More Firefall Footage From PAX

By Jim Rossignol on September 9th, 2010 at 2:05 pm.

Ooh, I just noticed GameTrailers grabbed a developer walkthrough for MMO-shooter hybrid Firefall, which I’ve posted below. It shows a bunch of the weapons and abilities in action, explains how the missions and freeform stuff works, and goes into some detail on the game’s hub areas. The footage explains how those provide you with new weapons and equipment, and shows how battles take place around them. It’s worth noting that it’s going to be a cash-item driven free-to-play game, but developers Red 5 have said that the cash items won’t produce unfair benefits for individuals. It’ll be interesting to see how that pans out, and we’ll be talking Red 5 soon, so we can get some more detail on that and the rest of the game.

But going back to what I was saying about the quality of free online games appearing on PC now, well, when you see stuff like this, it’s beginning to feel like a big deal. If Blizzard really are making a shooter for their next MMO, as was rumoured last year, then they must be looking at games like this with great interest.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Dain says:

But are any of these shooters going to me true massively multiplayer shooters like Planetside, or are they all going to be lots of instanced maps vaguely linked by an overarching social world? At the moment it seems unlikely.

• AndrewC says:

The video says otherwise. You should watch it!

• Sobric says:

Well, I’m not sure where you picked up that impression, as the video seems to suggest a persistent world approach.

What I’ve not heard much about, however, is the PvP side of Firefall. Their Forum’s Q&A suggests that there will be PvP, but I’d like more details.

• Tei says:

We need to look at the other video, because I think the other video have the same explosions on the same moment, the same sniper shots: read maybe all the whole flyiing thing is scripted, included background activity. It will be rare, if thats is the cause, but if is not scripted, then looks a bit too responsive and smooth to be a MMO. I have no idea, really.

• Dain says:

there must surely be some sort of instancing going on in the missions you can go and do – otherwise you’ll have people dropping those thumper things on top of other people’s thumpers and other overcrowding issues?

• DrGonzo says:

Well even if it is instanced like Guild Wars it still looks fun.

• Rush Ton says:

At the end of the video they say the game features a large Open world co’op space suggesting the Co-op is not instanced or atleast not heavily instanced.

• Tacroy says:

Tei: I think it was a scripted runthrough of a specific part of the game they were just playing through over and over again – summon the thumper, defend the thumper, find the elite armor, go to the dropship, scenic dropship flight (which probably took the same route and had the same background action every time), mess around in town for a little bit, equip elite armor, town assault, man the turret, get blown up by giant thingy. The sequence of events is constant, but the little details (like who the player shoots at, when they use specific abilities) are different.

• Duoae says:

I think he says in the video that it’s around 100 people at a time – so instanced but on a larger scale than just a few people.

• Tei says:

Ok. I have made a frame by frame comparative.
      This
      vs

It looks to me like the background activity on the fly part is scripted, the explosions are similar, the sniper shots, even the “mammoth” like monsters relative position.

Of course, this means nothing. This is just a demo, the demo can be scripted because exist for demonstration purposes.

What Tacroy say seems Ok to me.

2. Sp4rkR4t says:

Well that looks pretty damn epic, let me play now please I’ll probably be dead of chronic boredom by the end of 2011.

3. neolith says:

Aw… why does this have to be F2P?

• Mitza says:

So you would pay 60$ rather than playing it for free?

• Bossman says:

The problem with F2P games is that if you want remain competitive you either have to spend tons of money or grind many hours a day.

• ScubaMonster says:

Yeah exactly. I’ve never once saw a F2P that wasn’t crippled in some capacity without paying. And it ends up being a lot more expensive than a one time flat fee. Or even monthly fees for that matter.

• Garg says:

League of Legends and Company of Heroes Online both spring to mind as F2P games where you don’t have to pay a penny to actually enjoy the games.

• Dominic White says:

Atlantica Online works pretty well without spending money, too. You can pay for some convenience features, though, like fast-travel.

Most of the action-style MMOs seem to emphasize player skill over investment, too.

Really, people need to just get over this bizarre, irrational fear of free games.

• D says:

I think for my part, I’ve just associated F2P games with games that suck. I don’t really understand the model of giving away something free, to be handed chump change down the line later (hopefully!) versus selling the game as a service for $15 every month.

So when I hear that a game is going to be F2P, I’m thinking to myself “So they’re betting the house that I wouldn’t touch their game if I had to pay for it.” And it doesn’t inspire me to think highly of the game, usually.

FireFall looks really cool. I’m wondering what core mechanic they couldn’t get to work.

• Dominic White says:

“I think for my part, I’ve just associated F2P games with games that suck.”

And they did, back in the day. Things have changed a lot in the past few years. Unfortunately, a lot of PC gamers are so set in their ways that they aggressively reject the very concept of the business model.

4. Radiant says:

Looks great.
    But MMNO.

5. Jimmy Jazz says:

Hrm, this looks quite interesting, and amazing for a free game.

Although I’m not sure if the Dynamic mission thing would be annoying or awesome. mainly because I imagine this: you’re trudging back from a mission, low on health, hoping to recover and relax for a mome- NO, GIANT BUG, FIGHT IT… ‘kay he’s dead go ahe- AHH PEOPLE ARE ATTACKING US HALP.

Ect…

6. Andrige says:

…this game for free? Honestly, something is wrong here.

7. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I wonder how this compares to, say, Brink or Global Agenda.

8. BigJonno says:

I’m hoping that they’ll do the item stuff right and offer shitloads of funky customisation pieces for a reasonable price. If the game is good enough, lots of people will happily pay a small amount of money for a shiny hat.

• D says:

It’s fairly sure to have XP% bonus and credit% bonuses also, which (established by precedent) does not “give anyone an unfair advantage.”

9. WiPa says:

But i don’t have 100 friends. :(

10. Frye says:

I do love the art style of this one. And it looks like it plays well if that makes any sense.

(Your screenshot is a bit of a mess though, lower jpg compression perhaps?)

11. dayeight says:

I have to say, other than a crash which we edited out, this was one of the best, most succinct, demos I’ve seen in a long time. Good show. Just hope Nexon doesn’t end up publishing.

12. Achtung_Englander says:

wow – generic shooter. well done

• Stabby says:

No.. Modern Warfare 2 or Medal of Honour are generic shooters. This is a game with jetpacks and shockwaves and loot. Other than the shooting part, there’s nothing that generic about it.

13. FRIENDLYUNIT says:

I’m really looking forward to this one and hoping it doesn’t suck. Yeah, I’m scared by the free to play thing too.

Maybe it gets us a tiny, tiny bit closer to Planetside 2. Maybe.

• Surgeon says:

We can but hope.
      What we need is for games like this to be successful, and for publishers to realise that the MMOFPS space isn’t a huge gamble.
      Maybe then we can start moving away from the mass saturation of MMORPG’s, and start getting some mass saturation of persistently being able to shoot people in the face.

14. noah says:

releases at end of 2011? who will care about it then?

15. lethu says:

Each time I see these vids, I really want to give this game its chances, but something (which you may call intuition) tells me it’s going to get fairly quickly repetitive and boring once you get inside it. Remember Section 8? It was all flashy and full of promises in the same way (I know its not the same genre, the former being an MMOFPS and the latter an OnlineFPS), but how did it end up?

Just my opinion… I don’t hate this game, it’s perhaps worse, I am indifferent to it.