Tux And Roll: Blood Stone Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on September 20th, 2010 at 7:31 am.

What is going to happen to Bond? With the films on hiatus it seems all we really have to look forward to from the smooth agent is a Daniel Craig facsimile doing his “the Bourne Movies were quite good” routine in a tux. It’s a shame. It’s not that Blood Stone looks particularly bad, as you can see from the trailer below, it’s just that, well, I was watching Roger Moore and Christopher Walken ham about in A View To A Kill last night, and I couldn’t help feeling that Bond might be wandering too far from what made it great. Without humour, we are getting just another action movie, and without the classic billionaire-genius villains, well, what’s the point in deploying Britain’s greatest espionage asset? It wasn’t like this in my day. I remember when all this was green fields. These steamships are ruining everything.

In-game footage aplenty, below.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Fwiffo says:

Does this secret military base share a car park with a casino? Why’s he wearing a tux there?

2. spod says:

Sharing a striking resemblance to Conviction. Which I kinda enjoyed.

But this looks pap.

Hmm.

3. Bungle says:

Beware the Activision console port…

4. Xercies says:

I also agree that the Bond movies are going far away from what made them popular for me, when I was a kid i was really enamoured by the combination of action, silly villians, and a suave highly quipped man in the form of Sean connery and Roger Moores bonds. Looking at the latest Daniel Craig stuff with its highly serious, bourne esque and no quips really Its not Bond to me.

• Spatula says:

BUt to be fair they are moving CLOSER to the books. In the Books bond’s a bastard, so although it’s moving away from the ‘straightening your tie underwater in a speedboat’ thing, you can’t say it’s not true to the series.

• iainl says:

Personally, as someone who loved FRWL and Goldfinger, but hated most of the Moore era (FYEO had its moments, admittedly), this lack of incessant 4th-wall comedy that breaks my suspension of disbelief is _exactly_ what I like about Craig!Bond.

• jeremypeel says:

Aye – and there’s plenty of good humour in the New Bond, it’s just subtle and good, rather than invisible and silly. I think we’ve had enough of invisible and silly for a while; Daniel Craig feels like MY classic Bond era. I only hope it hasn’t been finished prematurely, bloody studios.

• Barrow says:

I have to second you, Spatula. While I initially enjoyed the Bond movies, what truly captured my imagination and set the bar for me were the books. After watching the first few scenes of Casino Royale and realizing that the movies were actually attempting to emulate the books, my jaw hit the floor in amazement.

Personally, I feel that any step towards Ian Flemming’s version of Bond is a good step.

5. neolith says:

I would’ve liked a first person shooter way better…

• iainl says:

As much as I enjoyed GoldenEye at the time, 1st-person seems a bit of a waste of the license. It was bloody hard work for Rare to remind us that we’re James Bond, rather than the standard disembodied head with a gun attached of FPS games. Looking at Tomb Raider for example, it’s a lot easier to give the player a character when you literally give the player a character on the screen.

There’s a LOT wrong with Gears of War; I generally hated the game (apparently, it’s the co-op which makes it, which I didn’t try before getting rid of it). But I’ll at least hand it the recognition that it showed perfectly acceptable running around and shooting at stuff mechanics while being 3rd-person.

• CMaster says:

Agreed, making an FPS (or even just a game about shooting) seems to miss the opportunity for a bong film really. It’s not the gunfights that are the fun bits of Bond films. It’s the subtrefuge (badly executed and leading to a gun fight), the ridiculous stunts necessary to get in to the lair, the boat chase as they escape, etc.

• jeremypeel says:

Gravity Bone! Blendo could make a great Bond FPS.

6. matte_k says:

Does anyone else find it hard to watch Bond on DVD? I’m so used to watching them on TV when I was growing up, I keep expecting advert breaks at specific points in the film, and then get confused when it doesn’t happen :)
    On a side note-best Bond Villain? The recent ones don’t seem to have much in the way of memorable personalities, or unusual henchmen/assassins…

7. dudekiller says:

I’m pretty sure some of the things he did wouldn’t actually “take” a guy “out”. I’m imagining levels will be littered with men stumbling around clutching their stomachs going “OW! OOOOOOW! Fuck! You BASTARD! OW!”

8. jeremypeel says:

My favourite bit in the trailer comes when he punches Sam Fisher in the guts.

Come to think of it, there’s an awful lot of punching in that trailer. It actually looks rather good.

9. Stu says:

I have a lot of faith in Bizarre Creations — have they ever made a bad game? And with a mix of fighting and driving, this takes us one step closer to the glory days of the late 80s/early 90s when every level of a movie tie-in game was different. All it needs is a logic puzzle level thrown in for no good reason and we’re there.

• iainl says:

Have they ever made a bad game? The Club.

Still, I loved Fur Fighters, so it’s not like they _can’t_ make a decent shooting game.

oceanclub says:

I was a small child during the Moore era, and even then I realised those films were shite (the best is Moonraker for sheer loopiness and those rather beautiful shots of space warfare with John Barry’s stirring theme music over them). Casino Royale was GRATE. Sad face at the MGM antics which means there probably won’t be another outing with Daniel Craig.

P.

11. Burglar says:

“James Bond: Arkham Asylum” anyone?

• Heliocentric says:

The only people who were ever scared of bond were the main villains, everyone else assumed he’d be easy to stop. But the only people who don’t wet themselves at the sight of batman are the main villains.

Between them you’d have soiled pants all round.

12. free2game says:

Really though? A View To A Kill, that’s easily the worst of the old bond films.

• Schadenfreude says:

But Christopher Walken was awesome in it..

But that’s inevitably what’s said about every Walken movie. He is in a lot of shit but generally escapes unscathed.

13. Kadayi says:

In with spatula as well. I remember reading a few of the Books when I was younger and Bond just came across as a thug with an education. Albeit the films might of had a degree of humour to them, that wasn’t ever part of the books and personally I prefer the book approach even if that means it draws rather unfair comparisons to Bourne (Bond pre-dates Bourne after all).

• Kadayi says:

Oh FFs WTF is up with the reply system Hivemind?

Maybe put some of that Eurogamer money to getting a decent comments system on the go?

Above post was in response to Spatula…