Legendary 30% Off For Previously Bowlers

By Kieron Gillen on September 16th, 2010 at 9:25 am.

I still like the Vampire in shades.

After the eyebrow-raising price the original game came out at, I was expecting to be asked to pay full whack for the Blood Bowl Legendary Edition. Mr Dixon tells me that Cyanide have announced that anyone who owns a previous edition of Blood Bowl will get 30% off the new version. You just enter your code into the shop, which will be up in October. Better, they say the game’s price will be about $40 – which, if true and applied universally, is a better deal than the original. Those who picked up the game for four quid in last weekend’s Steam sale will be pleased, I suspect. Unless they hate it.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Choca says:

Cool.

2. Nick says:

Thank god for that.

So, 7-1 rematch then Kieron? ¬_¬

3. Phinor says:

Aww, I might actually buy this now. I wasn’t ready to spend another 50 euros on it (bought it on release date in summer 09). Then again, the cynic in me immediately thought that even if it’s $40 (-30%), it just might be 50€. Last time they used 1:1 conversion rate but lately some publishers have decided to rip us euros even more.

• Archonsod says:

They’re French, so if anything I’d expect it to be the merkins who got ripped off. Although the high price is probably due to VAT.

4. P7uen says:

What?! How did I miss that Blood Bowl Steam deal?!

I expected more from you, RPS. Can you please make sure I read all future Bargain Buckets properly, or you will will lose a loyal fan.

• Grot Punter says:

I feel I should let you know it was also one of those CRAZY Steam deals, 75% off, thus allowing me to abscond with some good ol’ fantasy-fantasy football for only 10 money bucks.

I’m sorry.

5. Soviet Travolta says:

I grabbed it this week-end but for now i’m stuck with a overheating problem, all i can do is playing it low res with my GPU fan roaring. I guess i’ll be glad to have 30% off the next “patch”, if it solves any of my troubles.

• Heliocentric says:

Buy a can of compressed air from a tech shop. Blast all the dust out of the graphics card. Serious, it’ll make a big difference.

• Ignorant Texan says:

And blow-out the entire machine, while you have the case cracked. The last time I did, an entire cat could have been made from the fur clogging everything. It does work wonders.

6. Morte says:

oh man, bad coin flip, totally should’ve bought that steam deal. Why didn’t they announce this like a day or so before? *boggle*

• Anonymous Coward Who Did Not Buy BB on Steam says:

I also didn’t buy it on Steam because I wanted to wait for the Legendary edition and just pay once for the full version.

Well, you certainly managed to trick me, Cyanide! Nothing makes me more eager to buy your game than a clever trick like this!

Well played, sir!

• NoahApples says:

For real, I am super aggravated by that.

• Alex says:

Gamers are so petty sometimes. I bought it for the fun, will have over 40 hours into it by the time Legendary comes out.

7. JuJuCam says:

This must be what it’s like to buy a winning stock option… huh… I like it…

8. jon_hill987 says:

I’m glad they have done this, and I will probably buy LE as a result. It would have been nice of them to make the announcement before the Steam deal though…

9. apricotsoup says:

Unfortunately most of my office didn’t jump on the steam sale fast enough.

Hopefully I’ll still be able to convince people to get it and start up an office league.

10. Nick says:

And now I can’t find my serial key. Here’s hoping support don’t shaft me like they did when I first bought the game for about £40.

11. Gothnak says:

Hey, RPS, can we please have some details about the new campaign mode?

A decent campaign with the AI doing proper team upgrades and match AI and this game will never get uninstalled…

drewski says:

I find it way too hard as is :-D

• Choca says:

@drewski : once you get the hang on the rules, there is no challenge anymore

• apricotsoup says:

There’s been promised a new campaign/story mode.

If you’ve used the new wave & big boy mods you’ll know that the AI can be improved.
      I highly doubt they’ll ever get the AI in this to be as good as any human players though.
      But things like skill selection, stupid dodges, not acting on blitz events, etc. should be highly improved.

drewski says:

I know the rules backwards. I’m just not really used to the tactics.

Once I figure out how to *apply* the rules, then it might become easy.

• Gothnak says:

I don’t need it to be as good as a human because if need be, the AI can always start off with a better team based on the difficultly level, that is pretty easy to balance. The AI just needs to lose games 2-1 rather than 3-0…

When in October, I bet i’m in vegas at the time, so November is playing time :p

drewski says:

Sweet.

Still won’t buy it on release. Will wait for the inevitable Legendary Steam sale, methinks.

DarkNoghri says:

Fear not, all ye (American only, I think) BloodBowl Steam sale missers, Gogamer has had this on sale for a couple months straight (or close to it). $3.90 plus about 3$ shipping. It’s not unheard of for shipping to take a week or two, however.

14. Johnny says:

I bought the steam sale. And then uninstalled the game immediately because of SecuROM.
    I won’t have that shit on my PC.

• Heliocentric says:

I know about starforce slowing dvd drives down so much that they break. But what is the beef with securom and don’t like 50% of games have it?

• malkav11 says:

I have never heard of SecuROM actively damaging anyone’s system (although I won’t say for sure that it hasn’t). It’s evil, but it’s evil mostly in the sense that it is thoroughly anticonsumer when deployed with its activation server/install limit bullshit functionality (it does not have to be – it’s been used as a simple disc check for years). And the time to make a stand against that is -before purchasing-, when you can avoid giving the offending company your hard earned currency. When you already have, you may as well play the game you paid for. It will make no difference to the company or their use of SecuROM if you refuse on principle.

• Ignorant Texan says:

A lot of people consider SecuRom to be malware. There are reports of hard-drives suiciding because of SecuRom, though these could be cases of correlation not equating to causation. Besides the install limits, it fragments itself and is extremely difficult to track the pieces down. They are very tight-lipped as to what programs trigger its protection scheme, so people have no idea as to what they need to re/move. In my case it decided it didn’t like my on-board audio, wouldn’t run the program, trashed my video-drivers, and made it difficult to get my machine out of safe-mode. It took me three days, and a visit from a much savvier friend with his lap-top to get back to relatively normal. I rarely say never, but in this case I will NEVER buy another program that uses SecuRom. Which is why I’m glad 1C has some games on GoG.

Here are some Amazon Threads about SecuRom http://www.amazon.com/gp/communities/search/ref=cm_cd_search_basic_dp?cdQuery=SecuRom&cdPage=1&x=9&y=12

Here’s a link on removing SecuRom http://reclaimyourgame.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=282&Itemid=106

15. clive dunn says:

RESULT! Got this in the steam sale purely on the thinking (rather optimistically) that the new game would be discounted for first game owners. Do they fear the L4D 1/2 shitstorm in a teacup?
    I’m guessing it’s not got a new engine or anything (not that it really needs it) , just a load of new races to play.

16. Tom O'Bedlam says:

NERDRAGE!

Balls, I thought I was being clever ignoring the sale as I’m intending to get Legendary. Cyanide are cleary evil, evil Frenchmen.

17. Easydog says:

Hooray!

18. Rob says:

Interestingly, 30% off $40 is about $12. Even if you bought the steam version and use that discount, it only really shakes out to a couple bucks in savings.

Regardless, the prospect of more races and all that stuff? I’m game.

Though, I’ll be thoroughly brassed off if Relic tries their hand at turn-based stuff and picks up Blood Bowl and/or Space Hulk. Unlikely, agreed, but still. STILL.

19. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Wow. I must say, that was unexpected. I didn’t ever begin to suspect Cyanide was willing to do things like this.

20. jackflash says:

I never really thought I’d like the game that much, but picked it up on the steam sale and it’s easily become my favorite title of the year. Can’t wait to pick up the LE.

21. Navagon says:

I bought DE Ed a while back for £5. Which means I’d be getting more of a discount than I actually paid for it. Pretty sweet. But I’ll probably do the same and wait for a bigger discount elsewhere online.

22. Malibu Stacey says:

I guess 30% is better than nothing but it’s still pretty ridiculous to expect people to fund your development of a game by releasing an unfinished version of the game first as a full price product & then offer them a token discount on the full release. Especially when a huge company like Games Workshop are the involved.

Perhaps I’m spoiled by games developers such as VALVe, Arcen Games etc who treat their customers like customers rather than fools to be parted from their cash in the most cynical manner possible.

One has to wonder how finished this version will be on release. The current fully patched version of the original game is still missing or has glaring bugs in a huge chunk of rules from LRB5 (e.g. Bloodweiser Babes & other inducements, Weather, Journeymen, star players) & the majority of skills are still bugged as the last patch they released was just after New Year (9 months+ ago).

Don’t get me started on the parts of the game design Cyanide actually had to do themselves like the UI, networking, matchmaking, league admin…..

23. Neil says:

I bought this game when it first came out. Botched campaign, insufficiently challenging AI, and high price. If they gave this away as a free update, I might think about giving the game another try. As it is, staying far away.

24. fabamatic says:

:( I didn’t grab the one on Steam sale because I was waiting for the legendary edition, they should have made this point clear sooner!. Guess I will have to wait a few years for a sale on legendary edition.

25. bill says:

Gah! They tricked us into ignoring the steam sale so we could get the better version when we could have got it cheaper! The sneaky swine!

26. laikapants says:

I feel yet again compelled to point out that the US Amazon has it for $6.63 and the UK Amazon has it for £9.99. So if you missed the sale, fear not your spending money to save money opportunity still exists.

27. Vinraith says:

This is good news, but I’d have cared a lot more before I read this Q&A:

No significant improvement to the AI and NO MODDING SUPPORT in Legendary Edition so no one else can fix it either. Considering the existence of FUMBBL, I can’t fathom why Cyanide isn’t more interested in making a Blood Bowl game with a proper single player experience.

• Tetragrammaton says:

Its not Cyanide, its Games workshops facially draconian and backward IP obsession. They never seem to tire of dropkicking their fans in the face.

• Tetragrammaton says:

farcically fail

• Vinraith says:

GW may be responsible for the lack of modding, but it’s Cyanide that doesn’t seem to think a competent AI opponent is remotely important.

28. Andy says:

I bought this on day one release as a direct download from Cyanide though. I don’t remember getting any code of speak of, just a link to download the installer.
    That and I don’t see anywhere on the Cyanide site that would allow me to re-download said installer if I ever lost it.
    I’m looking forward to the legendary edition but I doubt I’ll pay full price for it all again if I can’t find my code…

29. Soviet Travolta says:

Well thanks a lot for the heads up, seems i’ve gained a good 10°c after cleaning. The game is still awfully slow to load but at least the computer is silent!

30. Bottes UGG says:

C’est cool ! Votre article est cool ! Et de plus, j’aime bien la doublure en laine de bottes ugg. Vous l’aimez aussi ? Venez portez ces bottes pour l’hiver ! Les bottes ugg sont en soldes. Tout est moins chers!