RPS, EG Expo, And The Indie Games Arcade

By Jim Rossignol on September 14th, 2010 at 1:50 pm.

The Eurogamer Expo is taking place at Earls Court in London from 1st-3rd October. One of the enticements there will be the Indie Games Arcade, organised by indie champions Pixel-Lab. They invited submissions for the expo, as we reported here. Those have now been boiled down to a shortlist, which I’ve posted below. Expo attendees will be able to play a demonstration version of each of those games at the show. Also, splendidly, Pixel-Lab’s David Hayward has invited the Rock, Paper, Shotgun team to be the judges of the best game at the arcade, which will win its own special award. So, indie games, we will be judging you. Even more than normal.

Gemini Rue, Joshua Nuernberger
Fractal, Cypher Studios
Okabu, Handcircus
Frozen Synapse, Mode 7
Revenge of the Ttians, Puppygames
Tiny and Big, Black Pants Game Studio
Scoregasm, Charlie Knight
Nidhogg, Mark Essen
Skulls of the Shogun, Haunted Temple Studios
B.U.T.T.O.N., Copenhagen Game Collective
Swimming Under Clouds, Piece of Pie Studios
Hohokum, Honeyslug

That’s quite a strong list, we feel, which is going to make the judging an interesting process. And it’s all going to come down to our impressions at the expo, too. So let’s hope all this lot get their shiniest levels out.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Zak says:

Why aren’t you at the Tokyo Game Show?

• Arienette says:

I’ll be there, I’ve been wanting to go for years and now the time is upon us.

2. Cooper says:

I like how the Expo represents PC gaming only as console ports and the ‘indie scene.’

• LewieP says:

Last year there were several PC only games present, as well as demos of 3D nonsense by Nvidia.

• Cooper says:

Here’s hoping the ‘what’s on’ list on the Expo website is yet to be fully updated then…

3. Robert says:

Oh, so many links to click. So many gems to be found. See you next week!

Richard Beer says:

Ah Earls Court computer games fairs… This brings back memories of going to ECTS 1998 to interview Robin Walker about the imminent (hah) Team Fortress 2 for the UK Fortress News Desk!

Seniath says:

They snubbed Leeds, so I shall snub them. LALALALALALALALA.

6. Biggles says:

Tempted to go though last London games-related event I went to was full of soul-destroying stereotypes, is this one usually just as bad?

7. Rei Onryou says:

Bought tickets to this last week, so I’m happy to see RPS being part of it. I’ll wear my finest stalking boots.

8. Rob Hale says:

I was turned down for the Indiecade. Boo and hiss at them! BOO! HISS!

I am contemplating just grabbing my laptop and setting up my own impromptu booth right next to them out of spite.

• LewieP says:

I don’t know about next to the indie section, but there would be placed that you could do this (whether they’d try to stop you is a different matter.

Tom Sennet did the same thing at PAX.

• Rob Hale says:

Actually it probably wouldn’t work due to the game currently running like a no legged dog on my laptop. Not the best way to demo it to people.

So the first stage in this plan is to steal somebody else’s laptop. Yes.

• brog says:

I might join you in that.
      Your game looks lovely btw. Just saw the video today, and was wondering how you got so many particles to run smoothly, so I guess I’m not surprised that there are some speed issues. Good luck with that!

9. Sweedums says:

yeah, unfortunately i won’t be able to make it since they got rid of the northern show. I did go to the show in London the first time it was on, but then missed the Leeds show as I had university stuff to do at the time…. was looking forward to going this year though, until they announced it was now only in London :(

funnily enough, I’ll actually be in London the week before for a gig in Shepherds Bush… but I have to get back up north after for Uni again…. it would be better if they hosted this earlier in the summer…

10. Xercies says:

Yeah host it earlier, I’m going down to Uni around now so can’t afford a trip all the way back to London just for the Expo. And I really do want to go to one of these at some point.

11. LewieP says:

I’m there. Say hello if you see me.

12. DMcCool says:

How lovely, this is my first expo and I was fully prepared for a weekend of wading thorugh boothbabes and NINTENDOO because, y’know, its lots of games all in one place. But this? Lovely.

13. Robin says:

Hohokum is worth looking out for. *sly wink, tapping of nose*

Revenge of the Titians sounds pretty highbrow.

14. Cas says:

It may sound highbrow but mostly it involves BLOWING STUFF UP!

How many drinks do I have to buy Kieron before he makes Revenge win? If I buy him too many will I be subjected to sexual advances? Or does that come before the guaranteed win pint?

Hodge says:

That is one damn fine list.

And speaking of Pixel-Lab, did they ever get around to posting video of the talks from World Of Love?