Apox Announcement And Beta Sign-up

By Jim Rossignol on September 9th, 2010 at 5:59 pm.

Tiny men in the post-apocalyptic future, yesterday.
BlueGiant Interactive, an indie studio apparently based in Hyderabad, India, send word of their debut game, Apox. It’s a post-apocalyptic RTS with some fun features, such as unit posture, veterancy, and on-the-fly ad hoc stuff like being able to place different units in vehicles. With 32-players. Which sounds like a lot for an RTS. Yeah, it’s looking like it might sit down the more offbeat end of the RTS spectrum, and it’s got a lot of flamethrowers, as you can see in the debut video below. It’s even going to ship with a map editor and 100 (count ‘em!) maps. But that’s not all, because they’re also taking beta applications now. Go here if you’re interested in that. And why wouldn’t you be, if you are not John Walker?

, , .

1. Goofus says:

There sure is a lot of napalm in that post-apocalyptic future.

• Daave says:

Clearly petrol and orange juice survived the apocalypse.

• l1ddl3monkey says:

A company that firmly believes in the “kill it with fire” ethos,

Flamethrowers in post apocalyptic settings kind of have a double edge to them; On the one hand they’re actually pretty easy things to make. On the other hand: where does the fuel come from?

• Daave says:

Jay Leno’s personal resevoir. This explains where all the orange juice comes from as it must be set in California!

• Alex says:

Chicken shit.

2. Dood says:

Watching this video makes me hope for a decent Warzone 2100 successor . That game was ace.

Shakermaker says:

An indie studio from India and no puns? For shame!

stahlwerk says:

The game looks nice, a bit hectic perhaps, but maybe you can distribute micro of one faction between players? The music in the trailer was cool, too, not your run-of-the-mill militaristic ooh-ra reinterpretation of Hell March.

If something like an “apocalypse” would actually happen, would it really accelerate desertification? I can’t see e.g. canada’s or scandinavia’s forests ever being replaced by sand and highways, just because nukes / neutron bombs went off above the capitals of the world.

• Hidden_7 says:

No, it would probably result in a nuclear winter, so if there were deserts it would be more of the arctic variety.

However, that’s not the classic iconic look, is it?

Also judging from the bits of ruined building and freeway this was nowhere near any vast swathes of forest.

stahlwerk says:

hm, true, but where did all the sand come from? ;-)

I like to think that the “classic iconic look” of post-apocalypse = nevada was born out of the B-movie necessity to avoid paying for inner-city filming permits.
      Also the actor’s/photographer’s union won’t find you in the middle of nowhere.
      Also cheap lighting and predictable weather.

• Hidden_7 says:

Well, that and Road Warrior was the trope codifier for a lot of those things, and it was set in the outback.

Regardless of the reasons the look developed, it’s become the look, so it’s the quick go to. If you want to do something different, like the freezing ash of The Road, well… you’re necessarily doing something different then, with all that entails.

5. Jake says:

Reminds me a bit of KKnD, wonder if there are any missile crabs.

• perestroika says:

i was going to post this too. kknd was the first thing that came to mind,

• Navagon says:

Yeah, it reminded me of KKND too. Like a cross between that and a fast paced modern RTS like World in Conflict.

JB says:

I still have the KKND comic (somewhere), poster (same place), tshirt and hip flask that I won back in the day in a competition.

Yay KKND! Got to love the shotgun-toting, six-legged-wolf-riding mutie dwarves!

6. Toby says:

That looks very good actually. A post apoc rts sounds good in my ears.

7. Dlarit says:

I thought of mad max when i saw this.

The beta sign up site is down :-(

8. Swanky says:

32 player RTS? Point me at ‘em!

9. medwards says:

I feel like they’ll have to capture resource scarcity well to make a 32 player map really interesting for all involved. Like obviously force the early game into brutal tiny clashes over basic resources, but don’t make them infinite gold mines. This would make mid-to-late game more interesting with the question of “Do I attack to seize the nearly played out gold mine and lose a pile of my units in the process… or do I form an alliance of convenience with its owner so I can go after the guy I *actually* want to take down.”

I mean they could just have 32 players beat eachothers skulls in with infinite gold mines, that would just be a re-skin of standard genre tropes then. I’m sure theres a market for it, but it wouldn’t be for me. Looking forward to hearing from beta signups about which way it goes.

10. Thristhart says:

You mean like this?

11. Thristhart says:

Oh goody my first reply fail. That was supposed to be @Dood

12. Heliocentric says:

The bullet point of “32 players” massively puts me off.

Can you imagine facing a clan with 32 pubbers?

• Hidden_7 says:

I adore the term “pubber.” It’s often said in a context that suggests derision. Even its very form seems mildly pejorative.

Yet what it’s referring to is people who have a multiplayer game, and then play it. They log on to a server, probably the lowest ping one playing the map/mode they want to play at the time, and then play for a bit. And then they stop playing and they go do other things. They don’t spent any extra time seeking out a slightly closed-knit community to play the game with on private servers, they don’t join a clan to practice with or play in any organized competition. They just play the game sometimes.

The pubber, then, is the person who doesn’t turn a spot of diversion into a hobby.

This may sound like I’m deriding the people who DO turn it in to a hobby, and I’m really not. I certainly have lots of things in my life that I spend way more time on than the average person. Gaming, in general, is a good example. However, I always find it amusing that there’s this term, that is at times mildly to overtly derisive, for the people who DON’T get more involved in their multiplayer games. It would like having a term for people who just watch movies at the cinema sometimes, as opposed to people who read movie blogs and websites and keep abreast of films in development and post on movie themed forums. All angrily posting on a forum “I went to see Latest Film Release on the weekend and the theatre was absolutely PACKED with damn blockbusters.”

I should point out here that this wasn’t necessarily directed toward you, Heliocentric, just an observation on the way I’ve seen the term “pubber” used generally around the sundry internets.

• Heliocentric says:

Pubbers and clanners are just distinctions to me. I’m both in different games.

But to me, pubbers play games, clanners work them.

13. JonFitt says:

Men of Future War?

I’d prefer it slowed down a notch or two.

JB says:

I does look a bit “Men of War”-ish, maybe that’s partly down to the unit posture thing. I wonder if you can collect the hats of your fallen enemies in Apox though?

14. markcocjin says:

I think I might have been spoiled by current RTS games but this has no physics engine. I love the Mad Max theme. I’m thinking that they really needed that 32 player max limit just to accommodate the gaming population of India.

Take note that for some people, the look of the game does not necessarily mean post apocalyptic but how things really are in their part of the world.

15. TheCentralGovernment says:

Yay! (from India)

16. Wertymk says:

India you say? Mute the voice from the video, play tunak tunak tun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bAN7Ts0xBo) in the background. Hilarity ensues.

17. pupsikaso says:

I am so disappoint. Clearly this trailer should have been accompanied by the Made In India song.

18. Tei says:

My problem with this video is that use exactly 3 wav’s, and 2 animations. These are very low production values, man.

19. dadioflex says:

Looks fun. What I’d really like is a modern, slightly better Soldiers of Anarchy. With the original music, obviously.

drewski says:

I’m John Walker.

21. Torgen says:

Wow, that screenshot looks extremely “Borderlands”-ish.

22. CloakRaider says:

It looks a bit…outdated. I’m sure it’ll be fun with 32 players right?

23. bill says:

I have 2 questions:

1 – What are the cars for? It looks awesome in it’s mad-max style, but it must be hard to use fast moving cars in an rts, and they seemed to just move forward, explode and (maybe) provide cover.

2 – Can I strap captured enemies to the front of my car and then torture them?

oh, and actually I have a third. Do I get leather bound gimps/pets/punk dolls?

24. day says:

Now this might just get me into RTS’s.
    I (don’t) like how everyone runs at exactly the same speed/animation.. like ants.

25. Surgeon says:

Anyone one else got a beta invite for this?