Regeneration: Doctor Who Gets 2nd Series

By Kieron Gillen on September 21st, 2010 at 3:00 pm.

We’ve travelled into the distant past of yesterday to discover the news that after the success – 1.6 million downloads for the first three episodes, apparently – of the first series of Doctor Who games, they’ll be doing it all again. Once again, it’ll be by the BBC Wales TV team (including Moffat, et al) and Sheffield’s Sumo Digital. Matt Smith and my squiffy namesake return, but there’s “additional members of the Doctor Who cast”. It’s also said that they’ll be “an integral part of the Eleventh Doctor’s second series.” Whether that means any more than just being “canon” remains to be seen. Brits can still download the first three episodes here, with the fourth and final of series one coming out later in the year. More information when we have it, but no sign that they consider the first games’ formula anything other than a roaring success, which will be a disappointment to the games’ critics like our very own Alec Meer.

, , .

1. SheffieldSteel says:

I’d just like to say that Karen Gillan has nice legs, but I am afraid of typing that first name wrong… and there is no edit function.

2. Ian says:

I’ve still not played any of these. :-X

3. sdg_lm says:

I reviewed the first two of these for another site and while we may not have found gaming’s Citizen Kane yet we certainly do have it’s Eldorado.

4. Alex Bakke says:

Retardis.

5. Urael says:

Yay! More games that I’ll play once, not complete, and forget about! Actually, that’s me picking on myself, not just simple snark. I never seem to finish games any more…!! Possibly because there’s always another one lurking, waiting to be played….

That third game (pictured) is the one I most want to play, because we get to see more of the Tardis than the show puts on display, but haven’t actually downloaded yet. Better do that before the BBC disappears GOG style!

PS: Hurrah for new Doctor Who games, even critical disappointments!

• Xercies says:

You say that last thing as a joke…but under the Conservatives it may look like a possibility…

• SF Legend says:

Hate to break it to you, but you only get to see one room that wasn’t shown in the series, as well as the control room you see all the time.

6. Deuteronomy says:

Xercies,

One can only hope, one can only hope . . . And if they get pushed off a cliff I’d like to see the CBC go over to socialist heaven with them.

I’m sure everyone would agree it’s only reasonable that you shouldn’t be forced to pay for Doctor Who if you aren’t a science fiction fan.

• Hidden_7 says:

The BBC has lots of different shows, not just Doctor Who. I pay for cable despite the fact that I don’t like 100% of the things that service offers.

And really, the CBC? It’s so benign. It costs each Canadian like $30/yr. Personally, I think that’s pretty good value. I’m trying to think of another service I could get for that little, and I’m at a loss. Maybe the “Cup of Coffee a Month” program, where I buy a cup of coffee every month. To be fair, it’d be a pretty nice cup of coffee.

7. BiggerJ says:

The ‘integral part’ thing could have something to do with the new TV season’s structure: it’ll be split in two. Two premieres, two finales, and a game-changing twist at the end of the first half. The second series of games may take place between the two halves, exploring the new status quo.

8. Hulk Hogan says:

The show is awful so I’m not expecting the game to be any better.

9. Ugly American says:

The Dr. Who franchise turns a profit for the BBC.

Now religions are parasites and should be taxed.