The Magick Touch: Magicka Trailer & Site

By Quintin Smith on September 13th, 2010 at 5:35 pm.

Look! You can see a player mixing elements at the bottom, there.

PC co-op friendly-fire-athon Magicka is out in Q1 2011, and it’s looking tight like a kitten trapped in a coke bottle. How did the kitten get in the coke bottle? Nobody knows. You might as well ask how the awesome got into Magicka. I am quite excited about Magicka, I don’t know if you can tell. You can read my GamesCom impressions here, but basically it’s a game where you all play wizards without having to bother with cooldowns, mana or learning spells, and instead simply mix ten elements on the fly. Some elements react well together, some not so well. There’s a lot of resurrecting your friends, let’s put it that way.

Anyway, as of today there’s a new site up, and another excellent trailer which you can watch just after the jump.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Wolfox says:

That trailer was brilliant.

I’m very excited abou Magicka – I love action RPGs (and in those, I usually play as a magic caster, if one is available), and I always dreamed about a game in which you have this kind of interactivity and flexibility in spellcasting. For all that, I just can’t wait for Magicka. I wish I could play it now.

• A Punctual Nord says:

There was a relatively little known action-rpg by Westwood studios around 2000 called Nox. Best magic system I’ve seen to date.

For a bit of history, the lead designer and programmer for Nox was Mike Booth, the same guy as L4D.

I hope Magicka is good in its own way, but I definitely wouldn’t complain if they took a few pages from Nox.

• Tacroy says:

Nox was absolutely awesome; the only problem with multiplayer was that there really wasn’t any reason to play any of the classes besides the Mage, because Warrior and Druid were kinda dumb (though Druid was better than Warrior). Mage all the way, baby!

It looks like Magicka is fixing that problem :)

2. westyfield says:

I love that you can see the troll’s skeleton when he gets electrocuted!
    Great trailer, my interest just went from zero to highly intrigued.

3. Alexander Norris says:

That video is hilarious. I unfortunately laughed out loud at the “bugs!” bit, and looked a fool for doing so.

4. Sébastien Richer says:

I want this right now! :) Looks so much fun.

5. ZIGS says:

That was quite clever

6. Shakermaker says:

This looks like tons of fun.

7. Pijama says:

“Four-player co-op with an emphasis on accidents and a sense of humour. I said it before and I’ll say it again: this game was made for RPS.”

WE DEMAND A HIVEMIND LET’S PLAY/AAR OF IT.

8. Fred Wester, CEO of Paradox says:

I approve of this message.

9. Snall says:

I have also been super excited to play this.

10. Vaerriek says:

So hilarious, i’m actually posting a comment and dealing with the captcha.

11. Freud says:

But does it have loot?

• Wolfox says:

The focus of the game is using the abilities of your mage. There are a few spells to unlock, and (from what I’ve heard), you can change your staff/sword here in there, but there is no loot in the Diablo/Titan Quest sense, as far as I know. I may be wrong, of course.

• Quintin Smith says:

No, you’re right. It’s an action game, really.

• Jack says:

I’ve heard that loot in this game is easy-come easy-go. You’ll pick up an coolio sword off a dude you killed, but the next time you die it’s gone.

12. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I’ll probably not get this, to my regret. Why? Because it seems made for co-op. And while I’d like to play this co-op, I’ve not been able to find people to play co-op with.

*cricket*

Um. Or I’ve been afraid of asking? Regardless, with co-op partners.. I’m likely to yoink this. Without.. not.

13. Fumarole says:

I too want to electrocute forum trolls.

14. Rane2k says:

“we must use SPELLS to destroy the forum troll!” :-)

Nice trailer, I´m excited for this game since RPS brought it up the first time.
    Their page says it´s coming out “in september”, while their other games have concrete release dates, hmm…

15. SheffieldSteel says:

And this, boys and girls, is why we don’t leave the bugs alone once we spot them.

16. TWeaK says:

Sadly, I didn’t get the joke until I read your comment :(

17. Vinraith says:

If the game’s half as entertaining as that, it’s a sure winner.

18. Caiman says:

I will only buy this game if they include a special 1930s mode which speeds the game up by 40%, degrades the image, removes all sound effects and plays ragtime piano in the background.

19. Cat says:

That looks extremely fun… how come I’ve never heard of this until now? :O

20. Cat says:

This looks extremely fun – how come I’ve not heard about this until now? :O

21. Malin says:

I didn’t realize the delayed-trailers had made quite a buzz over here, thanks for all the praise!
    We’re working our behinds off to get the game finished and as great as we possibly can so I seldom have time to keep up with the community and articles but am very glad this site has Magicka covered!
    Some of the developers try to have a look from time to time at the Paradox forum and input from the community there so head over to join in! =D http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?496-Magicka

- Malin H.
    developer
    Arrowhead GS

22. rei says:

The bit about leaving the bugs in to be dealt with after release is quite humorous with the benefit of hindsight.

(the game is amazing despite that, of course)

Comment on this story