Gratuitous Payment Options: Nomads DLC

By Kieron Gillen on September 13th, 2010 at 3:30 pm.

Wherever I lay my enormous space battleship, is my home.

Cliffski really does have a knack at this. He’s just released his latest bit of Gratuitous Space Battles DLC, introducing the Nomads, a whole new race with ships, weapons and similar. Oldest race in the galaxy, according to the GSB fiction. But the trick is the spin he’s given to this. There’s two editions of the DLC you can buy. One is $5.99, the other is $2.99. There’s no difference between ‘em. It’s simply an experiment, to try and cater for the people who say they can’t afford that amount of money. Look at your life, decide what you can afford, then pay it. He’s also keeping a running tally of the results. Currently, 28 $5.99 editions and 10 $2.99 editions. And if you’ve never played GSB, you can try the demo. Oh – the new trailer follows.

You can buy both editions from here.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Tom O'Bedlam says:

Oh I say, thats rather clever. Especially with the live tally, well done Cliffski!

Its a shame I don’t really enjoy positech games*, not my cup of tea, because I like the man’s attempts at making sense of the internet.

*Apart from Democracy 2

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Same, really. I liked GSB some (the demo, that is) but not sufficiently to justify the purchase. Although I may be odd in that it’s not necessarily the amount of money, but rather the usage/enjoyment I get out of the game which are the primary factors in whether I purchase a game. Those, and how many games I have on my plate.

But godspeed, Cliffski.

2. Fede says:

Very nice idea! Showing how many he sold might help him get more sales at the higher price.

I hope there will be a single pack with all DLC some time in the future, when he thinks he’s done with GSB and wants to move on and make another game.

• Stromko says:

There was a package on Steam with all the DLC (except this new one) a little while ago. Personally I’m waiting until the meta-campaign comes out before I buy another GSB expansion– simply put, I was never all that interested in new races, the races by necessity of balance can’t really play all that differently after all. I want a new or enhanced playing experience, not just a bunch of new gfx (hulls, reskinned modules) and a couple new components.

3. ggg says:

I wonder if the one is just below what he “planned” to ask and the other is slightly above on what he thought he should ask.

Looking at it that way, he’s ripping guys of because of there love for (indie) games.

• K says:

Nope, the former three Race-DLCs were also 5.99, so there is just “normal” and “cheaper”.

• Uhm says:

Ahh. But, if you look at it where he was planning to charge $754 and break into your home and steal your children, then it looks generous.

• battles_atlas says:

So you read Nudge as well Uhm? Piece of shit, I know.

When’s the GSB’s campaign coming out? I want a story dammit.

4. ggg says:

This DLC might be smaller or less cost expensive though

5. LewieP says:

I think I’m going to wait for the discount edition to get discounted in a sale.

• Rich says:

Ever Lewie the thrifty.

• Zogtee says:

Reading this article, I was going to to buy the more expensive version on Steam just because you dared me, but it’s not on Steam. Wweeeak.

6. SapphireBullets says:

How soon until this DLC gets to Steam? Can you combine a Steam-purchased version of the base game with a non-Steam expansion?

• cliffski says:

you can mix and match however you want. The only problem is that my installer assumes its the positech version, so you have to correct them and browse to where steam (or whoever else) has instaleld the game.
      Other than that, it should work fine.

7. Skurmedel says:

Do one get the original as well (as it is DLC I guess not?) I was thinking of buying it once but I never got around to it.

• Skurmedel says:

I am stupid, cause I didn’t read well enough. I see the game is nineteenish space credits.

8. Dawngreeter says:

Cliffski is awesome. Thumbs up for this experiment man, you rock.

9. G says:

Brilliant idea!

10. Jimbo says:

Ugh.

That is all.

11. Burningpet says:

Does this DLC includes a campaign?

12. Bungle says:

The new trailer doesn’t follow! Stop saying a trailer will follow when it doesn’t!

13. Optimaximal says:

Not so subtle pictures on the buttons there Cliffski…

14. Red Avatar says:

Wow, what can I say about this … As an experiment, the results will be interesting but, sadly enough, completely useless. Such a system would only work now because (a) you make it personal (b) you write a big post explaining it’s an experiment (c) it’s an original approach. If EA and Ubisoft did it for all their games, with no long post preceding the “buy” buttons, the results would be VERY heavily slanted in favour of the discounted version. Just like the “pay what you want” system, its power comes from how unique the system was. Every try to use the same system seems to have been slightly less effective.

15. sinister agent says:

Damn you, Cliffski. You are annoying me with your reasonableness. It is a word, I just decided.

The only thing stopping me from buying (probably the full price version of) this is the fact that I haven’t, and in fact can’t, play GSB yet due to technical issues (which are of my making, not GSB’s, so relax). So, basically I don’t know whether or not I like it enough.

Right now, I’d be plumping for the pricier version, if at all, because I can afford it. A year or two ago, it’d have been the discount version though, so I respect this move a great deal, and hope it works out well both for you and those of us who are in a tight financial spot.

16. Bob's Lawn Service says:

Currently, 28 $5.99 editions and 10 $2.99 editions…

And 10,000 pirated editions.

(Excuse the cynicism. I really hope that this experiment does pay off for his Cliffskiness)

• chanchan says:

> implying it’s worth pirating

• Stromko says:

Are we actually pulling this 10,000 from somewhere, or just an assumption? This is an indie release, and an expansion pack, so I don’t think that many people even register its existence.

I for one am not buying it, but I’m not the least bit tempted to pirate it either. I still haven’t played most of the races I got in that sale on Steam. It’s still going to be the same game, and I haven’t had the time to play what I’ve got let alone want more.

I’m going to be interested when the campaign comes out and makes a substantive change to the way it plays.

17. The Sombrero Kid says:

what’s the status of the campaign mode, does the demo have the campaign mode in it?

18. Loser says:

Put all heaviest(most weapon slots) ships with a single smallest drive and furthest firing weapon in top left corner in triangle shape, win all battles, the end.

What an exciting and challenging game GSB was.

• Stromko says:

You can counter that. Swarms of fast frigates with short-range weapons (which pack a punch far above their weight). Said swarms are themselves countered by a spread-out fleet that causes them to lose cohesion and density, but against a densed packed triangle that’s trapped against one corner of the map they’re devastating. As they come in, the fire will be focused on the lead ships, which are actually pretty hard to hit with long-range weapons due to their speed– a significant number may still die, but it only takes a few fast firing frigates to ruin a cruiser’s day.

It could be seen as a weakness that you pretty much have to redesign your fleet every time to face non-traditional fleets and tactics, but that I believe is a good pattern for a game. It’s almost like a reverse tower defense, you see a fleet (a defensive matrix) and you must determine what attack is going to break it. I know GSB was referred to as a tower defense game before it even came out, but to me it seems like the player is the attacker most of the time, and the defender only when they send out a Challenge fleet.

19. Specter says:

I got my whole GSB collection on steam, hope the new dlc will hit Steam soon. :)