Crykey: The Real-Life Nanosuit

By Alec Meer on September 20th, 2010 at 11:18 pm.

Given my height, I'd need a Nano-nanosuit

He calls himself Master Le Cosplay. Going on this, he’s probably right. This gentleman has built himself a frighteningly detailed Crysis Nanosuit, complete with weapons. Super-strength, speed and invisibility TBC. Though frankly invisibility’s going to be nigh-on impossible looking like that.

Is it terrible that my first response when I saw the pictures of the finished item was “I wonder what on Earth the other people in that apartment block thought when they looked out their window and saw a futuristic gunman wandering around?” All that fine DIY effort would be for naught if he got himself shot in the head by a panicked SWAT team.

“Took about 1 month of work time to finish,” quoth he. “All of the suit muscle striations are hand crafted one by one, and sewn together. All working lights “cloak lights”, and etc.”

More pictures of the Nanosuit here, and more costumes here. His real name’s Anthony, but let’s stick with Master Le Cosplay.

, , .

1. qrter says:

Ah! But does it have the most important part of the nanosuit, the electronic voice telling you which power you just activated/deactivated..?

2. bleeters says:

I’d be suprised if Ubisoft don’t sue him for copyright infringement. Not because that’s at all reasonable, that’s just how I envision Ubisft these days.

Anyway, impressive stuff.

3. The Juice says:

Jesus, HK XM8′s are horrible. Why every shooter hops all over them like a fat kid to cookies is beyond me.

4. pupsikaso says:

Would be cool if I knew what Crysis was? =/ Is it on a console?

• subedii says:

A fairly divisive and very system intensive FPS released a few years ago.

Some people felt it was fairly shallow and just a tech demo (other people). Some felt it was a really awesome game in its own right (me, and possibly some other dudes).

• Skinlo says:

I very solid PC exclusive shooter released in 2007, that still stands as one of the best looking games out there. Very demanding at the time, still demanding now (PC requirements wise). Needless to say, it didn’t sell as well as perhaps it should have , the new version is coming out on consoles this autumn I think.

• bob_d says:

@ subedii : To be fair, any shooter that comes out on a brand-new, licensable engine is intended to be a tech demo as well as a game. It’s just a matter of which is done more successfully.

• airtekh says:

I just finished a first-time playthrough of Crysis recently, and while I was expecting the beautiful graphics, I was pleasantly surprised when I also found a very solid FPS to back them up.

I really enjoyed it. It had a great ‘Hollywood Blockbuster’ feel to it as I played, and the sheer scale in the game’s environments is enormous.

• deimos says:

Did any of the licensors of the Crysis engine even manage to release a game or even a demo?

5. Metalfish says:

If Quinns had posted this, he get a slap on the wrist and told that RPS isn’t like that harlot; kotaku, who’ll fling her filthy bandwidth at whatever’s going.

Only logical conclusion: Alec hates Quinns. ;)

• Alec Meer says:

Never forget: a gaming website making an oocasional game-culture post that could potentially also appear on Kotaku means that site is now exactly the same as Kotaku.

• Metalfish says:

There was a smilies face! Spare the banhammer, o wrathful one!

6. subedii says:

I am actually looking forward to Crysis 2. I hope it doesn’t just become a corridor shooter and still has the expansive levels to play around in.

I wasn’t expecting much from the plot (the first was fairly lacklustre there), but when they got Richard Morgan on-board to write it, and I saw the interview, I became a lot more hopeful that it’ll turn out to be something pretty good. The fact that EA are putting their weight behind this in an attempt to make it their “Halo killer” or whatever shows that they at least feel it’s a high quality product in the making.

Basically, don’t you let me down Crytek.

• DrGonzo says:

I’ve lost quite a bit of faith after seeing the multiplayer in action. It’s been scaled down massively, and I can see them doing the same thing in the singleplayer, which would pretty much remove all of it’s appeal.

• subedii says:

Well the multiplayer they showcased was pretty much just Team Deathmatch, there wasn’t really much to see there.

More to the point, I felt the multiplayer in Crysis 1 was pretty much just a not-that-good take on Battlefield to be honest.

I was really really hoping that they’d finally throw in two-player co-op, because Crysis 1 would have been amazing with two player co-op. Alas, doesn’t look like they were interested in doing that here either.

• Tacroy says:

Whoa, if Richard Morgan’s still that happy about it the story will probably rock. His Altered Carbon series was basically an FPS except, you know, books. He’s perfect for the sort of world Crysis wants to paint.

• Xercies says:

To me its looking like another linear modern shooter which is not what i want out of a Crysis sequel.

7. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

The real question is….Does it have the “MAXIMUM CLENCH” mode? Those buttocks won’t tight themselves, y’know

8. AsubstanceD says:

If he finds the right girl that could lead to some really exciting and unique role play!

• Mad Doc MacRae says:

She’d have to be Korean because I think it’d be pretty hard to make her a wearable alien costume.

• TheFlyingWooly says:

I foresee much choking in that relationship.

• Xercies says:

Isn’t that every geeks dream?

9. ShowMeTheMonkey says:

A little short for a storm trooper eh?

• Jugglenaut says:

@ShowMeTheMonkey

I’m glad I’m not the only one that thought that.

10. Starky says:

h intrests, arts, crafts (good so far) then “working out, nerd” don’t those 2 interests automatically cancel each other out? Like anti-matter touching normal matter.

11. Chosech says:

Oh, I remember this guy. The angry fitness midget. Shame he’s such a jerk.
    …I think he even got told off by Adam Savage once.

thesundaybest says:

The above discussion of rifles sent me on a Wikipedia journey through firearms. I had no idea all these crazy guns actually exist. Except ones shooting bees, which is just short-sighted – bees can kill anything.

13. kupocake says:

^ NECA are making a miniature Nano Suit action figure for those who like Minimum Buttocks.

And then there’s the super pricey Nano edition of the game with a statue. No idea who is making that.

14. Vedjes! says:

Any idea about title of the music playing in this trailer? Is it original crysis soundtrack or just brought somewhere

15. Radiant says:

I love cosplayers.
    The costumes look great but there is always something off.

Either it’s a great street fighter Ken complete with flaming hand but brown hair, a perfect master chief but fat or in this case the costume is great but he’s about 4 foot 1.

• Radiant says:

b/w I never understood the korean army’s obsession with Bill Odie everytime they ran out of bullets.

16. Thiefsie says:

He almost looks Korean! Maximum conspiracy.

17. Brumisator says:

CRYKEY!

Oh RPS, your silly puns make the sun shine for me, even in the middle of the night.

18. august says:

Way too much bloom in this screenshot.

19. Gunsmith AKA NanosuitNinja says:

/approves

looks a little rough tho :)

20. Monkeybreadman says:

Its when you realise he’s about 5ft 4″ that it starts getting funny

• OldRat says:

Hey now, I’m sure the supersoldier project doesn’t discriminate against the vertically unendowed. Actually, it probably does, but now my crude sense of humor is demanding someone to make a “mini-mod” for Crysis.

“You can do it, Mini-Nomad! We believe in you! Use your invisibility to make them stop laughing at you! Then switch to maximum strength and punch them in the groin!”

• Monkeybreadman says:

MAXIMUM – MINIMUM

21. A Punctual Nord says:

As my inebriation increases I am progressively more entertained by these comments.

I’m not sure what that means….

22. Torqual says:

Nice work and Master Cosplay is really handsome. The suit suits him well.

Have a nice day.

23. whaleloever says:

Um…can he actually move in that? It’s all very well having the world’s ultimate armour system, but if you can’t actually walk around it kind of defeats the purpose. Maybe he has wheels.

24. Bill says:

Ha ha, ha ha, ha ha ha

Yep, noticed that too, funny how the guys who build these costumes are never 6’4′ and all rippling muscles geek gods. But then, if they were they probably wouldn’t spend months at a time building themselves costumes of computer game characters

25. markcocjin says:

Speaking of angry midget dudes…

26. SewerShark says:

I don’t think you can sue over a cosplay, but hey, what do I know?:

27. Fumarole says:

PC Gamers ridiculing someone regarding their body is amusing beyond words.

28. brixter says:

This is a very detailed Nano Suit cosplay! Playing Crysis 2 with this suit on would be awesome or they can use this for the expo!

29. Pete75 says:

Maximum WHAT FOR?

30. m says:

I have better cosplay of helmet. Paper Pepakura model. Just like in game.

31. Janel Vulpo says:

I got laid off six months ago and though I’d try olling for a work from home job but had no luck what so ever.