combo is a lot of fun because the cooldown is really low so you can blast people about everywhere!

• Mana_Garmr says:

@Markachy
      I had a lot of fun with Adept on veteran too. The Reaper IFF mission in particular was great because of all the ledges. I spent a huge amount of that mission watching husks run toward me while I just stood there going
      Throw…throw…throw…whoops, there’s 4 of them, shockwave…throw…etc.

It was especially enjoyable due to how annoying I found abominations on my previous playthrough as they always seemed to get close enough to do damage with the explosion.

• Markachy says:

Most fun I found unexpectedly was using Dominate (the bonus power you get from Morinth) on Abominations. Its hilarious to see them turn and stumble towards their Husk buddies, blowing them to smithereens. That was on Insanity also!

PS Insanity+Widow Infiltrator=fairly easy

48. Bloodloss says:

The 66 hour thing is as if it’s specifically referring to me. I did it in 65 hours 47 minutes. How did I manage this? I’m not entirely sure myself honestly. Sometimes I’ll take longer than average to finish a game… usually not double the average though.

• Dean says:

Err, you left it on stood somewhere safe and went to have dinner a few times? I do that all the time… I try and remember to pause but often fail.

49. deimos says:

Pfff. I used 2 male and 4 femsheps afterwards.

50. Bhazor says:

So 80% of the population are idiots. I knew it.

Comment on this story