Empire State Of Mind: Babycastles Kickstarter

By Kieron Gillen on September 22nd, 2010 at 3:00 pm.

To be honest, I'm a sucker for Neon Signs.
There’s a lot of kickstarter projects around, but this is one which I think some of you will find interesting. Hell, even the people who will bristle against it. Babycastles is a NYC-based indie-arcade project, and have been doing events for a while. What do they want to do with the money? Take it to central NY: “By presenting six consecutive 2-week exhibitions of independent video games at the center of New York, Babycastles is looking forward to showcasing international game development to a wide audience of game enthusiasts, students, press, curators, children, and especially to an audience that may never otherwise encounter the variety of activity in video game culture. It will be an incredible arcade in Times Square!” Go to their kickstarter for more details on what they’ve been up to, some footage and the benefits for pledging. Oh – and here’s the LA Times covering it. Really, this is like a transmission from another gaming dimension. I hope they pull it off, not least because I’m in NY then so will be able to go.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. qrter says:

This sounds excellent. Let’s hope it will cover the whole spectrum of indie gaming, by which I mean: also cover the more obscure titles/companies/persons – actually, if they really do 2 weeks, I’m sure they will.

• Oozo says:

One of the games they have been showing was Messhoff’s “Nidhogg”, so I guess that more obscure people and games are actually in.

I’m hesitating to pay a little, not because I would ever have a chance to get to NYC, but because it’s a neat idea that I would love to be tried in other places as well.

2. haircute says:

Nothing ruins a good idea like NYC.

Vitamin Powered says:

Yeah, this sounded like an amazing idea, full of potential, up until the point New York was mentioned. Now it’s a NY thing, and no matter how hard they try it’ll never work.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Could you explain for us Euro people? What are NY things and why don’t they work?

3. dhex says:

big ups to the babycastles folk. have you been to the venue/ in ridgewood?

4. Skusey says:

If you do manage to go to NYC while it’s on could you cover it please? It sounds interesting.

5. Robin says:

It’s a good idea, a bit hipster-y in execution/curation though.

I find the name really annoying for some reason, possibly because it sounds like a horrible twee band name. Or too much like Edible Castle.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Are hipsters not a good audience for games? Shouldn’t there be games for everyone? I’d quite like to see hipster games, actually.

6. modulus says:

KG, when will you be in NYC, just out of curiosity?

Regardless, I’ll be heading to their new space. I really enjoyed the time I spent at their Ridgewood location. This has great potential.

7. babycastles says:

This is definitely something not expected. Arcades are definitely not somethign that poeple would expect to see opening in a newer and more modern fashion. Who knows, this could lead to other arcade openings in the future.