First Official Starcraft 2 Custom Map. Yes.

By Kieron Gillen on September 10th, 2010 at 1:30 pm.

That map sure looks customs to me.

It’s Friday, so time to quickly nose around and see if there are any key stories we’ve missed. And Blizzard releasing their first official custom map for Starcraft 2? That’s a key story. Not an enormous key, like the one Superman uses to keep his Fortress of Solitude locked, but certainly some manner of key. Perhaps one for a padlock for a bike or something. ANYWAY! The map’s called Burning Tide and is basically a 3v3 map riffing off the Devil’s Playground mission from the campaign, with all the fun rising and lowering lava flows and desperate rushing to get Ore. Or, as I prefer to call it “Space-Iron”. You’ll find it in your Custom Games folder in Starcraft II if you just play now.

, , .

1. JackShandy says:

Why no Starcraft 2 Wot I think? Did I miss it? I know there was the transcribed initial impressions chat.

2. bleeters says:

Oddly, that was the one mission which bored me, mostly due to it being considerably less hassle to churn out marauders for a while and obliterate everything than it was to actually complete your objectives.

3. Brumisator says:

Thanks for telling me we’re friday, I had no idea.
    (No, I’m not actually kidding).

I was half-expecting activision to release this kind of stuff in a paying DLC.

• Rich says:

It’s been pointed our before, but Blizzard is (almost) completely autonomous, and receives little or no pressure from Activision to do anything. At least that’s what recent interviews have said.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Which on at least a couple of levels is bullshit.

Bobby Kotick’s smile is in the shadows somewhere there. I KNOW IT!

4. Rinox says:

Is it in the MP rotation too? Because I usually play in teams and I dread anything requiring even more micro than my Zerg already do (oh God the larvae spawning, the overseer scouting, aaargh).

I know you can ask to not play some maps regularly but that’s not waterproof either.

5. gromit says:

No it’s not on the rotation. As per all “custom” maps you need to join/create a custom game to play it.

6. Jutranjo says:

It’s not in the rotation, you have to select it from the custom game list.

Sagan says:

Yay for free stuff!

Stuff like this makes me glad that we have Blizzard and Valve, who show how to properly support a multiplayer game. I just wish that Modern Warfare 2 would have gotten punished more for releasing a really expensive map pack. That’s no way to treat your community.

8. Burningpet says:

There are already tons of amazing starcraft2 mods, and i think that rps should do a round up as there are some very good gems to be found.

9. FluffyM says:

Sad days when developers get cheered on for releasing a free map.

10. Rick says:

Really hope Blizzard keep at the free maps bit, and release some SP ones down the line. Back in the day, they released a whole mini-campaign for Brood War for free, Enslavers: Dark Vengeance.