Deus Ex 3′s Non-Revolutionary New Trailer

By Alec Meer on September 16th, 2010 at 12:20 pm.

Dual-wielding, eh? Teenagers will be excited.

Much of this footage has been seen before, but I’m going to post it anyway, as I enjoyed the ludicrous bombast of this clip-mash from the ongoing Tokyo Game Show. Japanese dialogue rather than a clutch of Michael Ironsidealikes seems to add to the gravitas, and the Inception-esque music is so achingly dramatic that I eventually broke down in laughter. Not in a negative way, just in an OH THE INTENSITY way.

Aye, there isn’t much that’s new here, outside of a mohawk-lady with a big gun (our proxy Flatlander Woman?) and hero-ish Jensen in a helmet, in some sort of vehicle that might be the giant rocket glimpsed earlier in the tailer, spilling his Icarus metaphors all over the damned shop. Space adventures for our wannabe-techno-messiah? Or maybe just a fancy bit of CGI.

It’s a fairly sexy trailer, recycled or not, and inspires another of those moments where I shake my head in disbelief that, not only is Deus Ex 3 happening, but someone’s throwing what looks like an absurd amount of money at it. Whatever we might feel about Deus Ex no longer being in Spectorian or Smithian hands, it remains mildly astounding that it’s happening at all.

The great unknown about the game, for me, is the quality of the dialogue and characterisation. I think it’s relatively proved its worth in terms of visuals (so long as you’re down with black’n'gold) and punchy cyber-violence from the previews we’ve seen for far, but for me it’s going to be about whether I want to live in and explore its world, or if it’s going to be fully of irritatingly smarmy growly-men with a fondness for soundbytes. Slick kill animations are all well and good, but I’d also like to give a genuine crap about who lives, who dies and who gets merged with amoral AI constructs.

Obviously Eidos Montreal have been merrily playing around with concepts of religion, conspiracy and politics in the slow-burn marketing effort, so I’m hoping that kind of intelligence is woven smartly into the game.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. ChaK_ says:

That invisible girl looks aweful

• Spatula says:

Yes, if by aweful you mean awesome.

She looked jenuinley unhinged in the extensively accurate 1.5 s clip i saw of her and i’m hoping it’s hinting at some real depth to the game (i.e. exploring some genuinley boil-the-whole-dammned-hutch-let-alone-the-rabbit-insaneness on her part) and that she’s not just boss #1 in level ##.

There’s a part of me that thinks this game might actually turn out to be rather, rather good, but that’s the part of me i keep locked up and thoroughly abused. It’s also the part of me that thought STO wouldn’t be shit.

• Spacewalk says:

She needs a new hair aug her ‘do is malfunctioning.

• Urthman says:

Surely the alt-text for that screenshot should be:

Prince featured on the Deus Ex 3 soundtrack: Confirmed!

• danarchist says:

Hey now I dated a Aussie punk chick that had that exact same hairdo and she was flipping hot! I still count her on my “damn she must have been drunk when she met me” list.

The graphics look beutiful, the scene with the giant “industrial hole” in the middle of large body of water was very final fantasy esque to me. As long as the role playing elements are there and im not required to pound on my space bar to open vents every 45 seconds I will happily throw some money back there way for the art at least :)

• danarchist says:

Wow that was the most spelling and grammar mistakes I have ever made in one post I think hahaha

• Bungle says:

It’s Rihanna with a gun. Looking for that dude that beat her up at the VMA’s a few years ago.

• DrGonzo says:

Looks like a man dressed as a woman with a gun to me. I feel like I must make at least one typo here, but looks like I haven’t. Um, Transvestyte.

• basil says:

So, tight optic camo techno-suits are considered dressing as a woman, now?

• Thants says:

They would be if it were up to me.

2. poop says:

something tells me i will like this trailer better if i never find out what those people are saying in english

3. Larington says:

Looking at that trailer right now, suddenly I want to play the whole game in Japanese with English subtitles.

4. Okami says:

The japanese in the trailer seems strangely fitting, since every image in it is ripped straight from Akira and Ghost in the Shell anyway..

Also, I now want to play this game with japanese voice overs!

• AndrewC says:

First play through in Japanese with no subtitles or you are a big wuss.

• Skurmedel says:

There were subtitles? Lol. I just expected it to be some Lord Byronesque dramatic stuff like it always is in trailers.

There was a lot movie references in there, even som Iron Man in the end.

• Rich says:

Now why would you want to do that? Deus Ex is Japanese.
      Silly people.

• Rich says:

Let me finish: “is… n’t Japanese.”

• AndrewC says:

Because if people give endless monologues of garbled philoso-science in mono-tonal voices *in Japanese*, people will think it is any good.

• Ryan says:

“since every image in it is ripped straight from Akira and Ghost in the Shell anyway..”

As much as I love those movies, 90s cyberpunk somehow feels a little dated. I can’t put my finger on why. They’ve nailed the growing influence of corporations and communication technologies in private life but, as far as I know, they don’t deal with immigration and resource scarcity.

This game will hopefully have something to say about these things.

• Dhatz says:

I’d rather have game in robot universe (completely separate from transformers) than having shitty human voices in any language.

• rei says:

as far as I know, they don’t deal with immigration and resource scarcity.

• squirrel says:

Cyberpunk, Japan is Cyberpunk lol

• Ryan says:

“Segregation of immigrants is the driving force for the whole second series of Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C.”

I stand corrected. I’ve really wanted to watch that series for a long while.

Actually truth be told, I don’t know a whole heap about cyberpunk having only watched a hand full of movies and read a couple of books.

• Tacroy says:

For me, at least, the words people actually say in video game voiceovers are about as useful as the box art – pretty, it’s nice if they’re there, but seriously just let me get on with the game okay guys? I can read about five or six times faster than most voice actors seem to be capable of talking (it’s a combination of a quick reading speed plus the fact that you really only have to look at a couple of words in the sentence to know the content of the whole thing), so I always always always turn on as many subtitles as I can and skip through all the dialog. This is in fact the reason why I much prefer the way games like Animal Crossing or KOTOR did it – semi-random gibbering voices are a nicer counterpoint to reading than some pompous voice actor winding his way through the script.

So yes, if the option is there, I will totally play through this game in Japanese with English subtitles. It will sound significantly more awesome, and the voiceover will be exactly as useful as the English one.

• AndrewC says:

No, no, no: without subtitles. The fate of the world rests on your shoulders but you can’t understand a word anyone is saying to you! You have to bumble around making decisions as best you can, and seeing what happens. it’s the true immersive sim, because you can’t game the narrative!

• sfury says:

Japanese and cyberpunk just match for me better – it’s got the GITS, Akira, Blade Runner feel and Square Enix visuals treatment down so it would be fitting.

Also I’d need outrageously colored subs with funny emoticons and long explanation how that word in the dialogue has 5 different meanings in Japanese and makes an excellent pun, if only you’d understand it…

-_-’

• Dhatz says:

those games you guys play must suck, as there couldn’t be any NPCs who give you information needed for combat, othervise you couldn’t play games in lang you cannot understand.

5. AndrewC says:

Jack’s got her wig on sideways! And has quite extra-ordinarily muscular buttocks. But she does appear to be only wearing *slightly* less armour than the men, which probably counts as some sort of victory in games-world.

6. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Looks like they are showing us there may be reasons to have choices matter to people. Authorities forcefully pushing back crowds of innocents when a bio-person just mowed down a lot of them? If so, the question remains whether the choices you’re presented are of the moral sort and whether they do matter.

I guess what I’m saying is that they show that the choices given could matter.

7. Korgan says:

Were the colours blue and green instead of yellow, you could’ve told me it’s the trailer for a live-action Ghost in The Shell, and I’d believe it.

8. rhizo says:

There certainly seems to be an awful lot of shooting at civilians, armed or not, by the apparent authorities. And the weird-haired lady. Makes one wonder if she’s with the police or a terrorist of some kind. Always nice to not be able to tell the difference.

9. frenz0rz says:

Someone should totally dub the old Deus Ex 1 trailer in Japanese. Just as a comparison!

10. Larington says:

Well, the UK police are already afraid of News Corp, it’s probably only a matter of time before they can order the police to open fire on crowds…

…I’m not serious about that, I also hope I’m not right somehow, someway.

11. Lars Westergren says:

In before the bitter and venom-spewing!

I am looking forward to this game enormously. This, Fallout: New Vegas, Portal 2, the Witcher 2…

My cup runneth over!

12. Snargelfargen says:

Yeah it’s incredibly reminiscent of Ghost in the Shell. In fact, the original GitS movie was recently touched up on blu-ray with black and gold cgi replacing the original hand-drawn greenish night-time scenes. Hmmm…
    Not that I’m complaining, Deus Ex and GitS are two of my favourite things. Hopefully the game will be as intelligent as its inspirations.

13. Theory says:

Getting a bit spoilery toward the end there! Had to stop it. :-(

14. billyblaze says:

the h+ at the end stands for Transhumanism, if anyone cares

• Xurathar says:

Thanks for the translation. I was just wondering what that should mean :).

The trailer is great, btw. Oh, too much Akira. Those Japanese voices make it feel almost like a copy :P.

• .backslash says:

Damn, beat me to it. That little touch at the end really raised my hopes though, that the writers have at least done a modicum of research. If the next trailer makes a mention of Singularity I’ll be a happy nerd.

15. Solivagant says:

“but I’d also like to give a genuine crap about who lives, who dies and who gets merged with amoral AI constructs”

Fantastic quote, Mr. Meer!

The trailer should resonate with the Japanese audience, per the reasons stated above. The hole in the ocean is very intriguing. I felt a tug at the heart when I saw the Deus Ex logo without the “human revolution” stuff, it was there but in japanese I imagine.

16. Monchberter says:

What a shame

17. whaleloever says:

[Deleted - as very probably that's absolute made-up crappity-crap, and in the highly unlikely event it isn't it's a humungo-spoiler which people won't want to discover like that.] – RPS

18. Xercies says:

The Story and style looks very…cyberpunk anime style.

19. apricotsoup says:

I have to say, that bloke being forced to shoot himself looked quite impressive, mostly for the fear on his face.

Could be quite interesting

20. Flakfizer says:

“Slick kill animations are all well and good”

No. Not when they pull you out the carefully crafted immersion to say “Look! You’re playing a game! Here’s an awesome guy doing awesome things! We now return you to your gameplay”.

If i’m proved wrong when the game comes out i’ll eat a greasel.

21. toni says:

the japanese voiceoverartist for Jensen is Batou from GITS2, how come ? this is getting more and more ridiculous with each trailer. it’s CYBAAAARRRR WAAAARRRRR

22. Spacewalk says:

Black and gold isn’t that far off from brown.

23. wcaypahwat says:

We should have more information within six months.

24. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Wait.

Is that woman modelled after Rihanna?

25. Barts says:

Mole… inTENshity!

26. Tarqon says:

This is all just CGI right? I know Sqeenix can make pretty cinematics, I’m more curious about the gameplay at this point.

• toni says:

yep, all CGI but modelled after the game, some death anims are in there. for someone who didn’t wanna become what he is, Jensen sure loves to pose and the game glorifies the augmentation’s use so I don’t know how they wanna make this “part” of his personality feel realistic amidst all the slowmo takedowns. and what I have heard from writing (voiceover in trailer, conversation Tong-Jensen in demo) we have nothing much to look forward too. yeah, and floaty cam. Let’s hope at least the enemy AI is ok and there is not an overabundance over magically indestructible wooden crates around the level. At this point I just hope it’s as “good” as Assassins Creed.

• Dhatz says:

Toni, I believe you are the legal owner or this 2 I just found laying on the ground, emma right?

27. Zwebbie says:

I think DXHR’s designers completely misunderstood what Gunther meant when he said he wanted orange. He wasn’t talking about the graphics.

28. dartt says:

J.C. Denton! I am UNATCO’s FIRST evil ex-boyfriend!

29. Dhatz says:

Oh shit, I need to go watch this home, we don’t have sound or full HD at university terminals.

30. Miked says:

It’s Rihanna with guns!

31. dustin says:

With all these cutscenes of moments that look like they should have been playable, the lack of actual gameplay trailers, and with Square Enix involved, I get this haunting sense that this is turning very rail-roady, no-real-player-decisions JRPG style. I’m terrified.

32. Loopy says:

Within a week?

33. Loopy says:

Euurgh, fail reply to wcaypahwat. :/

34. Loopy says:

Euurgh, fail reply to wcaypahwat. :/

I’m still looking forward to this game however. I’ll try to ignore the marketing “lets make out trailer all action because that’s what the plebs need to see if we’re going to sell enough copies come launch day” men and hope for the best.

35. Bindibadgi says:

Oh I see they’ve finally made a modern Ghost in the Shell game. What’s that, thermoptic camoflauge and body parts that turn into guns? Someone’s been reading Masamune Shirow.

Not a complaint, just an observation ;-)

36. Anthony says:

Hmm.

Giant hole in the ocean has me intrigued.

37. ceson says:

Underwhelmed, and actually worried about how the game will turn out . It seems the game-world is way to high-tech for a prequel. Even if it is explained in the lore, it still look really ridiculous with all the tight black body-suits, sunglasses during nighttime and strange haircuts. Like it’s trying to hard to be futuristic. All japanese sci-fi cartoons that I’ve seen suffer the same problem. So maybe it’s fitting that the trailer made me think of Ghost In The Shell. The problem is that I’ve already seen that movie.

But I’m still hopeful. I mean, it can’t be worse than Invisible War. Can it?

38. Hélder Pinto says:

I still can’t believe we’re gonna get another DeusEx…
    I feel like I’m having a third child, after neglecting my second one and sending it to a psych ward! Whereas my first one has just recently matured having inspired and taught all the kids in the neighborhood how it’s done.

39. 12kill4 says:

Hmmm.. those Eyes certainly seem to performing some kind of Stare…

40. Flaringo says:

Why is the embedding pink?

41. Eddy9000 says:

hisshino

goshujin rinban

42. Boris says:

So everyone speaks japanese in the future?

Also, a very mass effectish sound to the music. Only slightly heavier on the epicspice. I like.

43. Boris says:

So everyone speaks wapaneese in the future?

Very Mass Effectish sound to the music. Only slightly heavier on the epicspice. I like.

44. Simon says:

Like the look, especially with the soundtrack, seems like a higher level bladerunner feel.
    Ah, higher level as opposed to bladerunner’s street level feel, I’m thinking more along the look of the giant corp buildings & offices you get in that movie.

Some stuff seems weird though, like how already out of date & old fashioned the riot police looks in that trailer.
    (compared to current day stuff like: http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/2844/francedoor5542561a.jpg http://media.thestar.topscms.com/images/14/70/065da76141a3802018e613db26b3.jpeg http://i41.tinypic.com/259h5hi.jpg http://i35.tinypic.com/2reo7rl.jpg )

45. tomwaitsfornoman says:

Go Steelers.

46. thesundaybest says:

The number of comments on the female character’s appearance are both expected and yet, at the same time, still slightly frightening.

47. Mut says:

Maybe when the game comes out, it’ll actually be yellow and green.

48. sfury says:

Can we get that game with Japanese voice-over and subs, please?

I’d be willing to forget it’s a Deus Ex game and criticize every way it deviates from the original if they do so.

49. Robin says:

This.

Question is: what assurance are they going to take to make sure their astronomical investment won’t underperform? Let’s hope they won’t sell the game in pieces (yes, I’m looking at you paid DLC).

Comment on this story