Iron Helmet Reveal Blight Of The Immortals

By John Walker on September 10th, 2010 at 12:29 am.

I wish I liked this sort of thing. The fun I'd have : (

You know what I love? Turn-based strategy games! I can’t get enough of them. Ohnowait, I’ve confused me with someone else. But I’m extremely assured by people both taller and wiser than me that others like them a lot. And it will be with no small clamour of excitement that they hear the news that the team behind Neptune’s Pride, Iron Helmet, have announced their new game. It’s called Blight Of The Immortals, and you can expect many more informed details from everyone else who works for this site when they see what a job I’ve made of it.

Once again it’s a game designed to be played online, for a few minutes a day. An online boardgame they describe it. In fact, they describe it like this:

“A new kind of game with the simplicity of a board-game, but online making it easy to connect with your friends, and real-time so the game keeps tick, tick, ticking along.”

But this one’s not in space. It’s in gaming’s other location, fantasyland. Orcs, goblins, walking trees – you know the deal. And they’re all fighting against the zombie Blight. In other words, everyone’s working together. Except, only sort of. Trade and negotiation will be key, and “everybody wins when the Blight is put down.” But there’s a but:

“But the player with the largest empire reaps the most rewards.”

Games are intended to last a few weeks, as you order your armies, build cities, and manage resources, in competition with your chums.

Which basically means it’s a chance for Jim to stab Phill in the back all over again. That’s what Phill tells me, anyway. Of course, the reality is everyone will stab everyone. As proven in our excellent accounts of playing Neptune’s Pride, which you can enjoy all over again here.

Meanwhile, here’s the only screenshot that exists so far:

, , .

1. DMcCool says:

I look foward to the diaries. Having named settlements is a nice touch – adds drama and meaning to the whole event. Also, I hope those names are randomly generated, a. because games will be more personal and b. Savage Fort? Really?

• Rich says:

I won’t be playing this, as I really couldn’t get over the total lack of structure in NP. I’m definitely looking forward to the diaries though.

• Chris says:

I quite enjoyed the game for that same reason Rich.

2. Sporknight says:

Now maybe I’m reading too much into this, but from the looks of the title picture, there are 2 heroes and then their ‘zombified’ versions of them. Perhaps if you get overrun by the Blight, you don’t lose – instead you swap sides and turn on your allies. It would certainly add a level of risk and complexity if you choose to not support your allies, let them fall, and then they turn on you.

• JackShandy says:

That would be a cool way to make failure into success- keep you playing even if you’ve lost, and prevent you from losing interest if you feel like there’s no chance for you to win.

I don’t think those are the heroes, though- judging from the screen shot, they’re just the generic Units.

• P7uen says:

They’re the races you can choose.

But my momma told me we’re all heroes, in our own way.

3. P7uen says:

This doesn’t have as much of an appeal to me as NP (currently on my 80th day in one game) but it is rather fun, it has a very different feel, and much less stressful for those faint hearted of you that felt that way about NP.

@Sporknight
    You will eventually be able to play against others, but competitively against the zombies as I understand it.

• dadioflex says:

I played a few turns of NP and figured it was Farmville all over again.. hear me out! Both games require constant attention.

I used to Play-By-Mail quite a few games. One of which, I THINK it was called Capitol, had four of us that had “met” on the old Micronet network game Starnet for a team of four against, I think three other teams of four. I made massive star maps by sellotaping graph paper together (yes, you can buy big sheets, but it was from a school book and I could barely afford the turns every fortnight as it was). I pored over those maps plotting strategies, and consulting with my allies, for a couple of days before posting off my latest turns. It went on for months before simple economics bankrupted me and I had to drop out. As the complexity increased the number of orders to issue increased and you had to pay extra for each page of orders.

Since then I’ve tried a few of these web games but they invariably mean doing something when I’m supposed to be working, maybe only for a few minutes at a time but it’s still very distracting. Obviously I mean work distracting from the game. Hehe.

• Stromko says:

There’s a massive and drastic difference. For one thing, the fact that Neptune’s Pride runs in real time actually matters, as you are in direct competition over a limited time-frame; games actually end, so time is precious. Secondly, and also very importantly, the key is making the /right/ decisions, not the most.

Every Facebook game I have tried rewards you so long as you keep coming back and keep feeding in the time– Neptune’s Pride, on the other hand, you can actually lose progress because you make bad decisions. You are not explicitly punished for not logging in, your ships will still keep building and will keep fighting, research continues to chug along, everything continues to run except that no decisions are made.

So to reiterate, again, there’s a very big difference in that you’re actually logging in to Neptune’s Pride to make decisions, decisions are the main commodity that it requires the player for. Facebook games just want page views and clicks.

• Stromko says:

I’m not denying that it can take a lot of time, but diplomacy, plotting, planning, all those things require critical thinking and real effort. I believe that is actually good for you. It’s still just a game, the actual course of the game accomplishes nothing, but as a past time I found it both fun and mentally engaging. Pity I haven’t felt like I had the time to commit to another month-long bout of playing.

4. JKjoker says:

damnit, i read the first paragraph and im instantly lured into the article excited as hell

and then this “Once again it’s a game designed to be played online”, … MEH!

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Sort of what my feelings are.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Let me clarify: I’m still somewhat looking forward to the game, and I might try it out if there’s a demo of it, but I’m unlikely to buy it.

• Stromko says:

You’re online right now, engaging in communication with other sentient beings. It’s really not as large a leap as you’d think. There is a certain implied commitment to starting out in a real-time strategy game online that can take a month to finish, but unwillingness to commit can be a vice in itself.

5. A-Scale says:

Link?

6. Fred Wester, CEO of Paradox says:

Looks like a reskinned NP. I hope the “blight” mechanic adds something substantial to it.

• P7uen says:

Not so, Freddy me old mucker.

It plays very differently and has many more co-operative mechanics, far more namby-pamby than NP, but in a good way.

Essentially, if NP is Kieron, Blight is Walker.

7. Dlarit says:

Is that middle portriat John Travolta?

JB says:

From the site – “Play with your friends or take on the Zombie horde alone in maps designed for a single player. ”

Not a bad idea.

9. Dawngreeter says:

I loved Neptune’s Pride. Except for the part where it in no way required just minutes of attention every day. It was quite clear that the player who could log on more often had an advantage. So I stopped playing after one game.

Fede says:

Yes, but this is a problem with all games whose clock goes on in real time.
      I played NP and enjoyed it, but where it fails is at fleet speed tech: the progression should be logarithmic to avoid making it eat way too much time. Right now the game starts slow (as it should) and becomes hectic soon.

• dudekiller says:

Hey, come on, us terminally unemployable types have to have some succour in our pathetic little existences.

Vandelay says:

Ah, that explains why I didn’t understand people saying the person who played the most won. I started playing one game and completely forgot about it after 2 or 3 days. Started playing another one just a few days ago and logging in once a day to spend your income seems to be a perfectly fine way of playing so far. I can imagine that changing once you have umpteen fleets and a high tech on speed.

Hopefully, when they finally release Flash support for my Galaxy S phone (supposedly end of September) I will be able to keep up with it more easily.

10. Skusey says:

Gaming’s third location is Iranistan.

11. itsallcrap says:

*Pegasus* boots.

Probably before your time.

:P

• itsallcrap says:

Nnng. Why does this thing so often ignore the fact that I just clicked on ‘Reply’?

Damn you, WordPress!

12. kulik says:

They have to make it really good to take me interest from Battle of Wesnoth.

13. Miko says:

Oh, maaan. I saw ‘turn based strategy’ and pictures of fantasy-type dudes and for a moment I was hoping there was going to be a PC game along the lines of Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea. But no, it’s some online real-time thing with settlements and trading and whatnot. Now I’ve got SRPG blue-balls.

14. The Pink Ninja says:

I love your gaming diaries beyond all reason so I’m seriously looking forward to this.

Player versus a powerful NPC opponent but with a chance for backstabbing sounds like a dream.

Not fond of the “Playtime=Win”, I much prefer turn based but still…

15. Surpiez says:

Oh look!

Retexturing the same models is a feasible method for creating “unit variety” again.